Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Postby Arion » Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Which goes back to the need to expand it outside of the comic shops. Comic books need to try to regain the mainstream retail space that was lost in the 80's and 90's.

I know. I wonder why is it so hard for them to realize that.

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 593 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Which goes back to the need to expand it outside of the comic shops. Comic books need to try to regain the mainstream retail space that was lost in the 80's and 90's.
Years ago at Newsarama's panel at HeroesCon, I asked JoeQ why comics weren't in supermarket checkout lines like Archie. He said they simply couldn't afford it with their broad number of titles whereas Archie has only a few digest titles. I don't like that answer, but at least I got one.
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 778 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

outsider wrote:Years ago at Newsarama's panel at HeroesCon, I asked JoeQ why comics weren't in supermarket checkout lines like Archie. He said they simply couldn't afford it with their broad number of titles whereas Archie has only a few digest titles. I don't like that answer, but at least I got one.

It's a real answer too.

The comics market has done nothing but collapse into a cottage industry... even with giant money making movies.

Which leads me to a question to make a thread about...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

outsider wrote:Years ago at Newsarama's panel at HeroesCon, I asked JoeQ why comics weren't in supermarket checkout lines like Archie. He said they simply couldn't afford it with their broad number of titles whereas Archie has only a few digest titles. I don't like that answer, but at least I got one.

Yet DC and Marvel could always do a digest book. I know DC did at one point in the 80s with reprint material. I'm surprised that Disney hasn't decided to do something about that. It's perfect marketing to get people to the Avengers. Reprinting Marvel Adventures Avengers or Marvel Adventures Iron Man.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Yet DC and Marvel could always do a digest book. I know DC did at one point in the 80s with reprint material. I'm surprised that Disney hasn't decided to do something about that. It's perfect marketing to get people to the Avengers. Reprinting Marvel Adventures Avengers or Marvel Adventures Iron Man.
Oh, I mentioned DC's Blue Ribbon Digests as an example, but JoeQ avoided talking about that (damn him). I didn't want to be 'that guy' and bug him more than I already was. 'That guy' was present, though, and asked a shit-ton of questions about Captain America. Even Matt Brady was getting annoyed, lol.
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Chesscub wrote:

DC started that around 1979 and then ended it by 1984. They were great. The Adventure Comics stuff was terrific.
Meanwhile, Marvel had the short lived Pocket Book reprints around 1978. Great stuff too. DC did some black & white reprints in PB style. Okay but they changed so much of the art work... not so good.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Thu May 09, 2013 3:32 pm

You guys act like comics would actually sell in a grocery store, but why do you think they aren't there any more? Because they hadn't been selling! FCBD is about comic book stores because they're the ones who need comics to sell. Putting FCBD in a grocery store is not going to get people to go back to buying comic books there because the people who would have bought them there don't want to buy comic books in the first place.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Regulator wrote:You guys act like comics would actually sell in a grocery store, but why do you think they aren't there any more? Because they hadn't been selling! FCBD is about comic book stores because they're the ones who need comics to sell. Putting FCBD in a grocery store is not going to get people to go back to buying comic books there because the people who would have bought them there don't want to buy comic books in the first place.

Which is why you do reprint digests. The bulk of the cost is in publishing on lesser quality paper with some being kicked back to the original creators.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Regulator wrote:You guys act like comics would actually sell in a grocery store, but why do you think they aren't there any more? Because they hadn't been selling! FCBD is about comic book stores because they're the ones who need comics to sell. Putting FCBD in a grocery store is not going to get people to go back to buying comic books there because the people who would have bought them there don't want to buy comic books in the first place.
I agree - comics will not work in a mainstream setting until they can be significantly cheaper ($1, maybe $2). The dollar-per-minute of entertainment value in a comic versus a video game, especially an app, is significantly different - even when you factor in the cost of having a smartphone or tablet.

It sucks b/c I loves me some comics, but unless you have parents buying them, kiddos aren't going to get them on their own until they're in their tweens or even older.
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Which is why you do reprint digests. The bulk of the cost is in publishing on lesser quality paper with some being kicked back to the original creators.

This.

outsider wrote:I agree - comics will not work in a mainstream setting until they can be significantly cheaper ($1, maybe $2). The dollar-per-minute of entertainment value in a comic versus a video game, especially an app, is significantly different - even when you factor in the cost of having a smartphone or tablet.

It sucks b/c I loves me some comics, but unless you have parents buying them, kiddos aren't going to get them on their own until they're in their tweens or even older.

But this too.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't know how to make it affordable (reprints?) but if comics could be in the godsdamnedmuthafucking 'Dollar Spot' or whatever it's called at Target, Walmart, etc., I think they could get some of that mainstream flavor back. That cheap shit is like crack to kids, and weak-willed parents that are sick of hearing whining will easily cave because if a buck or two will give them a moment's peace while they go buy groceries, they'll do it.
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:48 pm

outsider wrote:I don't know how to make it affordable (reprints?) but if comics could be in the godsdamnedmuthafucking 'Dollar Spot' or whatever it's called at Target, Walmart, etc., I think they could get some of that mainstream flavor back. That cheap shit is like crack to kids, and weak-willed parents that are sick of hearing whining will easily cave because if a buck or two will give them a moment's peace while they go buy groceries, they'll do it.

That or the old grab bag style with one or three old/recent comics in each bag for something like a buck. Mind you, those were really just the distributors pulling a fast make-a-buck while ripping off the publishers.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:

DC started that around 1979 and then ended it by 1984. They were great. The Adventure Comics stuff was terrific.
Meanwhile, Marvel had the short lived Pocket Book reprints around 1978. Great stuff too. DC did some black & white reprints in PB style. Okay but they changed so much of the art work... not so good.

The trouble is that I don't recall ever seeing the DC digests where I usually find the Archie digests - In the checkout line. That would require DC/Marvel/whoever to pay for that space, IIRC.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 09, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't think there's many magazine publishers that have a "broad number of titles" that have all their mags sold at the supermarket. Heck, It's been like forever since i saw a regular issue of Sports Illustrated over at Publix. So that's not much of an excuse.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:

The trouble with the DC digests was that they never has anything like a regular Superman digest or a Batman digest. They could've had a Superman digest, for example, which featured a couple of reprints of solo Supes stories, a Supergirl story, a JLA story with Supes in it, a Superboy/LSH story, and maybe a rotating non-Supes character (WW, Capt. Marvel, GL, etc.) Same with Batman. Or maybe a JLA digest with a couple of JLA stories with Flash, WW, GL, Aquaman, etc. as well.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand