Monday, July 25, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not ComicBook.com!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Richard Stark's Parker: Hunter.

Meh, it's not bad but at times I feel like I'm reading a radio play. It's very prose heavy with lots of talking head panels so it doesn't really utilize the visual medium of comic books well but that seems to be par for the course with most comic books nowadays, which is why kids don't buy them anymore.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 pm

The Beast wrote:Richard Stark's Parker: Hunter.

Meh, it's not bad but at times I feel like I'm reading a radio play. It's very prose heavy with lots of talking head panels so it doesn't really utilize the visual medium of comic books well but that seems to be par for the course with most comic books nowadays, which is why kids don't buy them anymore.


I thought those Richard Stark books were quite popular. I haven't read any of them, though.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Arion wrote:
I thought those Richard Stark books were quite popular. I haven't read any of them, though.


I'm sure they are; it's not a bad story at all but it's just not very visually stimulating when over half of the panels are close ups of people's heads and dialogue balloons. In the animation industry, NA studios save time and money on T.V. shows by relying on dialogue and close ups to drive the narrative rather than action and comic books have been gradually following suit.
User avatar

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Picked up Fatale vol. 3 a few weeks ago, so I re-read volumes 1-2 last night to get back up to speed. Enjoyed both books more the 2nd reading - a nice little Lovecraftian horror/mystery.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

The Beast wrote:
I'm sure they are; it's not a bad story at all but it's just not very visually stimulating when over half of the panels are close ups of people's heads and dialogue balloons. In the animation industry, NA studios save time and money on T.V. shows by relying on dialogue and close ups to drive the narrative rather than action and comic books have been gradually following suit.


I've read some comics that rely a bit too much on talking heads. I wouldn't say it's a universal tendency, though.
User avatar

Stalzer2002

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Image

My first Artist's Edition. It certainly won't be my last.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:Image

My first Artist's Edition. It certainly won't be my last.


I'd love to get one of those but they are soooo expensive.
User avatar

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Deadpool: Soul Hunter :deadpool :deadpool
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:50 pm

AngusH wrote:Finished the Morrison Animal Man Omnibus, finally. Wow. Despite knowing where it was going, the Limbo issue was surprisingly powerful, and Grant's appearance and (near) monologue was wonderful and touching.


One of my favorite Morrison works.
User avatar

Stalzer2002

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Arion wrote:
I'd love to get one of those but they are soooo expensive.


Yeah, they are, but this was a lot cheaper than buying an actual Romita page. :smt026

I've gotten into original art in the last few years, and I really like seeing the art as it was originally produced. I've stuck mostly to personal favorites like Gotham Central, GI Joe and Thunderbolts. I could never afford a page by someone like Romita or Kirby. The production values on these things are so high, that it may not be the same thing, but it's damn close. I can't make a habit of this, though. I think I'll get the Kirby New Gods (cheapgraphicnovels.com has it for $105), but skip the Steranko and Watchmen ones.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:
Yeah, they are, but this was a lot cheaper than buying an actual Romita page. :smt026

I've gotten into original art in the last few years, and I really like seeing the art as it was originally produced. I've stuck mostly to personal favorites like Gotham Central, GI Joe and Thunderbolts. I could never afford a page by someone like Romita or Kirby. The production values on these things are so high, that it may not be the same thing, but it's damn close. I can't make a habit of this, though. I think I'll get the Kirby New Gods (cheapgraphicnovels.com has it for $105), but skip the Steranko and Watchmen ones.


So you have original art?

The only thing I have is a skull drawing by Steve Rude and a very small sketch done by Joe Eisma.
User avatar

redhotrebellion

Whippersnapper

Postby redhotrebellion » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Orcs is pretty good.
User avatar

Stalzer2002

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Arion wrote:
So you have original art?

The only thing I have is a skull drawing by Steve Rude and a very small sketch done by Joe Eisma.


Yup.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=98814
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:59 pm



Oh my stars and garters !

That is an amazing collection.

How long have you been buying original art?
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Image

Wuz pretty good. Very nice art.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, dairydead, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], panguar, Pizza Dog, StrongStyleFiction and 82 guests