Wednesday, May 25, 2016 • Evening Edition • "The Outhouse Universe will never be the same!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Why did John Byrne abruptly leave West Coast Avengers?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Zechs wrote:Oh I remember this. Claremont was pissed Bryne was using one of his toys (aka Magneto). Complains to Editor. Editor finds out it was a storyline he rejected. Bryne cries himself a hissy fit because he wanted to tell the story that of Magneto going evil again. Bryne quits and in order to fix this mess, Mark Gruenwald tells one of the most kick ass tales ever by explaining Magneto's real reason in this event, to find and confront the Red Skull. Ah good times.

Funny how some time later Mackie and Bryne would do all this shitastcular fun on the Spider-Man books.

Everything went on the right track when Byrne bailed. Imagine that :P

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 pm

fahd wrote:
Which do you think are his best drawings?

I like this one of Darkside.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... _4_001.jpg
John's best work is still Uncanny X-men or FF. His work in the last 10 years or so has been...off.

Kolimar

WTF is this rank?

Postby Kolimar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Since already BoS already answered NG's question in exactly the same way I would have (Byrnerobotics' FAQ is a pretty cool section and I had several of my questions -including NG's- answered there a few years ago), I simply wanted to express my undying love for Byrne's AWC run, my silly hope that one day we'll get a Forever continuation of that run, finishing that story the way Byrne wanted and my desire to make Chap puke. :P

Kolimar

WTF is this rank?

Postby Kolimar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 am

Arion wrote:John Byrne is complaining in his forum about the amount of speculation going on in this thread ...

LobsterJ wrote:byrne should just be thankful someone is talking about him in 2011 beyond his bizarro ass-kiss messageboard full of dudes stuck in 1986.

Well, he has good reason to complain. No actual relevant facts were posted before BoS' post, just personal attacks, speculation and jokes. And when BoS posted Byrne's answer to the question: "it's just his version". Automatic disqualification. Yeah, I'd like to hear the other guy's version too but, this request coming from a person already obviously hostile to Byrne (and far from alone here), it doesn't look exactly like it's in the spirit of fairness and, since this is probably all we'll get, it'll remain "just Byrne's version". Personally, I believe him. It sounds plausible, at the very least.

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:51 am

Kolimar wrote:

Well, he has good reason to complain. No actual relevant facts were posted before BoS' post, just personal attacks, speculation and jokes. And when BoS posted Byrne's answer to the question: "it's just his version". Automatic disqualification. Yeah, I'd like to hear the other guy's version too but, this request coming from a person already obviously hostile to Byrne (and far from alone here), it doesn't look exactly like it's in the spirit of fairness and, since this is probably all we'll get, it'll remain "just Byrne's version". Personally, I believe him. It sounds plausible, at the very least.

Nerdygirl isn't hostile towards John Byrne. If anything, she's claiming to have enjoyed the work and is looking for more Byrne goodness.

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Nerdygirl isn't hostile towards John Byrne. If anything, she's claiming to have enjoyed the work and is looking for more Byrne goodness.

Again - I'm still looking for this mystery thread on his forum. But yeah I liked the work. :smt102

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 am

I enjoyed Byrne's West Coast Avengers run. It reintroduced the Golden Age Torch, played around with Scarlet Witch, gave Wonder Man a little depth that he really didn't have before (he was a bit of a dick earlier in the series), and gave us the Legion of Substitute Avengers (GLA) LOL

I actually have a page of artwork from the U-Foes Acts of Vengeance issue.

Doozer

cheese

Postby Doozer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Kolimar wrote:

Complaining in your own walled-off forum about posters on an open forum is a bitch move.

If Byrne or his posters need to comment, they should do it here.

Unique. Hits.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Kolimar wrote: I simply wanted to express my undying love for Byrne's AWC run, my silly hope that one day we'll get a Forever continuation of that run, finishing that story the way Byrne wanted and my desire to make Chap puke. :P

I'll buy 10 copies if it'll make Chappy puke 10 times :-D

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Nerdygirl isn't hostile towards John Byrne. If anything, she's claiming to have enjoyed the work and is looking for more Byrne goodness.

I didn't read this as Kol stating Nerdy is the "hostile" one, but rather the immediate naysayers who had an axe to grind.

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Did anyone read Star Brand? I've heard mixed feelings about it; good and bad...

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Schlemmer wrote:Did anyone read Star Brand? I've heard mixed feelings about it; good and bad...

It was ok. Nothing spectacular except for the comicon issue.

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Chesscub wrote:
It was ok. Nothing spectacular except for the comicon issue.

I was a Psi-Force fan when it came to the New Universe

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:53 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I was a Psi-Force fan when it came to the New Universe

Psi-Force and DP7 were the best of the line. I tinkered around with a Psi-Force idea for a while.

Kolimar

WTF is this rank?

Postby Kolimar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Amoebas wrote:I didn't read this as Kol stating Nerdy is the "hostile" one, but rather the immediate naysayers who had an axe to grind.

You're absolutely correct.

leave a comment with facebook