Advertisement

What is Your Comic Book Science Breaking Point?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: What is Your Comic Book Science Breaking Point?

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Lord Simian wrote:

Hercules is a mythic based character though. That sort of thing doesn't seem so out of place with him as it does with Superman, who being a Kansas farm boy, seems a little more grounded in the real world. :smt102

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Hercules is a mythic based character though. That sort of thing doesn't seem so out of place with him as it does with Superman, who being a Kansas farm boy, seems a little more grounded in the real world. :smt102

He is an alien from another world who flies, can hear a mouse fart on the other side of the world, and shoots lasers from his eyeballs, while PRETENDING to be a Kansas farm boy. Please tell me again about how much more grounded in reality the Kryptonian is. ;)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
He is an alien from another world who flies, can hear a mouse fart on the other side of the world, and shoots lasers from his eyeballs, while PRETENDING to be a Kansas farm boy. Please tell me again about how much more grounded in reality the Kryptonian is. ;)

I'm not saying it makes sense, but one breaks my suspension of disbelief and takes me out of the story and the other doesn't. In the end, that's the difference. :smt102

Thank you Troy for the sig

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Chessack wrote:Even more fun, many comics show clear seasons. When real winter is happening in North America, many comics set in places like NYC will have winter in their pages (the Dec, Jan, Feb, etc, issues). Then when summer is happening in the real world North America, it happens in the comics too. If you try and track it, you notice that these characters have seen a LOT of winters and summers, but yet they have not gotten any older, and they're refer to stuff that happened 20 issues (and 3 or so winters) ago as "weeks" ago.

What's wrong with that? Old people always say "oh I haven't seen you in months" when actually they haven't seen you in years or "oh, we haven't talked in years" when haven't talked in decades and so on.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 am

Arion wrote:
What's wrong with that? Old people always say "oh I haven't seen you in months" when actually they haven't seen you in years or "oh, we haven't talked in years" when haven't talked in decades and so on.

Well, for one thing, apparently Christmas happens at a minimum of ten times a year in the MU. Every December there's a Christmas issue, so Spidey has had 167 Christmases in his 27 or so years of life! :)

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Well, for one thing, apparently Christmas happens at a minimum of ten times a year in the MU. Every December there's a Christmas issue, so Spidey has had 167 Christmases in his 27 or so years of life! :)

That's an awful lot of Christmas.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand