Advertisement

What's The Deal With Marvel & Marvel Man

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

What's The Deal With Marvel & Marvel Man

Postby Draco x » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Does anyone know what Marvel's plans for Marvel Man are at this moment since they bought the rights a while back? The only thing Marvel has done is release some TPBs and not much else. Unless I am in the dark here, there doesn't really seem to be any plans on Marvel's part to do something with him. Does anyone know otherwise here?
If they were to actually use him, I do hope that they don't bring him to the Marvel Universe as there are way too many characters in it already so I would rather them keep him in his own universe but have some crossovers with regular Marvel characters like the current Captain Marvel or Genis if possible. That's just my thoughts.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What's The Deal With Marvel & Marvel Man

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

I doubt they'll use him. If they do, it would be stupid.

They currently own the rights and have published a lot of the Mick Anglo stuff but I don't know what's going on with the Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman stuff. I kinda got tired of caring.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Keb wrote:I doubt they'll use him. If they do, it would be stupid.

They currently own the rights and have published a lot of the Mick Anglo stuff but I don't know what's going on with the Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman stuff. I kinda got tired of caring.

Sadly this is true. I hope they don't let the franchise rot in limbo like the terrible injustice they did to Malibu in the 90s.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

I assume the MarvelMan Classic hardcovers didn't sell very well. I see a ton of MarvelMan, Young MarvelMan, Kid Marvelman and MarvelMan Family hardcovers at book stores that sell remainders and overstock. Truthfully, I doubt anyone is really interested in those. They are pretty poor comics from what I hear.

If Marvel were to release the Alan Moore stuff in omnibus edition, I'm sure people would jump on it quick. Hell, I'd probably buy one and I hate omnibus editions.

If they do have any plans to release new material, they should at least let Gaiman finish telling his story.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm

So true. Whatever the case I hope it doesn't involve putting Marvelman and co. in the regular Marvel Universe as that would be bad all over.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Keb wrote:I assume the MarvelMan Classic hardcovers didn't sell very well. I see a ton of MarvelMan, Young MarvelMan, Kid Marvelman and MarvelMan Family hardcovers at book stores that sell remainders and overstock. Truthfully, I doubt anyone is really interested in those. They are pretty poor comics from what I hear.

If Marvel were to release the Alan Moore stuff in omnibus edition, I'm sure people would jump on it quick. Hell, I'd probably buy one and I hate omnibus editions.

If they do have any plans to release new material, they should at least let Gaiman finish telling his story.

I'm sure Marvel would jump at the chance to let Gaiman finish his Marvelman story. It's just a matter of Neil being able to find the time to finish it. He's a little more busy these days than he was in 1990.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
I'm sure Marvel would jump at the chance to let Gaiman finish his Marvelman story. It's just a matter of Neil being able to find the time to finish it. He's a little more busy these days than he was in 1990.

Whatever the case, Marvelman shouldn't rot in limbo under Marvel. If they can't find a good use for him then Dynamite or Boom sure will.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:08 am

draco x wrote:
Whatever the case, Marvelman shouldn't rot in limbo under Marvel. If they can't find a good use for him then Dynamite or Boom sure will.

Yes, Dynamite could have done wonders with the character but it looks like Marvel will just keep the rights to the character & let it languish. Would love Dynamite to have the character, even if it's as Miracleman to avoid legal wrangles.
Thought MM was brilliant up to a point. Once he lost his human Mickey Moran persona & started being portrayed as Godlike the series lost it for me. The end of the Moore run and what followed with Delano & Gaiman was unrelenting tedium. Hope Gaiman goes nowhere near MM if there ever is any new material.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 618 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 am

Marvel just trademarked "Kimota!", Marvelman's transformation cry, for: Comic books; magazines featuring printed stories in illustrated form and comic book stories and artwork; printed periodicals in the field of comic book stories and artwork; posters. so its possible they are doing something with him in the near future.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/30/ ... ks-kimota/

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 618 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 am

draco x wrote:

Didn't Marvel buy the rights for the character?? if so, how could Dynamite or Boom use him??

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:50 am

UnionJack wrote:
Yes, Dynamite could have done wonders with the character but it looks like Marvel will just keep the rights to the character & let it languish. Would love Dynamite to have the character, even if it's as Miracleman to avoid legal wrangles.
Thought MM was brilliant up to a point. Once he lost his human Mickey Moran persona & started being portrayed as Godlike the series lost it for me. The end of the Moore run and what followed with Delano & Gaiman was unrelenting tedium. Hope Gaiman goes nowhere near MM if there ever is any new material.

Never bothered to red the Neil Gaiman stuff. Moore's work was just too good.

e_galston wrote:
Didn't Marvel buy the rights for the character?? if so, how could Dynamite or Boom use him??

I think what he was implying is that if Marvel isn't going to use the character, that Dynamite or Boom might make better use of the rights.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:08 am

Keb wrote:Never bothered to red the Neil Gaiman stuff. Moore's work was just too good.

I think what he was implying is that if Marvel isn't going to use the character, that Dynamite or Boom might make beret use of the rights.

You missed nothing trust me. Moore's run was great up to a point and IMO is still the best re-imagining of a character (an extremely corny one at that) ever in comics. That new origin story with the alien bio-engineering, imprinted memories & false 'comic-book' origin, alternate bodies & Gargunza was superb.
However, once Moore killed off Moran the series lost a relatable character & closed off a lot of potential. The man/superman dilemma & the relationship with his wife was core to the character, I felt at least.
Then it got boring with MM reflecting on how he was so above normal humans while 'dancing among the stars' (ugh) with Marvel/Miraclewoman. Became even more tedious when Moore left.
Still, I repeat, best ever re-telling of a character, even better than his Swamp Thing origin.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand