Thursday, December 8, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Arion wrote:
They increased the price? My goodness.

Yeah, I'm shocked too. I'm going to be even less shocked if prices went a little more higher in a few years. I can see iTunes rising up to $1.50 or even $1.99.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Yeah, I'm shocked too. I'm going to be even less shocked if prices went a little more higher in a few years. I can see iTunes rising up to $1.50 or even $1.99.

That doesn't make sense. Why increase the price of digital stuff? What a way to promote piracy...

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Arion wrote:
That doesn't make sense. Why increase the price of digital stuff? What a way to promote piracy...

Because of royalties to artists, for one reason. Taylor Swift took her music off of Spotify because of she felt that they should be paying her a higher royalty fee than they were.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Well that took you a while, eh?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Well that took you a while, eh?

I was checking up on this thread to see if I had said something relevant to another thread.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

I was checking up on this thread to see if I had said something relevant to another thread.

Really? What's the chance of that?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Really? What's the chance of that?

Trying to figure if I had said something before I started to claim that I had said it.

avengingtitan

Rain Partier

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:12 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Well that took you a while, eh?

That's what his hand says.

:smt078

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 am

Juan Cena wrote:
I'm just not seeing prices come down for new comics Comixology in the future. I've heard for years how technology was supposed to make all kinds of things cheaper (cable/satelite, medical services, etc) Hasn't happened yet for the most part.

Why would they? People have proved they will pay the current price, and have never really balked when the price is raised.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 am

People did when netflix tried the big price raise a few years ago, and they lost so many subscribers they dropped that plan.

Superhero comics readers have given Marvel and DC the opposite message, though, because of their bizarre tendency to be 'completists', and their unusually strong ties to the characters.

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 am

Victorian Squid wrote:People did when netflix tried the big price raise a few years ago, and they lost so many subscribers they dropped that plan.

Superhero comics readers have given Marvel and DC the opposite message, though, because of their bizarre tendency to be 'completists', and their unusually strong ties to the characters.

... and their apparently unlimited budgets. Since even if I *wanted* to be a completist, I would not be able to afford it these days. I mean $5 a comic? Times however many comics Marvel puts out? Per MONTH? Ouch. And then if you are doing DC too... we're talking almost as much as I pay in my mortgage. For comic books.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am

Victorian Squid wrote:People did when netflix tried the big price raise a few years ago, and they lost so many subscribers they dropped that plan.

Netflix DID raise prices, twice in the last few years.

It's $8.99 now for new customers, which is $2 more than it was when I signed up. Googles tells me their most recent increase was $1 a year ago.

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:18 am

I believe this is incorrect. I know personally Netflix has raised my price at least once.

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:24 am

The plan that Netflix backpedaled on was the whole Qwikster thing, where they planned to seperate their streaming and DVD-by-mail. They had a 60% price increase that summer, and the combined negative feedback forced them to abandon the Qwikster plans. The price increase stayed, though. That was 2011, I believe. So that was the first price increase, and then another last year.

Rob Thompson

Zombie Guard

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 am

Chris wrote:The plan that Netflix backpedaled on was the whole Qwikster thing, where they planned to seperate their streaming and DVD-by-mail. They had a 60% price increase that summer, and the combined negative feedback forced them to abandon the Qwikster plans. The price increase stayed, though. That was 2011, I believe. So that was the first price increase, and then another last year.

And Netflix seems to be more profitable than ever.

leave a comment with facebook