Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:58 pm

This has been such a good day for me. I found 20 bucks in an old jacket plus I received a box from MyComicShop.com

The box has over 50 comics that I had ordered in August 2013 . MyComicShop had already refunded me for the comics last year, so now it's like I have cash and comics.

Isn't this the best day ever?

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1261 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Arion wrote:This has been such a good day for me. I found 20 bucks in an old jacket plus I received a box from MyComicShop.com

The box has over 50 comics that I had ordered in August 2013 . MyComicShop had already refunded me for the comics last year, so now it's like I have cash and comics.

Isn't this the best day ever?

Oh...that is a good day! :-D
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Grayson wrote:
Oh...that is a good day! :-D

Oh yeah! And also, I ate chocolate! I'm so happy right now.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Arion wrote:Oh yeah! And also, I ate chocolate! I'm so happy right now.

I also hope to eat chocolate tonight...but I'm supposed to be eating healthier so that I can slim down for the wedding. :oops:
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 pm

nietoperz wrote:I'm finally settling down to work my way through the entire 4-volume Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus. And the good news is that I can pass it all off as research! :D

:-D

I just found out that my university is now offering a Ph.D in comics and the English dept.chair is a huge comic book nerd.

And I'm here in Ed learning brain functioning :(

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Grayson wrote:
I also hope to eat chocolate tonight...but I'm supposed to be eating healthier so that I can slim down for the wedding. :oops:

Tell me about it. I feel guilty every time I eat something with sugar in it...

Keb wrote: :-D

I just found out that my university is now offering a Ph.D in comics and the English dept.chair is a huge comic book nerd.

And I'm here in Ed learning brain functioning :(

I want to study in your university !
Seriously, send me a link of the university so I can find out it if is viable for me to go there...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1 Deluxe Hardcover - This was the third hardcover that I found for insanely cheap recently. Since I have only heard great things about this series, I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a sealed copy for less than half the cover price.

I'll say this, I didn't hate Bendis' run on Daredevil but I quickly found that it simply wasn't for me and since that run, I haven't really attempted to follow what was going on in Matt Murdock's corner of the Marvel Universe but by the end of the first issue of Mark Waid's run, I was completely sucked back in. Like I said I didn't hate Bendis' work on Daredevil, I just hated the fact that it was so damn depressing that it felt like a chore to read it. Hell, Matt Murdock himself even acknowledges how dark and depressing not only he has been but the world around him. You only have to read a few pages of this collection to understand that Waid's approach is the complete opposite of Bendis'. In fact, you will probably only have to read a few pages before you are completely hooked and won't be able to put this book down at all. The combination of upbeat characters and stories, plus the unexpected usage of non traditional Daredevil characters, makes this collection a completely fun and shocking adventure.

Artistically speaking, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin are absolutely firing on all cylinders in his collection. The quirky, almost classic style perfectly compliments the more lighthearted approach that Waid has brought to the book. My only complaint was the absolutely jarring addition of Emma Rios's work on the included issue of Amazing Spider-Man #677. Outside of that, this was just a gorgeous book from cover to cover.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Grayson wrote:Image

Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1 Deluxe Hardcover - This was the third hardcover that I found for insanely cheap recently. Since I have only heard great things about this series, I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a sealed copy for less than half the cover price.

I'll say this, I didn't hate Bendis' run on Daredevil but I quickly found that it simply wasn't for me and since that run, I haven't really attempted to follow what was going on in Matt Murdock's corner of the Marvel Universe but by the end of the first issue of Mark Waid's run, I was completely sucked back in. Like I said I didn't hate Bendis' work on Daredevil, I just hated the fact that it was so damn depressing that it felt like a chore to read it. Hell, Matt Murdock himself even acknowledges how dark and depressing not only he has been but the world around him. You only have to read a few pages of this collection to understand that Waid's approach is the complete opposite of Bendis'. In fact, you will probably only have to read a few pages before you are completely hooked and won't be able to put this book down at all. The combination of upbeat characters and stories, plus the unexpected usage of non traditional Daredevil characters, makes this collection a completely fun and shocking adventure.

Artistically speaking, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin are absolutely firing on all cylinders in his collection. The quirky, almost classic style perfectly compliments the more lighthearted approach that Waid has brought to the book. My only complaint was the absolutely jarring addition of Emma Rios's work on the included issue of Amazing Spider-Man #677. Outside of that, this was just a gorgeous book from cover to cover.

I think only read the first 5 or 6 issues. The art was so amazing.

James Mulholland
luchadore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby James Mulholland » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:04 am

Wild Children by Ales Kot.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Arion wrote:I think only read the first 5 or 6 issues. The art was so amazing.

I agree. The art took the vibe that Waid was trying to establish to a whole new level. It made Daredevil's world look alive and vibrant which is an aesthetic that I feel has been desperately lacking from this corner of the Marvel Universe for several years now.
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Oh! I have a little bit of a grievance that I want to air. My fiancée ordered the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and the second volume of the Fear Agent Library Edition for me for Valentine's Day this year. Last week, we received an e-mail notifying us that the release date for the UXF Omnibus had been pushed back to March 25th, 2014. I was annoyed but I understand that this type of stuff can happen. So, I was into my LCS this week to pick up my comics for the week and what do I happen to see sitting on the "New This Week" shelf? Why the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus of course! However, when we logged on to our Amazon account later that day, it still claimed that the release date was March 25th and that we would receive the book on March 28th.

:smt013

Fuck you Amazon. Fuck. You.

:P
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Grayson wrote:Oh! I have a little bit of a grievance that I want to air. My fiancée ordered the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and the second volume of the Fear Agent Library Edition for me for Valentine's Day this year. Last week, we received an e-mail notifying us that the release date for the UXF Omnibus had been pushed back to March 25th, 2014. I was annoyed but I understand that this type of stuff can happen. So, I was into my LCS this week to pick up my comics for the week and what do I happen to see sitting on the "New This Week" shelf? Why the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus of course! However, when we logged on to our Amazon account later that day, it still claimed that the release date was March 25th and that we would receive the book on March 28th.

:smt013

Fuck you Amazon. Fuck. You.

:P

Is the omnibus available in Midtown, DCBS or other sites?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Arion wrote:Is the omnibus available in Midtown, DCBS or other sites?

Midtown says that it was released on March 5th and it does look like it's available through DCBS as well.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Grayson wrote:
Midtown says that it was released on March 5th and it does look like it's available through DCBS as well.

Then there's no excuse. Amazon fucked up.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Arion wrote:Then there's no excuse. Amazon fucked up.

That's what I'm saying! :x

Amazon has my comics and they won't ship them to me! :smt013
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand