Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby AngusH » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 am

I read the first 2 or 3 issues of Bendis' GotG, and found it pretty darn lackluster, having never read any GotG prior.

Hickman's Infinity event gave me my galactic superhero fix for the next couple of years I think. I'd actually like to see them strip out the Avengers stuff and use that basic plot for the next GotG film.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 am

thefourthman wrote:Image
Started reading Archer & Armstrong Vol. 1. The first issue started a little slow, however by the end of the issue I was hooked. Love Clayton's art as usual and as usual, think the coloring is all wrong for him.

I quite enjoyed that. The beginning was slow and honestly a little off putting. I don't neccesarily read the back of books or hunt down reviews. Honestly, I had no idea what this was about... So it read quite a bit like that book about Gore being elected and Obama bombing the UN, Liberality for All, that was the name....

Anyhow, once it got going, it was funny and inventive - like a superhero Dan Brown book, except not mindless reactionism. I love Van Lente's indie work, this was the first time it felt like that guy was writing a for hire book. Smart and entertaining all the way.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 am

Next up, Atomic Robo Vol 3

Grayson likes this post.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Angela - Definitely a vast improvement over the previous volume, the second volume of Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy contains almost double the content. On the downside that content is filled with a rather unnecessary crossover with the Infinity event and the arbitrary introduction of Angela into the Marvel Universe. Something worth noting about Angela's usage in these issues is the fact that the computer onboard the Guardians' ship can not identity her species while less than a year later (in our time, not comic time) it is discovered that Angela is supposedly an Asgardian. Considering the fact that only a few issues earlier the Asgardians are show to be a part of a larger galactic council, it's surprising that she would be unidentifiable. Almost makes you wonder if her back story was as planned out as they would like you to believe.

Curiously, this book starts asking the questions that long term fans have been dying to know the answer to but it simply stops there, at asking those questions. The characters acknowledge the fact that some characters shouldn't be there but no answers are provided as to why they are there. And even more curious than all that is the fact that while asking those questions nobody takes the time to ask any questions about Richard Rider, which is strange, considering his overall importance to the Marvel Cosmic line prior to the Bendisification of said line. I mean, it could be said that Gamora was in a relationship with Richard but she doesn't say one thing about it. The words "Nova," "Richard" and/or "Rider" never come out of her mouth in this book!

Anyways once again, the real selling point of this series is the art. With work by Sara Pichelli, Francesco Francavilla, Kevin Maguire, Olivier Coipel, and Valerio Schiti this is an absolutely gorgeous book. All of my complaints and issues aside, this really isn't a bad book but the quote from CBR on the cover sums it up perfectly by stating that Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy "As of right now, is basically Marvel's go to source for popcorn entertainment."
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man Volume 2 - As much shit as I have given Bendis over the years, the one constant positive that I can say is that Bendis writes a great Spider-Man, no matter who that Spider-Man happens to be. While I love Sara Pichelli's work on this series, Chris Samnee's two issues were a most welcome surprise.
ImageImageImage

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm a big fan of Aaron's Thor. Plus Ribic's art is amazing.

Yes, yes it is. These are some excellent comics. Ribic's art was the perfect match for this sort of fantasy epic. It's no Simonson, but man, it's a close second. Gorr made for a great, tragic villain. Even with overall dark feel of the stories, the interaction of the three Thors was a lot of fun.

Next I'll be reading:

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Grayson wrote:Image

Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning: The Complete Collection Volume 1 - Holy crap, I never realized how amazingly DnA foreshadowed their entire run until I went back and started rereading their Marvel Cosmic material. They pretty much lay everything out there but it's subtle enough that you may not even realize that they are doing it. Just incredible stuff. Damn, I really miss this team.

Unfortunately, the art isn't as consistent as I remembered. It's a little rougher in places that I would have liked. That's not to say that it wasn't good but I will say that if Bendis' current run has one thing over this run, it's art by the likes of McNiven, Pichelli, Francavilla, etc.

Next Up: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers

Yeah, if there was one flaw with the DnA Guardians series, it was the inconsistent art towards the second half. Brad Walker and Wes Craig are both decent artists, and either one would have been fine on the book, but the switching between the two was really jarring.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Grayson likes this post.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Big fan of Asmus' writing in Q&W, with some actual L-O-L moments, but the rotating door of artists after the initial arc varied in quality... Ming Doyle's arc in particular I thought was just plain bad. Those tanks... yikes.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 pm

AngusH wrote:Big fan of Asmus' writing in Q&W, with some actual L-O-L moments, but the rotating door of artists after the initial arc varied in quality... Ming Doyle's arc in particular I thought was just plain bad. Those tanks... yikes.

I completely agree with you. Quantum and Woody is an exceptional series but I wish that the art was a little more consistent.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:
Yes, yes it is. These are some excellent comics. Ribic's art was the perfect match for this sort of fantasy epic. It's no Simonson, but man, it's a close second. Gorr made for a great, tragic villain. Even with overall dark feel of the stories, the interaction of the three Thors was a lot of fun.

Next I'll be reading:

I love Ribic, his covers are amazing and his interior art is very good.
If you like Simonson perhaps you should read my review about his first issues on Thor:
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2013/09/ ... ume-1.html

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Volume 5) - Although the story line of this particular volume of Atomic Robo follows a more linear timeline than the previous volumes The Deadly Art of Science still captures the same heart that has made this series so endearing and so much fun. Set in the early 30's, The Deadly Art of Science find Atomic Robo dealing with teen angst, the vigilante Jack Tarot, a certain troublesome crystal skull, and his father's greatest nemesis Thomas Edison! All that and the possible timely arrival of the one and only Dr. Dinosaur!

I love this series!
ImageImageImage

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:

I was pretty disappointed by this. I didn't feel that it gave the Horsemen enough depth. By focusing on what each of the Horsemen did in between Hume's disappearance and his rescue back in the first arc of the Sixth Gun, we don't get much of a sense of who these guys were. Bunn tries to give us a sense of how the gun changed them, but by not showing us who they were before they met Hume, it wasn't particularly effective. I'd have liked to have seen how Silas, the doctor/preacher, wound up hooking up with Hume. He doesn't seem as mercenary as the others, and I feel that there's a story there. Still, this wasn't a terrible book. Bunn and Hurtt have created a fun, fascinating world, so I'm always happy to get more stories in it. Churilla does a decent job a replicating Hurtt's style, so it's visually consistent with the main series. So, if you really like the world of the Sixth Gun, I'd recommend it. Otherwise you can skip it, because it feels very superfluous.

Next I'll be rereading a personal favorite of mine: Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman!

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Arion wrote:http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2013/09/thor-by-walter-simonson-volume-1.html

Nice article, man.

For me, the thing that's most remarkable with Simonson's Thor is how he does so many different things. He does the cosmic stuff with Beta Ray Bill, the epic fantasy with the battle against Surtur and the Balder mini, personal stories like the last Viking and the redemption of the Executioner, and he transforms Thor into a frog. That sort of variety is incredible.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand