Saturday, January 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Zero wrote:Image

I've read issues #1 & #0. And they were brilliant.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 am

Secret Avengers by Rick Remender (all of it)

I halfheartedly read the AvX stuff because it was garbage, but this is the first time I've readthe entire thing in one sitting. It's really quite enjoyable for a short little run of like 15 or so issues. The stuff with the serpent crown was okay but it was nice that Remender got to wrap up the story of Father and the descendants he began in Uncanny X-Force. I also liked what he did with the third Ant-Man. Venom in the team was great too even if it did feel a bit like he was the centre of attention.

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Finished the Morrison Animal Man Omnibus, finally. Wow. Despite knowing where it was going, the Limbo issue was surprisingly powerful, and Grant's appearance and (near) monologue was wonderful and touching.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:29 pm

AngusH wrote:Finished the Morrison Animal Man Omnibus, finally. Wow. Despite knowing where it was going, the Limbo issue was surprisingly powerful, and Grant's appearance and (near) monologue was wonderful and touching.

:)

One of my favorite comic book stories ever.

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm reading:

Deadpool Volume 1 - Dead Presidents :deadpool :deadpool :deadpool

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 pm

And I read

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Is that the one where he kicks the shit out of Batman and turns Gotham into a forest?

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 pm

If there is one run I wish I could erase from my mind so I could re-read it over and over again with fresh eyes, it'd be Moore's Swamp Thing.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am

Yeah it's definitely one of his best works. The Rick Veitch stuff, from my recollection, isn't too bad either. I've got it all back home but I've only read it once.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

AngusH wrote:If there is one run I wish I could erase from my mind so I could re-read it over and over again with fresh eyes, it'd be Moore's Swamp Thing.

You can always re read after a few years, that's what I'm doing now.

Keb wrote:Is that the one where he kicks the shit out of Batman and turns Gotham into a forest?

Yes.

Oh, and did you check this review?
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2012/01/ ... zulli.html

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Keb wrote:Is that the one where he kicks the shit out of Batman and turns Gotham into a forest?
Batman was such a dick in that story.

Moore is an annoying self-promoting asshat, but his pre-Watchmen DC work is so damn fantastic that it gives him a lifetime pass on said asshattery.

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

It's easier to enjoy Moore's early work if you pretend he was inhabited by a brain spore right after he wrote Watchmen, which has slowly infested his brain and transformed him into a giant douche.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am

Even the stuff he wrote after Watchmen is fantastic. I have yet to read Supreme but his work on WildCATs as well as his America's Best stuff is great.

When you separate work from personality, it's usually the best. Except some of his recent stuff has become too sexually-driven.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 am

outsider wrote:Batman was such a dick in that story.

Moore is an annoying self-promoting asshat, but his pre-Watchmen DC work is so damn fantastic that it gives him a lifetime pass on said asshattery.

I understand why Moore is angry with the comic book industry, and it makes perfect sense. But yes, sometimes he can be a bit too extreme in his comments (I'm thinking about the Grant Morrison problem).

I love all of Moore, from his early days in 2000AD, to Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, to his ABC line, Top Ten, 49 Niners, etc.

Also, I think I'm one of the few guys who really enjoys his recent works, such as Lost Girls.

leave a comment with facebook