Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Postby Regulator » Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
IIRC the reason comics aren't in Walmart had to do with a parent (or parents) complaining about occult themes in Spawn. Walmart pulled comics from the stores soon afterward. (You have noticed a lack of Spawn toys at Walmart, haven't you?)

And yes, promotions cost money, and the publishers should be doing more to promote their books outside of the LCS. Feeding off the current pool of readers only works for so long (most Nu52 books are or have already lost the sales bump from the relaunch). Will DC lose its shirt if it creates a display for Book-A-Million to promote the next JMS Superman OGN, or for Superman books in general?

If anything, your argument shows the current system isn't working.

Or it means that there aren't hundreds of thousands of new readers out there to support big box retail stores carrying monthly comics. It's a delusion to think that putting comics in Wal-Mart would increase readership to the levels of decades ago.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

BlueMole wrote:
From what my LCS manager said, there were plenty. Plus a bunch of kids who came with their parents. Plus lapsed readers drawn in by the Avengers. I'll try to get an exact number of how many new pull lists they got out of it, but I remember there were at least five people working on forms when I stopped in.

I just asked my LCS owner this today.. their goal every year is basically just to break even. They said they spend about $5000 on the FCBD books, and then hope that whatever people buy while in store gets them to break even on it all.. and they said this year, most likely because of Avengers, they had their biggest crowd ever and made significant profit on it.

And from what she said, it was a lot of people she had never seen before.. so new readers aplenty.

J.M. Hunter
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: The Beast!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Regulator wrote:
Or it means that there aren't hundreds of thousands of new readers out there to support big box retail stores carrying monthly comics. It's a delusion to think that putting comics in Wal-Mart would increase readership to the levels of decades ago.

I think not shoving it into the magazine would be a good start. Treat that sumbiatch like it's Starbucks or Subway or a florist even. Put the comic/magazine shop into the actual stores. Include a collectible section in the mini-store or corner, add soem gaming stuff, novelty items etc. Sure some parents will think it's the perfect baby sitter for their kids while they shop but then those kids will kick and scream until their parents who were negligent enough to drop them off will buy them something.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
I think not shoving it into the magazine would be a good start. Treat that sumbiatch like it's Starbucks or Subway or a florist even. Put the comic/magazine shop into the actual stores. Include a collectible section in the mini-store or corner, add soem gaming stuff, novelty items etc. Sure some parents will think it's the perfect baby sitter for their kids while they shop but then those kids will kick and scream until their parents who were negligent enough to drop them off will buy them something.

That would probably involve having a LCS rent space in a Walmart to do that. Just selling comics on the magazine isle would be easier.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Regulator wrote:

Like I said, Walmart's refusal to comics has more to do with angry parents than sales.

Sergio Aragones was asked about his relationship with William Gaines, the publisher and co-editor of EC Comics. While Gaines was a close friend, Aragones did not always see eye to eye with him. "In this country, people tend to abuse things that are not regulated. People want to make more money or more of a name," Aragones said. "I realized that this country needed the code to not only control, but self-control.

"Young writers feel a need to put a curse word in every page possible. I find censorship of any kind to be insulting. You have to teach your kids at home. Home is where you teach your kids how things work in the real world. It is not the job of the editors and the writers. It is the job of the parent," Aragones continued. "Because one angry parent buys at K-Mart and decides to stop buying, the magazine goes under because the father saw a tit on the page and his son cannot see tits."

Levitz revealed that this is the primary reason why comics have had such a hard time penetrating different markets. He faced the same resistance numerous times while Publisher of DC, which was disheartening whenever comics were starting to gain traction in the public. He told a story about a grandmother who bought a multi-comic package from Walmart where a "Spawn" comic was hidden behind two more innocent books. She wrote to the CEO of Walmart, who then responded by sending back millions of comics and barred them from the chain for several years.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31767

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

J.M. Hunter
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: The Beast!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 pm

The Nacireman wrote:

That would probably involve having a LCS rent space in a Walmart to do that. Just selling comics on the magazine isle would be easier.

But how effective?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
But how effective?

It'll definitely be more cost-effective. The only things I've seen work like you're talking about in a Walmart were embroidery, photo studios, and hair salons, and I'm not quite sure whether or not those are actually owned by Walmart or not.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Bumping for timliness.

- Sons of the Desert

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 718 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 am

My LCS seems to have no problems bringing people in on FCBD. Maybe if other shops did a better job at promoting the day, they too would have success. Lines of people were wrapped around my LCS for hours on end. The local news station was down there filming the event, there was a big bbq, costume contest, Ghostbusters of NH, Eric Powell and local creators were signing and sketching, etc... Make an event out of it and people will show up.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 623 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 am

I didn't end up making it to any shop today. :(
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 am

I think the reason it fails is because comics are terrible value for money featuring characters 20 years past their sell by date with ridiculous editorial influence unable to tell a story with any meaningful change.

People don't want to read comic books.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun May 05, 2013 3:27 am

"Hey Kids, remember that Iron Man movie you love so much"

"YEAH!"

"Well he's in his own comic"

"YEAH!"

"For 3:99"

"Yeah?"

"Issue number 506"

"Ye"

"In this issue (part 1 of 8) he fights with Deaths Head. A character first used about 30 years ago"

"Oh"

"And get this, nothing that happens in this arc will be relevant in three years, so you can read the same shit forever"

"When's Iron Man 3 on again?"

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 718 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun May 05, 2013 4:37 am

"When's Iron Man 3 on again?"

"That depends on if you want to watch it in 3D or not."

"3D!"

"Let's see at $13.50 a ticket, it will cost the four of us $54.00 for two hours worth of entertainment."

"We want soda"

"I guess we could all get a small one. That will only cost us $20 more."

"What about popcorn?"

"Just another $20."

"My friend told me the Iron Man comic book only has nine issues out. We could get them all for $36 instead of the $100 you would have to spend on the movie."

"But Greg Land sucks"

"Who?"

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 am

Someone deserves a smack for bumping this thread.

All the shops I go to that choose to participate in FCBD have record sales that day rivaling or in some cases exceeding days in the thick of Christmas shopping season, still over half a year away. Smart shops coordinate sales with FCBD to capitalize on it.

But I swear to God, if I have to read one more ill-considered completely vacant utterly braindead op-ed from some old cranky gasbag about how they (obviously) know nothing about retailing or FCBD, but know it's a blahblahblah failure or worse, bad for the industry, then I may have to figure out how to finish this angry sentence!

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun May 05, 2013 6:13 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:"When's Iron Man 3 on again?"

"That depends on if you want to watch it in 3D or not."

"3D!"

"Let's see at $13.50 a ticket, it will cost the four of us $54.00 for two hours worth of entertainment."

"We want soda"

"I guess we could all get a small one. That will only cost us $20 more."

"What about popcorn?"

"Just another $20."

"My friend told me the Iron Man comic book only has nine issues out. We could get them all for $36 instead of the $100 you would have to spend on the movie."

"But Greg Land sucks"

"Who?"

Well yeah if you include the cost of popcorn and soda for four people at a 3D showing then it makes Iron Man comics almost seem sort of a good idea.

None of these readers stick around because the 23 page continuing floppy isn't a good business model.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand