Saturday, July 23, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "The CBR of comic book journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 05, 2013 11:49 am

J.M. Hunter wrote:

Or you can call them and see if they have any left since you're a loyal customer? If they do they still get you back in the store to browse or potentially shop if something else catches your eye.

They won't have any left, last year I got there at midday and they were all out

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 05, 2013 11:50 am

Punchy wrote:
They won't have any left, last year I got there at midday and they were all out

And that phone call to make sure would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming. :)

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 05, 2013 12:06 pm

One word.

Torrents.

You know it's true.

With them, everyday is free comic book day for folks who choose to go that route. With Tablets it is far easier to read and carry a collection of them.
The publishers have just not adopted a "streaming" model as some fantrans sites have more manga. Yes hard copy comics are more enjoyable but digital
can be had for next to nothing and take up next to no room on a portable tb USB drive... which sell for around 60bucks... add to that no need for shelves
upon shelves in your home.. or the boxes.

You know it's true.

Yes it is sad.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sun May 05, 2013 12:16 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:

Or you can call them and see if they have any left since you're a loyal customer? If they do they still get you back in the store to browse or potentially shop if something else catches your eye.

They have none left. They had none left at lunchtime on Saturday.

Punchy, some of them will be reprinted later (Infinity will likely get included in a trade or a Director's Cut issue) and others are reprints anyway. I see no problem with downloading the few that you like the look of and then going into the shop and buying more comics anyway.

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Sun May 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Victorian Squid wrote::smt102 I saw huge lines in most of the local shops, with brisk business being done at the registers as well. Saw tons of people with their kids getting their faces painted, or posing for pictures with superheroes. And they probably had a better time than if they'd gone to some ghetto Walmart (and I don't care where your Walmart is located, they are all ghetto.)

Looked like a success to me!

Agreed.

I also got some great sketches from Joe Sinnott yesterday.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Zero wrote:
They have none left. They had none left at lunchtime on Saturday.

Punchy, some of them will be reprinted later (Infinity will likely get included in a trade or a Director's Cut issue) and others are reprints anyway. I see no problem with downloading the few that you like the look of and then going into the shop and buying more comics anyway.

I just DLed Infinity... it was kind of rubbish to be honest.

I only really wanted to read that one, the Dark Horse one with the new Gerard Way story and Valiant.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm sure the Gerard Way one will be in the trade, the Umbrella Academy one was.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Lord Simian wrote:"Free Comic Book Day is supposed to bring in new readers".

So is the new DC, the 10 cent Batman issue, the 9 cent FF issue, Heroes Reborn, making changes to books to bring them in line with movies, etc. There's no such thing as these mythical "new readers". They never appear. Might as well worry about attracting sasquatch.

As a retailer, if I'm experiencing Xmas level sales in May because of FCBD, then any suggestion that the event is a failure, quite frankly, show a mind-boggling amount of "no idea how retail works whatsoever" syndrome.

It's what hasn't been done that's hurting comics: Getting them (back) into the places that non-comic readers actually shop. That's the Walmarts and the Targets and the grocery stores.

And doing more in the bookstores like getting creators do signings at Barnes and Noble or Books-A-Million. Or getting B&N and BAM on board fro FCBD. Marvel ought to have Ellis doing signings for the Avengers OGN at least at a B&N in NYC or LA. Of DC getting to do the same with Willingham when the next Fables collection comes out.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Zero wrote:I'm sure the Gerard Way one will be in the trade, the Umbrella Academy one was.

Yeah.

I have a copy of that first Umbrella Academy short story somewhere.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just DLed Infinity... it was kind of rubbish to be honest.

I only really wanted to read that one, the Dark Horse one with the new Gerard Way story and Valiant.

I saw a few of the minor ones on Comixology.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It's what hasn't been done that's hurting comics: Getting them (back) into the places that non-comic readers actually shop. That's the Walmarts and the Targets and the grocery stores.

And doing more in the bookstores like getting creators do signings at Barnes and Noble or Books-A-Million. Or getting B&N and BAM on board fro FCBD. Marvel ought to have Ellis doing signings for the Avengers OGN at least at a B&N in NYC or LA. Of DC getting to do the same with Willingham when the next Fables collection comes out.

FCBD was created by a comic retailer. Despite whatever happy tales retailers and publishers tell about "introducing new readers", etc... the point of FCBD is to do exactly what it does: Increase sales in those retailers. THAT'S the sole purpose. Anything else is snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

B&N, BAM, etc... they don't care about raising comic sales. That's a piddling market for them. Graphic novels and TPB's are a burgeoning market, sure, but FCBD doesn't give away free trades.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
FCBD was created by a comic retailer. Despite whatever happy tales retailers and publishers tell about "introducing new readers", etc... the point of FCBD is to do exactly what it does: Increase sales in those retailers. THAT'S the sole purpose. Anything else is snips and snails and puppy dog tails.

B&N, BAM, etc... they don't care about raising comic sales. That's a piddling market for them. Graphic novels and TPB's are a burgeoning market, sure, but FCBD doesn't give away free trades.

True, but DC or Marvel could put out a FCBD comic with Batman or Spider-Man, with an ad for trades on the back.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun May 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm pretty sure FCBD is there not only to increase sales for Marvel and DC, but also to increase sales for the comic stores. Which it does. In fact the original idea came from a comic store owner.

This is like complaining that 'Indie Record Store Day' or whatever it was that happened last month is a failure because it doesn't take place at HMV or Target. FCBD is to help keep the comics retail industry afloat, not put more money into Barnes & Noble.

That's the problem. The industry is struggling to keep afloat when it should be focusing on getting more readers. We need new readers, and if you need Target or B&N to promote comics then do it.

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Arion wrote:
That's the problem. The industry is struggling to keep afloat when it should be focusing on getting more readers. We need new readers, and if you need Target or B&N to promote comics then do it.

So the publishers should get together on a separate day to get people into big box stores if that's what they want. This isn't rocket science.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Regulator wrote:
So the publishers should get together on a separate day to get people into big box stores if that's what they want. This isn't rocket science.

It'd be easier to just do it on FCBD.

leave a comment with facebook