Advertisement

What If The New Green Lantern Was Female

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: What If The New Green Lantern Was Female

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 am

dairydead wrote:
But some of them do. Some women have large breasts.

And the outfit still hangs loosely instead of framing the breasts.

Again, since you missed it: One of the purposes of the clothing is to AVOID objectification. (That's why I posted the first pic of Dust talking!) Those last 2 pics promote it.

Sorry, i don't have a "Muslim women of Dearborn" image bank on my computer at the moment.

Good thing, because if you did, you'd realize even sooner how wrong you are. :P

You'll just have to understand that i have a more informed stance on this and leave it at that.

Again, you have yet to prove that you do...
Last edited by Herald on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 am

DC seemed to be more focused on having racially diverse heroes rather than gender-diverse.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 am

Herald wrote:
And the outfit still hangs loosely instead of framing the breasts.

Good thing, because if you did, you'd realize even sooner how wrong you are. :P

Again, you have yet to prove that you do...

guy. I literally live in an Arabic city. I see this on a daily basis. I'm sorry that i haven't taken the time to drive around town to snap pictures of Muslim ladies, but I'm right on this one, believe me. I simply have a better, more informed stance on this than you and Google Image Search do.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 am

And you keep thinking those minority male characters sell big. They don't. They sell very little. Numbers in the 10-12K range are not very well performing. They may get a big boost early but they don't sustain their numbers long term. Therefore they are not good ideas from a marketing perspective. If I'm going to put something on the market, it has to make me money or else why waste the money marketing an unsuccessful product?

It's why Dan & the Gang is rich and you are not.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

Also, Dust wears a niqab, not a burqa.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

dairydead wrote:
guy. I literally live in an Arabic city. I see this on a daily basis. I'm sorry that i haven't taken the time to drive around town to snap pictures of Muslim ladies, but I'm right on this one, believe me. I simply have a better, more informed stance on this than you and Google Image Search do.

You can make all the grandiose claims you want, but the fact remains that you have no proof of your claims.

Whereas I furnished clear, solid proof of mine.

YOU LOSE.
Learn to deal. 8)

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 am

Keb wrote:Also, Dust wears a niqab, not a burqa.

Fair enough.
All my points remain, though.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

Herald wrote:
You can make all the grandiose claims you want, but the fact remains that you have no proof of your claims.

Whereas I furnished clear, solid proof of mine.

YOU LOSE.
Learn to deal. 8)

i don't need proof. I have literal life experience. I don't see how you can't grasp this. I don't see why you are just assuming I'm lying about this for fun. :smt017

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

Herald wrote:
Fair enough.
All my points remain, though.

Your points come from an uneducated and uninformed perspective. You are incorrect.

If you think that all Muslim garb looks exactly like a handful of stock images on Google, you're stupider than i thought.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 am

Keb wrote:And you keep thinking those minority male characters sell big. They don't. They sell very little. Numbers in the 10-12K range are not very well performing. They may get a big boost early but they don't sustain their numbers long term. Therefore they are not good ideas from a marketing perspective. If I'm going to put something on the market, it has to make me money or else why waste the money marketing an unsuccessful product?

Then why should DC try to put out series featuring ANY character other than Batman?? HE is the character that sells the best, and is guaranteed to sell, no matter what! So let's just make the DCnU "ALL Batman, ALL the time!" and call it a day! After all, according to "marketing perspective", he's the ONLY character worth anyone's time and effort!

I repeat: Thankfully, even Dan and the Gang know better than that.

Here's another "marketing perspective" for you: Diversification of product is a GOOD idea. The more things that you can get to earn you money, the better. Don't put all you eggs in one basket, no matter how profitable that one basket is.

Sorry, but NO.
You can't be this clueless. :smt005

Dan and the Gang work for TIME WARNER.
TIME WARNER is rich, not Dan and the Gang.

Dan and the Gang are perpetually scrambling to sell a pathetic 100,000+ copies of $3-4 pamphlets monthly (MUCH LESS for most series), in an insular, dwindling industry propped up by aging fanboys with few younger readers coming in to replace them. (And that's AFTER an overhyped, mass-marketed reboot designed to attract new readers and boost those sales numbers stratospherically. :roll:) So many of their books keep selling so low that they have to cancel said books in WAVES. They WISH they could get rich making books like Sword of Sorcery only to see them crash and burn after a pitiful 8 issues.

Luckily, Time Warner owns prominent movie/TV studio Warner Bros., and prominent cable networks like HBO and Cinemax. Luckily, Time Warner doesn't rely on the piddly 100,000+ in sales at BEST that Dan and the Gang can muster in order to stay rich, because they'd be in BIG trouble if they did.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am

dairydead wrote:
i don't need proof.

Yes, you do.

When you're trying to prove something, you need proof. Anyone can make any wild claims they want, but they can't prove their claims without solid evidence. I don't know why you can't grasp this basic concept. :roll:

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:36 am

Keb wrote:Based on Dust and based of some of the personal relationships I've had with Arabic women, I really don't see a character working. Like I said, it would be a great triumph for comics if they did it right, but knowing the target demographic and the history of minority women characters in the medium, it would be a stretch and probably more than likely doomed to fail from the get-go.

Again that's probably what people would have said about Kevin Keller or Batwoman getting their own series and lo and behold we were proven wrong. And what does personal relationships have to do with your reasoning by chance?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 am

dairydead wrote:
i don't need proof. I have literal life experience. I don't see how you can't grasp this. I don't see why you are just assuming I'm lying about this for fun. :smt017

Would not be the first time he has assumed so.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am

Keb wrote:And you keep thinking those minority male characters sell big. They don't. They sell very little. Numbers in the 10-12K range are not very well performing. They may get a big boost early but they don't sustain their numbers long term. Therefore they are not good ideas from a marketing perspective. If I'm going to put something on the market, it has to make me money or else why waste the money marketing an unsuccessful product?

That's pretty much a moot point, buddy. Everyone for the most part knows that minority, female and gay characters will never sell as much as the typical straight white male character. However should that stop writers and companies from giving those type of characters a chance to shine? And also a lot of those cases why those titles fail is because of poor marketing and editorial bias and idiocy. As for Didio and co? Let's put it this way: a chimpanzee could run DC better than Dan and still make money as ironically the chimp would make better business decisions.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Herald wrote:
Yes, you do.

When you're trying to prove something, you need proof. Anyone can make any wild claims they want, but they can't prove their claims without solid evidence. I don't know why you can't grasp this basic concept. :roll:

These are not wild claims, these are opinions that are backed up with personal experience and common sense that simply state that all Muslim women do not wear the exact same outfit. There comes a point in the argument where you have to just simply concede that i know more about this than you do.

Let me educate you: Most muslim women who wear religious garb do not buy a "one size fits all" hijab from the hijab store that you apparently believe exists. You also don't seem to understand that there are almost endless variations these garbs; there are hijabs, niqabs, burqas, al-amira hijabs, just to name a few, and they are almost always custom made by or for the women that wear them, thus resulting in the fact that these women create them to fit their level of comfort and how they want to be seen.

I know its crazy to you that women could possibly make their own fashion choices, especially Arabic women, but the idea is not that wild! You see, in Muslim tradition, there is not a gold standard when it comes to these garbs. Sure, there are simple ideas of modesty and respect that these garbs are supposed to represent, but there is not a dictated "rule" as to how they NEED to look. The "modesty" aspect varies from woman to woman, and what each individual is comfortable with, and when they make and design their outfits, they use their own judgement to decide what is appropriate and what is not.

If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that to Arabic women, "modesty" isn't simply"hiding boobs with a sheet", it is more of a lifestyle that includes dressing modestly and holding themselves to a high, pure standard (theoretically). You will often see form fitting clothing accompanying these religious garb because, *GASP*, some women like form fitting clothes, and have deemed the fact that their head or arms and legs are covered is quite enough "modesty" for their chosen look.

A lot of the time though, these women are NOT pure, sexless creatures who have no self-identity, no free-will, or no ability to choose what they wear and how they wear it ( strange to imagine, right Herald?). Many Muslim women wear these garbs to respect their families or communities only. As i said before, wearing these things are WHOLLY the woman's choice, and they can choose how far to go with it.

I realize I don't have pictures of these people (why would i?), but I know more about this than you. Consider yourself educated on this topic.

at the end of the day, its quite easy to see why a woman would choose to wear a comfortable, slightly less boxy,easy-to-move-in version of this garb; especially if this Muslim is going as far as breaking tradition enough by wearing a Giant "X" on her clothes to represent her affiliation with another group outside Islam, not to mention breaking this "modesty" lifestyle by flaunting her superpowers to fight people.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand