Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Grayson wrote:
The Age of Apocalypse Omnibus.

I won't ask for it, then.
I was kind of hoping you would say Byrne's FF Omnibus. I'd love to have that one.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:Reading All-New X-men Men Vol 1, two issues in, very much enjoying it.

Holy crap, Yesterday's X-Men was spectacular.
Beautiful book, wonderful writing. If X-Men books were half this good most of the time, they would be worth reading.
How was Avengers Vs. X-Men?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 754 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:Holy crap, Yesterday's X-Men was spectacular.
Beautiful book, wonderful writing. If X-Men books were half this good most if the time, it would be worth reading.
How was Avengers Vs. X-Men?

Well, it wasn't as bad as Age of Ultron. :smt102

Honestly, parts of it were decent enough but it felt extremely disjointed and characters felt even more out of character than in previous events like Civil War. It didn't help that the event changed writers and artists frequently and a lot of ideas really seemed like they came out of nowhere rather than being allowed to develop naturally.
ImageImageImage

The Beast
cheese

Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Arion wrote:
I've read some comics that rely a bit too much on talking heads. I wouldn't say it's a universal tendency, though.

You're a writer and I'm a cartoonist so I think it's easy to understand that we would see things differently.

I just started the next volume, Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit and I'm really enjoying it so far.

The pace has picked up some and Parker is a fantastic tough guy. Cooke does some amazing sequences and effects and the design of his period work is impeccable as usual. Volume 1 was a slow burn but it's paying off well now.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:59 pm

The Beast wrote:
You're a writer and I'm a cartoonist so I think it's easy to understand that we would see things differently.

I just started the next volume, Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit and I'm really enjoying it so far.

The pace has picked up some and Parker is a fantastic tough guy. Cooke does some amazing sequences and effects and the design of his period work is impeccable as usual. Volume 1 was a slow burn but it's paying off well now.

I'm surprised. How did you know ? Who told you I'm a writer?

Jokes aside, I must say I've never written anything that could be labeled as "talking heads".

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 am

Grayson wrote:I feel like I haven't read any books in quite a long time which is depressing because I have a pretty decent stack sitting on my coffee table right now that has been accumulating since Christmas and a ton of really great collections are set to be released in the next 2 months. :?

I need motivation!

I have a couple omnibuses that need reading. I haven't been able to read much because I've been so swamped with schoolwork and readings. Next week is reading week and everything is due tomorrow or Wednesday. Once I get through Wednesday, I'm in the clear.

The Beast
cheese

Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm surprised. How did you know ? Who told you I'm a writer?

Jokes aside, I must say I've never written anything that could be labeled as "talking heads".

I never said you did. :|

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 pm

The Beast wrote:
I never said you did. :|

I hope the day doesn't come when an editor forces me to do "talking heads"...

Wish me good luck with that.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:43 pm

The Irredeemable Ant-Man - I was lucky enough to find another gem hidden amongst the books that are stacked on top of my LCS's half-price trade table! I forgot how much I enjoyed this book when it was originally released. Make no mistake about it, if this book existed today with the same creative team as part of the Marvel NOW! or All-New Marvel NOW! banner, it would be a hit. Robert Kirkman writes great superhero stories. Period. Unfortunately for everybody, the Irredeemable Ant-Man's run was hidden in-between Civil War and World War Hulk and never really got the chance to grow it's own legs. It's a shame what happened to this book and an even bigger shame was how Marvel treated Eric O'Grady and his supporting cast. Seriously, was anybody from this book ever mentioned or heard from again aside for O'Grady?

I'm a huge fan of Phil Hester's art, so having his work paired with the Kirkman's writing was a huge bonus for me. Hester's art was a perfect compliment to Kirkman's style plus as a huge Invincible fan, throwing Cory Walker in there for the Mighty Avengers tie-in was a secondary bonus!
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Grayson wrote:Image

The Irredeemable Ant-Man - I was lucky enough to find another gem hidden amongst the books that are stacked on top of my LCS's half-price trade table! I forgot how much I enjoyed this book when it was originally released. Make no mistake about it, if this book existed today with the same creative team as part of the Marvel NOW! or All-New Marvel NOW! banner, it would be a hit. Robert Kirkman writes great superhero stories. Period. Unfortunately for everybody, the Irredeemable Ant-Man's run was hidden in-between Civil War and World War Hulk and never really got the chance to grow it's own legs. It's a shame what happened to this book and an even bigger shame was how Marvel treated Eric O'Grady and his supporting cast. Seriously, was anybody from this book ever mentioned or heard from again aside for O'Grady?

I'm a huge fan of Phil Hester's art, so having his work paired with the Kirkman's writing was a huge bonus for me. Hester's art was a perfect compliment to Kirkman's style plus as a huge Invincible fan, throwing Cory Walker in there for the Mighty Avengers tie-in was a secondary bonus!

Well, I love Kirkman's Invincible, so I'd be willing to try his Ant Man.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Arion wrote:Well, I love Kirkman's Invincible, so I'd be willing to try his Ant Man.

It's a damn shame that this title doesn't exist in the same universe that Invincible inhabits. Kirkman brings the same high energy that he brings to Invincible, to Ant-Man while also balancing his time in costume with his time out of costume. You care just as much about his supporting characters as you do about Eric O'Grady himself which, in my opinion, is an extremely important part about maintaining the sustainability of these characters.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Grayson wrote:
It's a damn shame that this title doesn't exist in the same universe that Invincible inhabits. Kirkman brings the same high energy that he brings to Invincible, to Ant-Man while also balancing his time in costume with his time out of costume. You care just as much about his supporting characters as you do about Eric O'Grady himself which, in my opinion, is an extremely important part about maintaining the sustainability of these characters.

Sounds great. Hopefully I'll be able to find the tpb at a good discount.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Guts - Found this hardcover super cheap yesterday and since I've been meaning to get back into their series, I decided to pick it up. Coincidentally, this book picks up right where I left off when I dropped the series, so it was easy for me to dive right back in but it might not be the most accessible book for new readers to pick up. In any case my biggest complaint has to be how short this collection is and how quickly you can read it. However, brief though it may be, the book is actually filled with some great action and some really intriguing takes on the traditional Greek Pantheon.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I read

Brilliant miniseries. I'm reviewing the whole thing in my blog.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Arion wrote:I read

Brilliant miniseries. I'm reviewing the whole thing in my blog.

:shock:

How did I miss a DnA series with Olivier Coipel?!
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand