Tuesday, November 21, 2017 • Evening Edition • "Trash eaters."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MarvelFan88

Mad Hatter

Postby MarvelFan88 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:39 pm

Outcast vol. 2

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Shutter vol 4

Going to be honest here; I love and hate this series. It can be a lot of fun, but it's fond of brutal cliffhangers at the end of each arc. This one ended with the worst yet (fair warning here)

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
90% of the cast are randomly slaughtered in the final pages and the protagonist left a catatonic wreck. The Leopard, General, Alain, pretty much everyone but Kate and Christopher, all dead. Maybe Hucklebury lives if she didn't bleed out. The book literally ends with a giant pile of gore and viscera that was 90% of the cast.

I can't say that it's bad, I still like this series, but it prints out the entire TVTropes entry on Mood Whiplash, wraps it around a baseball bat and tries to beat the reader to death with it. And since the next arc doesn't even have a release date yet, according to Image's website, I'd say wait a while before picking this volume up unless you want to deal with Negan-esque levels of frustration.

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:47 pm

recent TPBs:

- Chilling Adventures of SABRINA v.1 (#1-5)
- Legacy of Luther Strode (v.3)
- GROO: Friends and Foes v.1 (#9-12)
- Wytches v.1 (#1-5?)
- The Walking Dead v.25 (#145-150)

i still haven't picked up a copy of ODY-Cv.2 yet...

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:43 pm

A mixed bag in terms of art/appeal for me. The stories that focused on Nintendo, and fighting games appealed to me more than some of the other tales. That said, the Tales of the Crystals story was one of the better tales in the anthology.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Clockwork_Fish wrote:Monstress vol 1!

It's not for everyone; it's a frightfully dark comic, but not unnecessarily so. The story and art are richly detailed and it's this great blend of fantasy, steampunk, Lovecraft and manga that works really well. It's up there with Saga as having a permanent spot on my regular monthly pull list but I wanted to pick up the trade anyways. It's also about three times the size of your average Marvel graphic novel, with about five times more story, and at half the price.

I didn't find the lore to be too inviting. There are some cool moments, and some interesting characters, but it needs more oomph on the writing side. At least, make the flow of the lore dumps with the professor more fluid.

Sana Takeda proved she (still) should be considered one of the best artists of the business. Made everything in the script better than it would've been under the average artist.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur vol. 1: BFF.

Didn't have high expectations after reading issue #1, months ago. First few issues don't do enough to make the action worth caring for. The second half showed promise with more emotional meat on the bone. Trade ending on a good cliffhanger, and I'm hoping the next trade builds off the ending well.

LobsterJ

phrase IV

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 am

Clockwork_Fish wrote:Image

Shutter vol 4

Going to be honest here; I love and hate this series. It can be a lot of fun, but it's fond of brutal cliffhangers at the end of each arc. This one ended with the worst yet (fair warning here)

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
90% of the cast are randomly slaughtered in the final pages and the protagonist left a catatonic wreck. The Leopard, General, Alain, pretty much everyone but Kate and Christopher, all dead. Maybe Hucklebury lives if she didn't bleed out. The book literally ends with a giant pile of gore and viscera that was 90% of the cast.

I can't say that it's bad, I still like this series, but it prints out the entire TVTropes entry on Mood Whiplash, wraps it around a baseball bat and tries to beat the reader to death with it. And since the next arc doesn't even have a release date yet, according to Image's website, I'd say wait a while before picking this volume up unless you want to deal with Negan-esque levels of frustration.

For some reason, I really enjoy this book. Great artwork, too.

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:23 pm

GLX wrote:
I didn't find the lore to be too inviting. There are some cool moments, and some interesting characters, but it needs more oomph on the writing side. At least, make the flow of the lore dumps with the professor more fluid.

Sana Takeda proved she (still) should be considered one of the best artists of the business. Made everything in the script better than it would've been under the average artist.

I agree the lore dumps could have been better integrated. I wouldn't have minded if they just did one issue of lore stuff at the end of this arc. Still, I like this series. Normally anything even remotely manga-esque is a red flag for me, but this just works for me.

Anyhoo...

Invisible Republic vol 2! A hard-ish sci-fi cyberpunk political thriller. Very good if you're into that sort of thing. Which I am.

Injection. 'Nuff said. 8)

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:08 am

asshats

Postby asshats » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:39 pm

none, but need suggestions for new ones.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:01 am

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:22 pm

This one is probably only of interest to my fellow Canadians, but...

Secret Path is rather somber graphic novel and accompanying concept album by musician Gord Downie and illustrated by Jeff Lemire. It's about the real life story of Chanie Wenjack, an Anishinaabe boy who died of exposure after escaping from a residential school and trying to find his way home along the train tracks.

The graphic novel comes with a download code for the album, and proceeds will be donated to The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Peter-J-DeadPoole

penile prisoner

Postby Peter-J-DeadPoole » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:16 pm

last one i read was ODY-C vol.2
which would have been good except for all the rape drama and 'all men are evil shit' propaganda. time to drop that garbage.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:04 pm

leave a comment with facebook