Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 05, 2013 6:25 am

Well, you can see from the numbers and profits pretty clearly whether more people find Iron Man 3 the movie to be a good value for their dollars than see a $4 Iron Man monthly comic book habit to be of good value for their dollars. It's pretty obvious there. Which is what leads some people to call Marvel and DC mere IP farms for more profitable entertainment media.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Someone deserves a smack for bumping this thread.

All the shops I go to that choose to participate in FCBD have record sales that day rivaling or in some cases exceeding days in the thick of Christmas shopping season, still over half a year away. Smart shops coordinate sales with FCBD to capitalize on it.

But I swear to God, if I have to read one more ill-considered completely vacant utterly braindead op-ed from some old cranky gasbag about how they (obviously) know nothing about retailing or FCBD, but know it's a blahblahblah failure or worse, bad for the industry, then I may have to figure out how to finish this angry sentence!

I've never known a shop that isn't busy on Free Comic Book Day. Its great for local businesses as it gets people into their stores browsing and buying. I only went to one store yesterday but even that store (a used book store) was busy as hell. I'm sure if I'd have dropped by any of the other stores they would have been busy. I was just so tired.

Its like Record Store Day. It really is more about celebrating local retailers than celebrating "the industry" or "the medium".

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun May 05, 2013 6:42 am

My local store makes more money on FCBD than any other day of the year, so imagine how well they'd do if the day wasn't such a massive waste of time like Nac says.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 am

Keb wrote:I've never known a shop that isn't busy on Free Comic Book Day. Its great for local businesses as it gets people into their stores browsing and buying. I only went to one store yesterday but even that store (a used book store) was busy as hell. I'm sure if I'd have dropped by any of the other stores they would have been busy. I was just so tired.

Its like Record Store Day. It really is more about celebrating local retailers than celebrating "the industry" or "the medium".

Both record store day and FCBD work for retailers because the incentives to go out to shops are in both cases tailored to suit the markets they want to attract (where, of course, there's some overlap, but there are differences between the two as well).

J.M. Hunter
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Beast!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Sun May 05, 2013 6:59 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I didn't end up making it to any shop today. :(

Ditto. I fucking hate this day.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 839 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 am

Keb wrote:
I've never known a shop that isn't busy on Free Comic Book Day. Its great for local businesses as it gets people into their stores browsing and buying. I only went to one store yesterday but even that store (a used book store) was busy as hell. I'm sure if I'd have dropped by any of the other stores they would have been busy. I was just so tired.

There's one store near me that makes me wonder how they're still in business. Mold, no customer service and it looks like they've been broken into with their "organization". I stopped in last year and the only books they were giving away were stuff like Countdown to Infinite Crisis #1 and Siege #1. They don't do any advertising. Guests have gone to different stores because of their lack of advertising. Their back issue sales did NOT include "Silver Age, Nu52 or Marvel Now books".

And they even had 4 or 5 cars in their parking lot yesterday!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 am

Zero wrote:My local store makes more money on FCBD than any other day of the year, so imagine how well they'd do if the day wasn't such a massive waste of time like Nac says.

And you miss the point of the article. It wasn't about how well FCBD affects sales at comic shops, it about how well FCBD does at attracting new readers to comics who don't go to comic shops in the first place.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 590 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Sun May 05, 2013 8:04 am

My LCS always brings in tons of traffic for FCBD, the problem is the store owner is a moron so they don't make any money. People only come in get the free shit and leave. He has no sales or incentives for anyone to purchase anything else. All the people that normally come in each and every week already buy stuff so they aren't going to go out of their way to buy anything extra on that day that they can get any other day at the same price. Newer customers come in seeing all the goings on and expect there to be some kind of sales or something happening but there's not. He thinks he will make more money by keeping everything at normal price and because there are more people in the store they will buy up the stuff at normal price, uh-uh, shit don't work like that. If he would have just some small incentive of a sale he would make a killing on FCBD but the guys an idiot and so is his wife that runs the shop with him. Most of the employees are completely worthless at this point too. they're the kind of sales person that will tell you they don't have something because they are to lazy to look and see if they actually have any. Then you walk through the store and end up seeing the items you asked about. I so need a new shop to go to.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 am

Tattooed Jesus wrote:My LCS always brings in tons of traffic for FCBD, the problem is the store owner is a moron so they don't make any money. People only come in get the free shit and leave. He has no sales or incentives for anyone to purchase anything else. All the people that normally come in each and every week already buy stuff so they aren't going to go out of their way to buy anything extra on that day that they can get any other day at the same price. Newer customers come in seeing all the goings on and expect there to be some kind of sales or something happening but there's not. He thinks he will make more money by keeping everything at normal price and because there are more people in the store they will buy up the stuff at normal price, uh-uh, shit don't work like that. If he would have just some small incentive of a sale he would make a killing on FCBD but the guys an idiot and so is his wife that runs the shop with him. Most of the employees are completely worthless at this point too. they're the kind of sales person that will tell you they don't have something because they are to lazy to look and see if they actually have any. Then you walk through the store and end up seeing the items you asked about. I so need a new shop to go to.

Sadly, there are some LCS owners that think Neil Gaiman's description of a comic shop in "A Game of You" is a blueprint of how a comic shop should be run.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 am

Juan Cena wrote:
And which doesn't have a store in the state of Georgia, BTW. The closest one to the ATL is in Auburn, Al. (I just checked).

And that's one chain and may have been at just one store, for all I know. Where was BAM or B&N in all of this? If Diamond was willing to push FDCB in Hastings, why didn't it do it for BAM or B&N?

No. I was at a Hastings last week in Arkansas and they were already gearing up for FCBD with flyers throughout the store. Hastings is a really cool store, loved it.

Due to inclement weather here, FCBD was a bust for me. I was going to go to the one down the street from me, but when I got there I found that they had turned completely into a gaming store, which sucks because that was one of the oldest shops in town before it was sold off a couple of years ago. Another store nearby had quite a bit of a crowd, but they were all huddled under a very small awning and the overcrowded food tent. I tried to think of another shop to go to but every name that came across my mind was soon followed by a "...no, they closed a few years ago."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 am

MistaT wrote:

No. I was at a Hastings last week in Arkansas and they were already gearing up for FCBD with flyers throughout the store. Hastings is a really cool store, loved it.

Due to inclement weather here, FCBD was a bust for me. I was going to go to the one down the street from me, but when I got there I found that they had turned completely into a gaming store, which sucks because that was one of the oldest shops in town before it was sold off a couple of years ago. Another store nearby had quite a bit of a crowd, but they were all huddled under a very small awning and the overcrowded food tent. I tried to think of another shop to go to but every name that came across my mind was soon followed by a "...no, they closed a few years ago."

Like I said, that's one chain. And it's one that doesn't have any stores in every city/metro area of the country. And there's not one in the ATL. (I just checked). Or on the East Coast, for that matter.

- Sons of the Desert

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 342 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 05, 2013 9:17 am

"Free Comic Book Day is supposed to bring in new readers".

So is the new DC, the 10 cent Batman issue, the 9 cent FF issue, Heroes Reborn, making changes to books to bring them in line with movies, etc. There's no such thing as these mythical "new readers". They never appear. Might as well worry about attracting sasquatch.

As a retailer, if I'm experiencing Xmas level sales in May because of FCBD, then any suggestion that the event is a failure, quite frankly, show a mind-boggling amount of "no idea how retail works whatsoever" syndrome.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun May 05, 2013 10:13 am

MistaT wrote:Due to inclement weather here, FCBD was a bust for me. I was going to go to the one down the street from me, but when I got there I found that they had turned completely into a gaming store, which sucks because that was one of the oldest shops in town before it was sold off a couple of years ago. Another store nearby had quite a bit of a crowd, but they were all huddled under a very small awning and the overcrowded food tent. I tried to think of another shop to go to but every name that came across my mind was soon followed by a "...no, they closed a few years ago."

Haha, that happened to me when I was in college. My first two years I went to university in the city I grew up. One afternoon I was downtown and I walked into this store that used to be the best local comics store when I was a kid. I looked around, then asked the guy (the same guy that worked there whenI was a kid) if they still sold comics. He was like "no. Down the street.." So I went down the street.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 am

I have a question about FCBD.

I had to miss it yesterday because I was helping a family friend move house. Now, I go to my LCS every week and have done for many years, I already support it a hell of a lot.

So... is it morally wrong for me to illegally download some of the FCBD comics I missed out on? They are free anyway so I'm not stealing anything from Marvel or DC or Image or whoever, and by paying for them on eBay I'm just putting money into the pockets of speculators.

So is it OK?

J.M. Hunter
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Beast!

Postby J.M. Hunter » Sun May 05, 2013 11:25 am

Punchy wrote:I have a question about FCBD.

I had to miss it yesterday because I was helping a family friend move house. Now, I go to my LCS every week and have done for many years, I already support it a hell of a lot.

So... is it morally wrong for me to illegally download some of the FCBD comics I missed out on? They are free anyway so I'm not stealing anything from Marvel or DC or Image or whoever, and by paying for them on eBay I'm just putting money into the pockets of speculators.

So is it OK?

Or you can call them and see if they have any left since you're a loyal customer? If they do they still get you back in the store to browse or potentially shop if something else catches your eye.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand