Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 853 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

Last night I finally received my copy of Remender's Uncanny X-Force Omnibus. It's a smaller omnibus, so it's not as intimidating as some of the others that I own. Plus, I received confirmation that I should be receiving the second Library Edition of Fear Agent on Monday. Considering that I want to reread the first Fear Agent, it looks like I have some great reading material for the foreseeable future. 8)
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm usually OK with his Marvel work, but some of his independent stuff has let me down. Like his Casanova.

I liked Iron Fist, Casanova, Hawkeye and Sex Criminals. Everything else has been between mediocre and terrible, I don't get how wildly Fraction's quality levels vary.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Zero wrote:
I liked Iron Fist, Casanova, Hawkeye and Sex Criminals. Everything else has been between mediocre and terrible, I don't get how wildly Fraction's quality levels vary.

Well, he certainly seems to be the definition of hit or miss...

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 40 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:29 am

The Walking Dead Vol 17: Something to Fear... catching up, thanks Comixology sale... The death of Glenn was brutal and it was heartbreaking to watch Rick make the decision he did. I am of two minds about this book. It reads really well in trades, but I know the single issues do a good job of creating suspense. I don't always get the complaints made about the book, but I still dig it (the show as well)

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:31 am

Over the last couple of weeks I read the full 4-TPB run of the Luna Brothers' "Girls". It was really good up until the ending... which I thought was a bit weak. Mainly I was disappointed that no really good, coherent explanation for exactly what these alien beings were and why they were doing what they were doing was provided. The main story itself was great, though.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 am

Chessack wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I read the full 4-TPB run of the Luna Brothers' "Girls". It was really good up until the ending... which I thought was a bit weak. Mainly I was disappointed that no really good, coherent explanation for exactly what these alien beings were and why they were doing what they were doing was provided. The main story itself was great, though.

If you felt any differently, I would have to think less of you. That is a great summary of the problem with the book. It was a great serial read, though... and so pretty.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:48 pm

Chessack wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I read the full 4-TPB run of the Luna Brothers' "Girls". It was really good up until the ending... which I thought was a bit weak. Mainly I was disappointed that no really good, coherent explanation for exactly what these alien beings were and why they were doing what they were doing was provided. The main story itself was great, though.

Don't read The Sword.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Keb wrote:Don't read The Sword.

Did it end poorly as well? I read about the first half of it before I took that break a couple years ago.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:56 pm

I never bothered with the ending. The writing was trite faux-hollywood garbage. It was pretty obvious they were looking for a movie deal.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:If you felt any differently, I would have to think less of you. That is a great summary of the problem with the book. It was a great serial read, though... and so pretty.

It went along fine. I even liked the plan the reverend came up with at the end for getting them out of it... and how he saw what would happen if they just got out of the dome. I was fine with it up to that point.

But there really needed to be an explanation for what the girls and other objects were, what their goal was, etc. There was also no good explanation for the visions Ethan kept having his "his" girl talking to him. Was he just fantasizing? Dreaming? If so, why? Were the girls telepathic in some way?

There were just too many unanswered questions. It kind of reminded me of the ending of 2001.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:The Walking Dead Vol 17: Something to Fear... catching up, thanks Comixology sale... The death of Glenn was brutal and it was heartbreaking to watch Rick make the decision he did. I am of two minds about this book. It reads really well in trades, but I know the single issues do a good job of creating suspense. I don't always get the complaints made about the book, but I still dig it (the show as well)

The Glenn thing happened like 2 years ago, I don't think you needed the spoiler warning.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 am

Arion wrote:
The Glenn thing happened like 2 years ago, I don't think you needed the spoiler warning.

There is always the possibility someone has not read it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:There is always the possibility someone has not read it.

Well, more than a possibility I'd say that it is a certaintty that none of us have read all the hundreds of comics that get released each month. But after 2 years, I won't accuse anyone of spoiling something to me...

Comic_Unknown
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Reviews, Interviews, Badassery

Postby Comic_Unknown » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Just finish reading an indie TPB called Chem 19 by Kevin Truglio. A dystopian future where society as we know it has been altered by the drug Chem 19. highly recomend
CHECK OUT MY BLOG FOR REVIEWING INDIE COMICS
WWW.COMICUNKNOWN.COM

Follow On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ComicUnknown

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Comic_Unknown wrote:Just finish reading an indie TPB called Chem 19 by Kevin Truglio. A dystopian future where society as we know it has been altered by the drug Chem 19. highly recomend

Sounds good.

I just noticed you have a page especialized in indie comics. That's great! Say, would you be interested in reviewing an indie anthology if I send it to you in PDF?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand