Advertisement

When Fans Take Outrage too Far. DC Employees hit with violent threats

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:29 am

This is the Anger Phase of the grief cycle, right?

Source: J.H. Williams III's Twitter

Ever since J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman announced their resignation from Batwoman, the story has yet to exit the news cycle. Since Wednesday evening, It has become public knowledge that this move was spurred by another bout of Editorial Inference from DC, namely the blocking of the impending marriage between Maggie Sawyer  and Batwoman herself.  With a response from Dan Didio that’s sure to go down in infamy, there is no possible way that the situation could get worse, right? Unfortunately, that has proven to not be the case.

I've just been told that threats of violence have been issued toward individuals at DC comics. This is unacceptable. It needs to stop now

As you can see here, J.H. Williams III tweeted that individuals at DC have been receiving threats of violence over the situation. Naturally, the Friday Evening Twitter chain included admonishment of such actions, but his welcomed stance does not alleviate the damage of such actions. Batwoman-Gate sadly joins a number of incidents where fans allow their passion to go too far, once again showing the negativity that can come from mixing the Internet’s ease of access and anonymity together. Without sounding too unprofessional, it is my hope that such actions remain the activity of a relative few misguided people, and not the standard of discourse in this fandom.

(Special Thanks goes out to The Mary Sue, Bleeding Cool and Cosmic Book News for alerting us to the situation.)

Written or Contributed by Linwood Earl Knight

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 394 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: When Fans Take Outrage too Far. DC Employees hit with vi

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I understand how people can be unhappy about this situation, but man, some people are idiots. :smt011

Thank you Troy for the sig

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 182 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I understand how people can be unhappy about this situation, but man, some people are idiots. :smt011

Yes, they can be.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 191 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Choices have consequences.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Spektre wrote:Choices have consequences.

Wait, are you defending these idiots? :?

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 233 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Odds are the fanboy that will send in a death threat, is a fanboy who didn't read the whole story.

Spektre
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 191 posts

Postby Spektre » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Wait, are you defending these idiots? :?

ALL choices have consequences including anyone's who would send a death threat.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Spektre wrote:
ALL choices have consequences including anyone's who would send a death threat.

OK fair enough then.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:34 pm

I wonder if any of these assholes are actually willing to do the one thing that would actually fix the problem: boycott DC until Didio and Harras are fired.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:I wonder if any of these assholes are actually willing to do the one thing that would actually fix the problem: boycott DC until Didio and Harras are fired.

That is a great point.

Instead, 50 bucks says they buy every SINGLE issue of the New 52 that comes out each and every month.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Chessack wrote:
That is a great point.

Instead, 50 bucks says they buy every SINGLE issue of the New 52 that comes out each and every month.

That's always been the problem with many fans. Over the past 13 years, Marvel and DC have brainwashed many a fan into believing many different things that run counter to writing good stories, but the one thing they've done extremely well is to convince people that by the only way your opinion matters is to buy the comics you're talking about. This along with the OCDish obsession with having the complete set of a character's adventures means that you have many a fan who continues to buy products they can't stand.

At this point, the opposite needs to happen. Or at the bare minimum, these fans need to buy the books they truly enjoy.

Hell, I'm thinking about boycotting Vertigo for a little bit to show how much I disapprove of DC's malaise. It's gotten that bad.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I definately agree making violent threats is taking things too far. Now boycotting and mocking the Didiocracy is a much preferable way.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 233 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:57 pm

SilverPhoenix wrote:This along with the OCDish obsession with having the complete set of a character's adventures means that you have many a fan who continues to buy products they can't stand.

Aye. I remember getting everything labeled "Our Worlds At War" and "Onslaught" so I wouldn't miss anything. Turns out those particular (respective) issues of Supergirl and Thor (as examples) didn't have much to do with the overall story. I learned my lesson after the former.

I too had the thought of buying these books, so I could say "I have every issue of Generation X, including the #0, #1/2," yadda yadda yadda. Then one day I went through my many boxes of comics, picked out the issues I didn't like (which totaled, I think 199), and sold them all for about $50 on eBay. Sure, I didn't have a straight collection of JLA from Issue One to Issue One-Hundred-Twenty-whenever it ended, but I happily purged my collection of those terrible runs by both Chris Claremont and Chuck Austen.

The horror...the horror...

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Yeah I have the OCD thing when it comes to certain characters, especially Supergirl. Good or bad (often very, very bad, sadly), I have every issue of every comic-book printed with her name in the title of the book from 1982 to today.

Fortunately, Peter David's run was so long that a good half of it is his, and another 25% is pre-Crisis and Silver Age, all of which vary from excellent to at least readable. The more recent stuff varies from readable to downright awful in many cases (except the very first arc of New 52, which was outstanding.. but it's been all steeply down hill since).

Hassan Mohammad
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: When Fans Take Outrage too Far. DC Employees hit with violent threats

Postby Hassan Mohammad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 pm

I curse the day when Didio joined DC.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand