Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Grayson wrote:
To be fair you did just say that it wasn't as good as Bendis' run, which I had previously mentioned finding off putting. That doesn't exactly make me want to run out and find a copy. :P

Besides, Keb said he hated it and I generally find Keb to be a good judge of most things.

Well, in defense of Brubaker, I read the first 6 or 7 issues and said "fuck this" and stopped buying it. I've also stated on a number of occasions that I think Brubaker is the most overrated writer in comics and backed it up with solid criticisms of his work.

Bendis DD is my 2nd favourite Bendis thing next to Alias.

Advertisement

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby AngusH » Tue May 06, 2014 11:28 pm

I've never read any of Brubaker's superhero stuff, but I think Criminal, Fatale, and Velvet (so far) are excellent.

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1430 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Brubaker's Daredevil was really mediocre. I like what he is currently doing in Velvet and Fatale.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed May 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Keb wrote:Well, in defense of Brubaker, I read the first 6 or 7 issues and said "fuck this" and stopped buying it. I've also stated on a number of occasions that I think Brubaker is the most overrated writer in comics and backed it up with solid criticisms of his work.

Bendis DD is my 2nd favourite Bendis thing next to Alias.

Well, if you didn't enjoy the first arc I can assure you would have hated the rest.
And yes, Bendis Daredevil was sooooo good.

GiveWarAChance wrote:Brubaker's Daredevil was really mediocre. I like what he is currently doing in Velvet and Fatale.

Seems like we all agree on Brubaker's run on Daredevil.
I've only read Velvet #1 but it was great, miles above most of his recent Marvel work.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat May 10, 2014 12:29 am

Doom Patrol vols. 1-6 by Morrison, Case, et. al.

I really love this series. It's the prime example of what a superhero comic can be. It's also the prime example of ideas getting lost to rampant dumbing down. This series does not dumb anything down. It's one of the few series where I can read it, pull some small idea of value and expand my own writing and thinking practices based on that small thing. The build-up that Morrison does through the series is fun and worthwhile, especially as we get to the end. He kind of rewrites Doom Patrol history in an interesting and relevant way. I don't think a lot of the ideas were kept long-term but they are good. Without spoiling too much, this series is just nuts but enjoyable. A lot of people get turned off by the early artwork but I think it's bizarre enough to fit. It's also nice to see the progression of (Case's) art as it goes through different inkers (Nyberg, Hanna, McKenna and eventually Stan Woch who does good work). Oh, the best parts are the parodies.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Just picked up The Shadow vol 1: The Fire of Creation. Digging it so far, like the old Marvel Graphic novel Dynamite just reprinted.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 1173 posts
Title: Star-Lord

Postby Rob Thompson » Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Just a nifty little series.

Thinking about giving Beyond a bash. Worth a read or no?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Just a nifty little series.

Thinking about giving Beyond a bash. Worth a read or no?

I enjoyed it. It is like a Secret Wars book.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1430 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

I continued on with my recent Marvel Masterworks obsession. I got Daredevil volumes 1-3 and 7. Now that I finally have them all I can start reading from the beginning. I also bought The Defenders volumes 3-4.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Rob Thompson » Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:I enjoyed it. It is like a Secret Wars book.

Good to know. I have generally liked what the creators have put out, so I hope to like this too.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat May 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Keb wrote:Doom Patrol vols. 1-6 by Morrison, Case, et. al.

I really love this series. It's the prime example of what a superhero comic can be. It's also the prime example of ideas getting lost to rampant dumbing down. This series does not dumb anything down. It's one of the few series where I can read it, pull some small idea of value and expand my own writing and thinking practices based on that small thing. The build-up that Morrison does through the series is fun and worthwhile, especially as we get to the end. He kind of rewrites Doom Patrol history in an interesting and relevant way. I don't think a lot of the ideas were kept long-term but they are good. Without spoiling too much, this series is just nuts but enjoyable. A lot of people get turned off by the early artwork but I think it's bizarre enough to fit. It's also nice to see the progression of (Case's) art as it goes through different inkers (Nyberg, Hanna, McKenna and eventually Stan Woch who does good work). Oh, the best parts are the parodies.

I only read the first volume (I think I posted a review here), and I loved it. Can't wait to buy the rest of the tpbs.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

Keb wrote:Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.

I usually enjoy Miller's 80s stuff, but Elektra: Assassin is not good.
I don't know why it won so many awards back then.

Rob Thompson
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Rob Thompson » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 am

Keb wrote:Reading Elektra: Assassin. It's everything I hate about Frank Miller in one spot.

I certainly did not find it as enjoyable as Electra Lives Again. I think that is a wonderful story.

Only thing that's true is what you do.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue May 13, 2014 10:06 am

Rob Thompson wrote:I certainly did not find it as enjoyable as Electra Lives Again. I think that is a wonderful story.

I still need to read that one.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand