Advertisement

What If The New Green Lantern Was Female

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 581 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What If The New Green Lantern Was Female

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

draco x wrote:But wasn't Jade around for a good part of the 90s before Hal became Parallax? I do remember seeing her in Reign Of The Supermen briefly before Hal left Earth and came back, so they would have known each other before that due Hal and her father Alan being associates.

My knowledge of Jade prior to her becoming a supporting cast member in Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern book is sketchy at best but I would assume that Jade was a little too young for Hal at the time that he was alive and unpossessed by a cosmic cockroach. It's not like she would have been able to artificially age herself like Arisia and I'm pretty sure that even Hal has some standards.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 194 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Grayson wrote:
My knowledge of Jade prior to her becoming a supporting cast member in Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern book is sketchy at best but I would assume that Jade was a little too young for Hal at the time that he was alive and unpossessed by a cosmic cockroach. It's not like she would have been able to artificially age herself like Arisia and I'm pretty sure that even Hal has some standards.

Plus I do see some tension between him and Alan Scott if he ever went there at that time.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

draco x wrote:
Not to contradict you and all but why would you assume that a hypothetical female character I suggested alienate said audience or cause controversy necessarily? I do agree that there might some critics but like I said you can't please everybody. I don't necessarily see a lot of Arab groups wanting to burn or firebomb DC Comics for making a female GL Arabic character due to the idea it might be offensive.

It happens. When one group of people don't like something, they get vocal on the internet. I'm not talking about Muslims wanting to to firebomb DC or any of that, but it will cause controversy if the demographic that the character belongs to feels they may be misrepresented. It happens.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Keb wrote:It happens. When one group of people don't like something, they get vocal on the internet. I'm not talking about Muslims wanting to to firebomb DC or any of that, but it will cause controversy if the demographic that the character belongs to feels they may be misrepresented. It happens.

I am pretty sure there was some uproar about characters like Kevin Keller getting his own series or making Batwoman a lesbian by conservative and religious people but that their books haven't been cancelled as of yet. Plus I haven't heard the gay and lesbian community speaking out against them for the most part either. Who knows, maybe if DC had taken the female Arabic GL idea on, maybe people in the Arabic community may be more curious than offended as the saying goes: controversy sells. The fact of the matter is that the character would be getting attention and if DC plays it right that could work in their favor.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Geoff already created an Iranian heroine just so she could be cannon fodder in his Aquaman run. And there wasn't any more controversy than there is for any of the other stupid things they've done.

Marvel periodically missed the point of Dust's burqa, and made it as skintight as any of their Western women's costumes:

Again, no more outrage than any other stupid thing they've done.

I repeat: They ought to TRY. The problem is, Dan and the Gang need to get the boot first, so it's done RIGHT.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Herald wrote:Geoff already created an Iranian heroine just so she could be cannon fodder in his Aquaman run. And there wasn't any more controversy than there is for any of the other stupid things they've done.

Marvel periodically missed the point of Dust's burqa, and made it as skintight as any of their Western women's costumes:

I repeat: They ought to TRY. The problem is, Dan and the Gang need to get the boot first, so it's done RIGHT.

Very much so, Herald. The main reason why the female GL thing wouldn't work is because Didio, Harras and co would find some way to fuck it up like many other things.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

draco x wrote:
I am pretty sure there was some uproar about characters like Kevin Keller getting his own series or making Batwoman a lesbian by conservative and religious people but that their books haven't been cancelled as of yet. Plus I haven't heard the gay and lesbian community speaking out against them for the most part either. Who knows, maybe if DC had taken the female Arabic GL idea on, maybe people in the Arabic community may be more curious than offended as the saying goes: controversy sells. The fact of the matter is that the character would be getting attention and if DC plays it right that could work in their favor.

Are they fairly well represented as minorities?

The thing is, if they're well-represented, then they're not going to cause any controversy.

Herald wrote:I repeat: They ought to TRY. The problem is, Dan and the Gang need to get the boot first, so it's done RIGHT.

I don't disagree with you. I just don't see it as being a very strong idea from a marketing perspective given who the target demographic is and that's why we'd never see it.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Keb wrote:Are they fairly well represented as minorities?

The thing is, if they're well-represented, then they're not going to cause any controversy.

I don't disagree with you. I just don't see it as being a very strong idea from a marketing perspective given who the target demographic is and that's why we'd never see it.

-But that would be assuming that a female Arabic character in a main title can't be represented-a theory that's not set in stone unless the waters are tested.
-We all pretty much agree that there is no faith that Didio and co would ever get this right due to their lengthy track record of incompetence and short-sightedness.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 am

Herald wrote:Geoff already created an Iranian heroine just so she could be cannon fodder in his Aquaman run. And there wasn't any more controversy than there is for any of the other stupid things they've done.

you either don't know what "skintight" means, or you've never seen a Muslim woman in a burqua before. Maybe both
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 am

draco x wrote:
-But that would be assuming that a female Arabic character in a main title can't be represented-a theory that's not set in stone unless the waters are tested.
-We all pretty much agree that there is no faith that Didio and co would ever get this right due to their lengthy track record of incompetence and short-sightedness.

Based on Dust and based of some of the personal relationships I've had with Arabic women, I really don't see a character working. Like I said, it would be a great triumph for comics if they did it right, but knowing the target demographic and the history of minority women characters in the medium, it would be a stretch and probably more than likely doomed to fail from the get-go.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 am

dairydead wrote:
you either don't know what "skintight" means, or you've never seen a Muslim woman in a burqua before. Maybe both

Listen, when you get tired of being wrong, let me know; maybe we can have Jubilee or someone else take over. :P

A burqa does not hug the chest or any of the other contours of the female body as shown in those last 2 pictures, especially the one in which Dust is posing seductively (which is also incorrect, of course). It HANGS LOOSELY, like a drape.

Watch and learn:

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 am

Herald wrote:
Listen, when you finally get tired of being wrong, let me know; maybe we can have Jubilee or someone else take over, and you can take one of those refreshing naps you seem to need. :P

A burqa does not hug the chest, framing the roundness as shown in those pictures, especially the one in which Dust is posing seductively (which is also incorrect, of course). It HANGS LOOSELY, like a drape.

Watch and learn:

Like I said, when you get tired of me proving you wrong, we can call in a sub for you...

Sorry man, I see women in burquas every single day. I know what I'm talking about. You're still saying that those Dust illustrations are "skin tight". You're wrong

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 am

Keb wrote:I don't disagree with you. I just don't see it as being a very strong idea from a marketing perspective given who the target demographic is and that's why we'd never see it.

AGAIN: From that same "marketing perspective", John Stewart, Static, Nu Beetle, etc. weren't very strong ideas, either. And yet, they were created, anyway, and the first two actually went over well with a non-comic-reader audience.

If everything DC does should be based on this narrow-minded "marketing perspective", we should be seeing a universe with nothing but 30+-year-old white guys in it. Thankfully, even Dan and the Gang know better than to do that...
Last edited by Herald on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

dairydead wrote:
Sorry man, I see women in burquas every single day. I know what I'm talking about.

You have yet to prove it...

You're still saying that those Dust illustrations are "skin tight". You're wrong

Around her chest, they are. Burqas aren't supposed to frame the chest like that. One of the purposes of the clothing is to AVOID objectification. (That's why I posted the first pic of Dust talking!) Those last 2 pics promote it.
Last edited by Herald on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 am

Herald wrote:
You have yet to prove it...

Around her chest, they are. Burqas aren't supposed to frame the chest like that.

But some of them do. Some women have large breasts. Its pretty common at least around here. Sorry, i don't have a "Muslim women of Dearborn" image bank on my computer at the moment. You'll just have to understand that i have a more informed stance on this and leave it at that.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand