Thursday, May 5, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Brought to you by the lowest bidder!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm

MikeinLA wrote:Has anyone here been reading Satellite Sam? The first trade comes out in a couple of weeks and I'm debating whether or not to buy it.

One of the best first issues I read in 2013 was Fraction's Sex Criminals.

And also one of the worst first issues I read in 2013 was Fraction's Satellite Sam.

I'd advise you to try Sex first.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 am

Arion wrote:Check my Hawkeye review here:

http://www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

And please leave me a comment!

Nice review, not too spoilery, when does Hawkeye steal the money from the villains?

Also, I refrained from commenting on the blog, but Aja's work is hardly innovative. The most spectacular work on issue 7 and 11 are homages to Chris Ware. I do like his grid work and layout flow though. Like I said above, it is a highly derivative book, but that is not a bad thing, it is a love letter to the people they are referencing from Bru's Criminal to the Romance comics of the sixties.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 am

Next up in actual print is Snyder and Francavilla's Batman: The Black Mirror.

Woody

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I just got in The Man-Thing omnibus and Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders vol. 1. The Man-Thing omnibus clocks in at 1188 pages. I read some great reviews on Steve Gerber's work at least. You can't go wrong with The Defenders. I've got some reading ahead of me.

If you like Gerber's stuff, pick up Howard the Duck's Essential collection next

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:Nice review, not too spoilery, when does Hawkeye steal the money from the villains?

Also, I refrained from commenting on the blog, but Aja's work is hardly innovative. The most spectacular work on issue 7 and 11 are homages to Chris Ware. I do like his grid work and layout flow though. Like I said above, it is a highly derivative book, but that is not a bad thing, it is a love letter to the people they are referencing from Bru's Criminal to the Romance comics of the sixties.

I think Hawkeye takes the money in issue # 3 or 4.
The homages are evident, and even if the book is derivative it is still a little different than most Marvel or DC titles.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Arion wrote:
I think Hawkeye takes the money in issue # 3 or 4.
The homages are evident, and even if the book is derivative it is still a little different than most Marvel or DC titles.

Agreed, when I reread Vol 1 for the gnc on February, I'll look out for it.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm

All excellent

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Zero wrote:Image

All excellent

Even Sex? I read the first four issues and I found them painfully boring, the only thing I actually enjoyed was Casey's column / letters section at the end of each issue.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Picked this up for £7 in the Travelling Man sale.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:02 am

Arion wrote:
Even Sex? I read the first four issues and I found them painfully boring, the only thing I actually enjoyed was Casey's column / letters section at the end of each issue.

It was a really slow start, glad the trade was 8 issues because I liked the art enough to keep going.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Zero wrote:
It was a really slow start, glad the trade was 8 issues because I liked the art enough to keep going.

I liked the art too. And the coloring. I even liked the lettering (it has such a pretty lettering).

But I didn't find anything special in the story.

GiveWarAChance

Fagorstorm

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 am

The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus: Michelinie/McFarlane - I started reading Amazing Spider-Man regularly with the last few issues in this omnibus. I think I've read six of the issues in this. Most of this will be new to me.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:Next up digitally is Days of Future Past.

I really enjoyed that. I like how Kitty is made super important right away. Hated the Cyclops history of the X-men though.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Punchy wrote:Image

Picked this up for £7 in the Travelling Man sale.

Looks like something I would enjoy reading.

TONGO

Whippersnapper

Postby TONGO » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:36 am

Im right now reading all the Jonathan Hickman INFINITY, with Avengers & New Avengers tie ins.

It will be a graphic novel so I hope that counts.

leave a comment with facebook