Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:04 pm

The Originals (by Dave Gibbons) - I've been wanting to read this for a while but never got around to picking it up. Finally found a copy for 9 bucks. Really good but short story. It sort of reminded me of A Long Hot Summer but with English mods and hovering sci fi bikes instead of being grounded in reality. A bit more violent than I expected too but not as bad as to be unbelievable. I enjoyed the black white grey feeling and layout of the book. This kind of thing would make a great film. I wonder how much of it is based on Gibbons' actual life too.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Anyway, came home with a decent haul:

Wonder Woman vol. 2: Guts
All Star Western vols 1 and 2
The Originals
Avengers Omnibus vol. 1 (for $40, yet again!)
The Maxx vols 3-5

The tpbs were $9 each except the Nu52 stuff which was $12 each. I think the Wonder Woman was $10 though.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 am

All New Xmen vols 1-13 - it's an interesting take on the xmen but not one I love. Jean is annoying and the shared universe makes it hard for me to appreciate what's going on. I also care nothing for the time displaced xmen. Bendis writing is more tolerable than before and he doesn't do too much of the trailing dialogue but there are still annoying bendis-y moments. The art is good though. I love the idea of Mystique and Sabertooth buying Madripoor.

Thanks to pizza dog for the codes.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Keb wrote:The Originals (by Dave Gibbons) - I've been wanting to read this for a while but never got around to picking it up. Finally found a copy for 9 bucks. Really good but short story. It sort of reminded me of A Long Hot Summer but with English mods and hovering sci fi bikes instead of being grounded in reality. A bit more violent than I expected too but not as bad as to be unbelievable. I enjoyed the black white grey feeling and layout of the book. This kind of thing would make a great film. I wonder how much of it is based on Gibbons' actual life too.

I've always wanted to read it too.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am

I read Detective Comics Vol 2 - Scare Tactics - well, mostly. Why doors Mr. Toxic look like a Red Hood clone. Enjoyed the main stuff, confused by the pre-nu 52 epilogue, was this part of Year Zero/pre-Flashpoint? In the two-face stuff now, not really holding my interest.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 am

I re-read Fury Max My War Gone By volume 1 and then read volume 2. This is great writing and great art.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:34 am

Keb wrote:The Originals (by Dave Gibbons) - I've been wanting to read this for a while but never got around to picking it up. Finally found a copy for 9 bucks. Really good but short story. It sort of reminded me of A Long Hot Summer but with English mods and hovering sci fi bikes instead of being grounded in reality. A bit more violent than I expected too but not as bad as to be unbelievable. I enjoyed the black white grey feeling and layout of the book. This kind of thing would make a great film. I wonder how much of it is based on Gibbons' actual life too.

I enjoyed this greatly when I read it a few years ago. Loved the art. It definitely caught the spirit of the history of what his youth would have been like.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 am

Keb wrote:All New Xmen vols 1-13 - it's an interesting take on the xmen but not one I love. Jean is annoying and the shared universe makes it hard for me to appreciate what's going on. I also care nothing for the time displaced xmen. Bendis writing is more tolerable than before and he doesn't do too much of the trailing dialogue but there are still annoying bendis-y moments. The art is good though. I love the idea of Mystique and Sabertooth buying Madripoor.

I have been reading this book since the crossover...it is the only x title I still read.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm reading this:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

I saw that the other day and was tempted to get it but I already have the tpbs.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:I read Detective Comics Vol 2 - Scare Tactics - well, mostly. Why doors Mr. Toxic look like a Red Hood clone. Enjoyed the main stuff, confused by the pre-nu 52 epilogue, was this part of Year Zero/pre-Flashpoint? In the two-face stuff now, not really holding my interest.

The Two-Face story definitely got better as it went.

The art was a big problem with it. It was hard to tell who was who or, for instance, when Harvey kills Freakshow's brother fixing impossible to tell what was going on period.

Loved the last short about the rookie in the evidence room.

Now on to Avengers: Endless Wartime.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Keb wrote:All New Xmen vols 1-13 - it's an interesting take on the xmen but not one I love. Jean is annoying and the shared universe makes it hard for me to appreciate what's going on. I also care nothing for the time displaced xmen. Bendis writing is more tolerable than before and he doesn't do too much of the trailing dialogue but there are still annoying bendis-y moments. The art is good though. I love the idea of Mystique and Sabertooth buying Madripoor.

thefourthman wrote:I have been reading this book since the crossover...it is the only x title I still read.

All-New X-Men is great and stands on it's own but it's even better if you read Uncanny X-Men. Bendis does a really good job making them work well together as companion pieces.
ImageImageImage

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:00 am

thefourthman wrote:Now on to Avengers: Endless Wartime.

That was awesome! Recently, we started a graphic novel club in Durham. I picked this as my first pick, for the third meeting in January, mostly as an excuse to buy it. I was thoroughly impressed. It's Ellis at his superhero best, throwing in elements from the movies (Cap and Tony, the core team here), his personal fav runs (sleepers, Clint is straight out of West Coast) and possibly current stuff (Is this the way the new hulk book is? If so, I want to read!); while notforgetting that he is Ellis throwing in high concept Sci-Fi elements. Loved it a bunch! McKone is good as usual, some problem with static posing as always and I think Keith's coloring is misguided, but neither diminishes what is a great read with a cinematic feel and brilliant design work by Hughes.

Next up, Hawkeye V 1.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Keb wrote:I saw that the other day and was tempted to get it but I already have the tpbs.

I had never read Fraction's Hawkeye.

Now I understand why everyone referred to him as Hawkguy.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Arion wrote:I had never read Fraction's Hawkeye.

Now I understand why everyone referred to him as Hawkguy.

Bro, because his name is Hawkguy bro! 8)

What do you think of the book so far?
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand