Advertisement

What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 33252
Likes: 117 posts
Liked in: 138 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:23 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:It's not the 52 crap or the costs.

It's the now defunct reprint program that was called DC Archives.

For me, DC is dead. All that still exists is the classic old stuff I like(d). So, they want my money, give me good reprints of stuff as well as good digital copies too. Stuff from the 1930s to the year prior to the 52 launch.

The new shit is shit. The old shit, was not.

Also, Marvel... still pumps out their Masterworks line. Take that you stupid fuckers.


Yeah, shame DC gets rid of a line that stops being profitable. How dare they!
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

TheLurker
Rorshach Test Subject
 
Posts: 808
Likes: 88 posts
Liked in: 191 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:08 pm
Location: Madtown, WI, USA
Title: Hefner


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby TheLurker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:37 pm

I didn't know they stopped those. They were a little too expensive for me to buy regularly, unfortunately. But at the local Barnes and Noble they had a used books area that (I think) still gets TPBs and Archives occasionally. I would always try to buy a bunch when I could. Great way to connect with old, fun stories.

Booo!

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1480
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 350 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Chessack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Yeah, shame DC gets rid of a line that stops being profitable. How dare they!


If they weren't profitable, then how come every one of them that I have tried to get my hands on is sold out, has to be special-ordered, and costs more than the original cover price because it's now a "collectors' item?"

Stalzer2002
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2778
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 27 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Man, I'm actually going to be the one who defends DC. Whodathunkit?

Anyway, DC's trades department has gotten a lot better in the last year or so. They've started putting out tpbs of things like Grell's Green Arrow, Ostrander's Spectre, Martian Manhunter and Deadshot, and most importantly, Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans. These are classics, most of which are being reprinted for the first time in decades. And they're doing it in nice, affordable paperbacks instead of insanely overpriced hardcovers. Sure, there are still some glaring omissions, like PAD's Supergirl and Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but their recent track record leads me to believe that we'll see those books and others sooner or later. Of course, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that the trades department improved drastically a couple of years after Bob Harras was promoted out of it.
Image
Image

Lord Ice
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2783
Likes: 33 posts
Liked in: 127 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Lord Ice » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:39 pm

At least they're finally releasing the Showcase trade of Captain Carrot, unless they change their minds again. :smt013 :smt026

Now, if only they'd do a collection of 'Mazing Man.
Image

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1480
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 350 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Chessack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:These are classics, most of which are being reprinted for the first time in decades. And they're doing it in nice, affordable paperbacks instead of insanely overpriced hardcovers.


I don't need HCs. I'm fine with trades. Even the B&W reprints in the Showcase Presents formats are tolerable. I just want to read the damn stories.

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 33252
Likes: 117 posts
Liked in: 138 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Chessack wrote:
If they weren't profitable, then how come every one of them that I have tried to get my hands on is sold out, has to be special-ordered, and costs more than the original cover price because it's now a "collectors' item?"


I said it stopped being profitable. That implies it was profitable once, but ceased to be profitable as time went on.
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67327
Likes: 1037 posts
Liked in: 821 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
I said it stopped being profitable. That implies it was profitable once, but ceased to be profitable as time went on.


Provide proof of your claim please.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67327
Likes: 1037 posts
Liked in: 821 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:29 pm

I want hard covers. Yes they are expensive but they last longer and look better on a shelf. Plus they can double as a self defense weapon with the weight and hardness. Get enough and you can body build with them. But mostly, they hold together better.. as long as they were put together properly.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 33252
Likes: 117 posts
Liked in: 138 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:50 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Provide proof of your claim please.


To be honest, I took your word on it the line Archives line being canceled. Having looked further into your claims, I can't find anything saying the Archives line was canceled. So I'd like to see your proof that it is.

Anyhow, logic dictates that if a company stops producing a product, it's because it either lost money producing it or didn't make enough money to justify its continued production. Or the product just became redundant.

The latter may turn out be the case, with DC producing Omnibus editions.
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1480
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 350 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Chessack » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Juan Cena wrote: Having looked further into your claims, I can't find anything saying the Archives line was canceled. So I'd like to see your proof that it is.


I don't believe there was ever a formal announcement that the line was canceled. They just stopped producing them and a long time went by... so now we assume it's done.

Anyhow, logic dictates that if a company stops producing a product, it's because it either lost money producing it or didn't make enough money to justify its continued production. Or the product just became redundant.


Well, they're not redundant.

As for whether the line made or lost money, only DC knows. I don't agree that something stopping always indicates a loss of money from the product. When the game City of Heroes was canceled, it was still making money for Paragon Studios and NCSoft. Not tons of money, but it was well more than paying for its own existence. NCSoft decided to cancel it anyway. And after NCSoft decided they no longer wanted to run it, Paragon went to them and offered to buy it back from them, but NC said no. So clearly just "making money" is not the only reason why things get canceled.

Now was that happening with Archives? Again, only DC knows. But them stopping doing something doesn't automatically mean it wasn't making money.

The Old Doctor likes this post.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67327
Likes: 1037 posts
Liked in: 821 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
To be honest, I took your word on it the line Archives line being canceled. Having looked further into your claims, I can't find anything saying the Archives line was canceled. So I'd like to see your proof that it is.

Anyhow, logic dictates that if a company stops producing a product, it's because it either lost money producing it or didn't make enough money to justify its continued production. Or the product just became redundant.

The latter may turn out be the case, with DC producing Omnibus editions.


First, you did not provide any proof to your argument as politely asked. Then you continue being factitious and ask for proof.

Then you try to apply poor logic to this. Again, no facts and showing an ignorance (again as with animation, tv and film) that you really do have no understanding of how business truly works.

You want logic? Here - One, several here have also stated that they are no longer published. Two, there are no adverts for new releases nor of re-releases, feel free to provide proof of that or not being so while also providing the evidence to your "research". Give that there adverts here on this site and none for a good long time have had none, concludes that they were halted. Three, you claim that halted publishing programs are due to loss of sales, yet anecdotal evidence here provided the contrary to your theory which you claim as fact. To further, it would mean given the reported poor sales of DC for the past year, that the entire staff at the top should be fired and the line canceled.

You once again try to provide a theory as a fact that can be argued. You need some facts to argue a theory, you provided none to date.

Omnibus Editions are not Archives and is obviously so. Stop theorizing as though these are facts and not guesses on your part.

Proof - Again, the release information provided here and at various comics sites including DC itself. Wikipedia and other sources for checklists and other information on the line and similar product.

Finally, name the last new one released and it's release date. Even by your memory.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

OneWhoIsAll
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1761
Likes: 629 posts
Liked in: 493 posts
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:25 am
Location: Benched
Title: SilentKnight
Formerly: KnightofOwls


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Chessack wrote:
I don't believe there was ever a formal announcement that the line was canceled. They just stopped producing them and a long time went by... so now we assume it's done.



Well, they're not redundant.

As for whether the line made or lost money, only DC knows. I don't agree that something stopping always indicates a loss of money from the product. When the game City of Heroes was canceled, it was still making money for Paragon Studios and NCSoft. Not tons of money, but it was well more than paying for its own existence. NCSoft decided to cancel it anyway. And after NCSoft decided they no longer wanted to run it, Paragon went to them and offered to buy it back from them, but NC said no. So clearly just "making money" is not the only reason why things get canceled.

Now was that happening with Archives? Again, only DC knows. But them stopping doing something doesn't automatically mean it wasn't making money.


When it comes to comics I think DC just sets the bar to high. Apprently 30 000 issues of a title being sold isn't good enough profit.
Image

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67327
Likes: 1037 posts
Liked in: 821 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Online


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

KnightofOwls wrote:
When it comes to comics I think DC just sets the bar to high. Apprently 30 000 issues of a title being sold isn't good enough profit.


They have weird ways of deciding the profit needed to keep a title or line afloat.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1480
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 350 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: What Really Ticks Me Off About DC Comics These Days

Postby Chessack » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:39 pm

KnightofOwls wrote:When it comes to comics I think DC just sets the bar to high. Apprently 30 000 issues of a title being sold isn't good enough profit.


Well, DC gets to make that decision. They actually cancel at 20,000, not 30. Whether the 20,000 mark indicates "no longer in the black" or just indicates they no longer want to publish it, there is no way to tell. Clearly at some point they'd have to stop due to losing money on the deal. Maybe 20k is it.

I don't have a problem with them canceling lines that are not profitable, and if the HC Archives didn't make them money, then OK. But there's no good reason why they couldn't put these stories out digitally. Superman just had a 75th anniversary. Wouldn't this be a great time to put out all the old original Action Comics, digitally?

We know DC is not averse to doing this in principle, because they've put out the old 1980s MW/GP Teen Titans (I'm busy reading them). They've put out Perez WW. And so forth. We know it's doable because they have done some very old original Action Comics. So why not do them all? It costs almost nothing, just the digitization price, which can't be very much given that they already have the technology and put out 52+ digital comics a month anyway. Marvel is able to do it with their Silver Age stuff... so why not DC? Or are we going to try to argue now that Marvel does this even though they lose money on it?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MSN NewsBlogs, Will_Ripamonti and 225 guests

Advertisement