Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18162
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm

Grayson wrote:
To be fair you did just say that it wasn't as good as Bendis' run, which I had previously mentioned finding off putting. That doesn't exactly make me want to run out and find a copy. :P

Besides, Keb said he hated it and I generally find Keb to be a good judge of most things.


Let's see, Brubaker wrote around 40 issues. The first 6 issue arc is excellent and so is issue 500 and something (a self-conclusive Kingping story), there are like two more very good issues but the rest goes from average to bad, and very bad.
The art is amazing, though.

Advertisement

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39659
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 203 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Grayson wrote:
To be fair you did just say that it wasn't as good as Bendis' run, which I had previously mentioned finding off putting. That doesn't exactly make me want to run out and find a copy. :P

Besides, Keb said he hated it and I generally find Keb to be a good judge of most things.

Well, in defense of Brubaker, I read the first 6 or 7 issues and said "fuck this" and stopped buying it. I've also stated on a number of occasions that I think Brubaker is the most overrated writer in comics and backed it up with solid criticisms of his work.

Bendis DD is my 2nd favourite Bendis thing next to Alias.

AngusH
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 268
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 24 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 pm


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby AngusH » Tue May 06, 2014 11:28 pm

I've never read any of Brubaker's superhero stuff, but I think Criminal, Fatale, and Velvet (so far) are excellent.

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7973
Likes: 139 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Brubaker's Daredevil was really mediocre. I like what he is currently doing in Velvet and Fatale.
Image

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18162
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Keb wrote:Well, in defense of Brubaker, I read the first 6 or 7 issues and said "fuck this" and stopped buying it. I've also stated on a number of occasions that I think Brubaker is the most overrated writer in comics and backed it up with solid criticisms of his work.

Bendis DD is my 2nd favourite Bendis thing next to Alias.


Well, if you didn't enjoy the first arc I can assure you would have hated the rest.
And yes, Bendis Daredevil was sooooo good.

GiveWarAChance wrote:Brubaker's Daredevil was really mediocre. I like what he is currently doing in Velvet and Fatale.


Seems like we all agree on Brubaker's run on Daredevil.
I've only read Velvet #1 but it was great, miles above most of his recent Marvel work.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39659
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 203 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Sat May 10, 2014 12:29 am

Doom Patrol vols. 1-6 by Morrison, Case, et. al.

I really love this series. It's the prime example of what a superhero comic can be. It's also the prime example of ideas getting lost to rampant dumbing down. This series does not dumb anything down. It's one of the few series where I can read it, pull some small idea of value and expand my own writing and thinking practices based on that small thing. The build-up that Morrison does through the series is fun and worthwhile, especially as we get to the end. He kind of rewrites Doom Patrol history in an interesting and relevant way. I don't think a lot of the ideas were kept long-term but they are good. Without spoiling too much, this series is just nuts but enjoyable. A lot of people get turned off by the early artwork but I think it's bizarre enough to fit. It's also nice to see the progression of (Case's) art as it goes through different inkers (Nyberg, Hanna, McKenna and eventually Stan Woch who does good work). Oh, the best parts are the parodies.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26526
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Just picked up The Shadow vol 1: The Fire of Creation. Digging it so far, like the old Marvel Graphic novel Dynamite just reprinted.

Rob Thompson
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1399
Likes: 391 posts
Liked in: 406 posts
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am
Title: Soldier. Teacher.


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Rob Thompson » Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Just a nifty little series.

Thinking about giving Beyond a bash. Worth a read or no?

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26526
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Just a nifty little series.

Thinking about giving Beyond a bash. Worth a read or no?

I enjoyed it. It is like a Secret Wars book.

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7973
Likes: 139 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

I continued on with my recent Marvel Masterworks obsession. I got Daredevil volumes 1-3 and 7. Now that I finally have them all I can start reading from the beginning. I also bought The Defenders volumes 3-4.
Image

Rob Thompson
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1399
Likes: 391 posts
Liked in: 406 posts
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am
Title: Soldier. Teacher.


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Rob Thompson » Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:I enjoyed it. It is like a Secret Wars book.

Good to know. I have generally liked what the creators have put out, so I hope to like this too.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18162
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sat May 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Keb wrote:Doom Patrol vols. 1-6 by Morrison, Case, et. al.

I really love this series. It's the prime example of what a superhero comic can be. It's also the prime example of ideas getting lost to rampant dumbing down. This series does not dumb anything down. It's one of the few series where I can read it, pull some small idea of value and expand my own writing and thinking practices based on that small thing. The build-up that Morrison does through the series is fun and worthwhile, especially as we get to the end. He kind of rewrites Doom Patrol history in an interesting and relevant way. I don't think a lot of the ideas were kept long-term but they are good. Without spoiling too much, this series is just nuts but enjoyable. A lot of people get turned off by the early artwork but I think it's bizarre enough to fit. It's also nice to see the progression of (Case's) art as it goes through different inkers (Nyberg, Hanna, McKenna and eventually Stan Woch who does good work). Oh, the best parts are the parodies.


I only read the first volume (I think I posted a review here), and I loved it. Can't wait to buy the rest of the tpbs.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39659
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 203 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18162
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 93 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

Keb wrote:Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.


I usually enjoy Miller's 80s stuff, but Elektra: Assassin is not good.
I don't know why it won so many awards back then.

Rob Thompson
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1399
Likes: 391 posts
Liked in: 406 posts
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am
Title: Soldier. Teacher.


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Rob Thompson » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 am

Keb wrote:Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.

I certainly did not find it as enjoyable as Electra Lives Again. I think that is a wonderful story.

Image
"It's what you do that defines you."

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 157 guests

Advertisement