Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Why did John Byrne abruptly leave West Coast Avengers?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:13 pm

I was reading the Darker than Scarlett trade and was suprised to see Byrne leave mid-storyline. I tried googling but couldn't turn anything up -- why did he leave the title so suddenly?

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Because he's a douche?

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Creative differences is what I recall.

That and yes, he's a douche as Punchy called him.

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 pm

because its John Byrne?? if he doesn't get his way he leaves

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

because his run was goddamn terrible, his future plans were even worse, editorial called him on his bullshit, and he stormed off in a huff.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm

unfortunately, editorial didn't pull him until AFTER they let him get away with Wanda blowing Wonder Man in front of the rest of the team. :smt011 :smt011

Psivage

FROGMAN

Postby Psivage » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:22 pm

chap22 wrote:unfortunately, editorial didn't pull him until AFTER they let him get away with Wanda blowing Wonder Man in front of the rest of the team. :smt011 :smt011

did she swallow?

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

He quit She-Hulk around the same time.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Psivage wrote:
did she swallow?

probably stopped short just before go-time. damn cock-tease...

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Psivage wrote:
did she swallow?

Seems to have, thus explaining the last 20 years of Marvel Comics.

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Psivage wrote:
did she swallow?

:lol:

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:26 pm

chap22 wrote:unfortunately, editorial didn't pull him until AFTER they let him get away with Wanda blowing Wonder Man in front of the rest of the team. :smt011 :smt011

:lol:

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Byrne'd out.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:32 pm

She didn't blow him.

You can see wanda's head. Editorial added that. So no blowing

Looks like she grabbed his junk and mesed it up now

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Avengers West Coast

What was the (presumably editorial) disagreement that caused such a sudden departure from the book?

JB: The departure was as sudden as it was for a simple reason: a bone-head EiC who did not pay attention. Several months before the Immortus storyline got started, we writers and editors were summoned to the EiC's office for the purpose of concocting the latest . . . shudder. . . Summer Crossover. As I had a storyline coming up in AWC that would be pretty cosmic and wide reaching, I offered it as the basis for the Crossover. The EiC said no, he didn't want to do that for the Crossover. So Howard Mackie (AWC Editor) and I returned to our jobs on the book, and went ahead with the story as planned. One month before we got to the Big Reveal, as it were, the EiC suddenly noticed we were doing the storyline he had "rejected". He ordered us to change it, immediately. Howard protested -- the EiC had not said we could not do the storyline, only that he did not want to use it for the Crossover. Finally the EiC pulled rank -- we Must change our story, as we did not have "permission" to do it. (Permission was needed only if stories caused major changes to characters or continuity. This did neither.) Since there was nothing I could do with all my months setup, other than the story as planned, I quit in protest, with Howard's support.

leave a comment with facebook