Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Keb wrote:I'm not even bettering myself. I'm just cramming a bunch of neuropsychological theories into my head. I can tell you what parts of the brain you use to read comics.

What parts? I need to know!

Advertisement

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Read through the first 2 chapters of the Ex Machina trade last night. Hasn't grabbed me like BKV usually does, but I'm enjoying it - in particular the reveal around the opening pic of The Great Machine and the passenger jet.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:57 am

Arion wrote:
What parts? I need to know!

Um, you'd use dorsal and ventral stream processing for decoding. You would use the parietal lobe and temporal lobe as well. I'm pretty sure the zones of overlapping (angular gyrus, supermarginal gyrus and Wernicke's area) would all get involved. The dorsolateral prefrontal cortex would be involved for working memory in following the story, and the orbital and motor cortices might be involved too for tracking.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Keb wrote:Um, you'd use dorsal and ventral stream processing for decoding. You would use the parietal lobe and temporal lobe as well. I'm pretty sure the zones of overlapping (angular gyrus, supermarginal gyrus and Wernicke's area) would all get involved. The dorsolateral prefrontal cortex would be involved for working memory in following the story, and the orbital and motor cortices might be involved too for tracking.

That's great. But you're forgetting one.

The pleasure I get by smelling a brand new comic is processed by ------

Fill in the gap!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Arion wrote:
That's great. But you're forgetting one.

The pleasure I get by smelling a brand new comic is processed by ------

Fill in the gap!

No! I'm done with neuropsych forever.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Read my Secret Warriors omnibus yesterday (yes, all of it). Fucking love that series. I have beef with it though. Mainly how Daisy gets promoted to head of SHIELD over guys like Dugan and Sitwell. The art is so good though, and the story is a total nod to Steranko. Makes me wish that the Hickman SHIELD origin series for to completion.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Keb wrote:No! I'm done with neuropsych forever.

Oh no, I didn't mean to scare you away!

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 45 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 am

Archer and Armstrong Volume 4: Sect Civil War. Fun, though I kind of wish the whole idea of society breaking down because of all the conspiracies fighting among themselves was explored upon more.

Satellite Sam Volume 1: I had no idea when I bought it it would be in black and white. Still, I like Chaykin's art, and the story has been entertaining. Stuff about the early days of TV interests me ( "The Powers that Be" was one of the few books in high school we had to read that I actually enjoyed). The story has sort of a Mad Men vibe too, so you can't go wrong there.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

MikeinLA wrote:Archer and Armstrong Volume 4: Sect Civil War. Fun, though I kind of wish the whole idea of society breaking down because of all the conspiracies fighting among themselves was explored upon more.

Satellite Sam Volume 1: I had no idea when I bought it it would be in black and white. Still, I like Chaykin's art, and the story has been entertaining. Stuff about the early days of TV interests me ( "The Powers that Be" was one of the few books in high school we had to read that I actually enjoyed). The story has sort of a Mad Men vibe too, so you can't go wrong there.

I only read the first issue of Satellite Sam and I didn't like it. Easily my least favorite Fraction book in years.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 573 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:16 pm

WTF, Superior Foes?! Cliffhanger ending?!!
Typical of crooks to rob me of a proper ending. :lol:
-

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

I picked up the first 3 issues of Satellite Sam, but I just found it a chore to get through. The writing was OK and I was genuinely interested to see where it went, but a lot of text combined with art that made it tough to distinguish between the many characters quickly made it too much like hard work.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:09 pm

AngusH wrote:I picked up the first 3 issues of Satellite Sam, but I just found it a chore to get through. The writing was OK and I was genuinely interested to see where it went, but a lot of text combined with art that made it tough to distinguish between the many characters quickly made it too much like hard work.

My problem with it is that I found the first issue very boring.

It's weird, but it seems to me that Satellite Sam # 1 was easily the worst first issue of 2013 and, curiously, Sex Criminals was the best first issue of 2013. Both by Fraction.

Bond Hengbu
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:03 am

The Great Ten by DC. I wish the art was better but it's awesome in every other way.
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Arion wrote:My problem with it is that I found the first issue very boring.

It's weird, but it seems to me that Satellite Sam # 1 was easily the worst first issue of 2013 and, curiously, Sex Criminals was the best first issue of 2013. Both by Fraction.

Fraction is the ultimate hit or miss guy for me. I think he's at his best when he is forced to rein it in a little, rather than things like Sex Criminals/Satellite Sam/some of his Hawkeye where he comes across to me as trying much too harder.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 am

AngusH wrote:
Fraction is the ultimate hit or miss guy for me. I think he's at his best when he is forced to rein it in a little, rather than things like Sex Criminals/Satellite Sam/some of his Hawkeye where he comes across to me as trying much too harder.

I'm usually OK with his Marvel work, but some of his independent stuff has let me down. Like his Casanova.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand