Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Re: Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Postby LobsterJ » Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 pm

The new reader problem has to do with the product itself not accessibility to the product.

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Regulator wrote:
So the publishers should get together on a separate day to get people into big box stores if that's what they want. This isn't rocket science.

I think they're too proud to admit they need to do it.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 06, 2013 3:08 pm

LobsterJ wrote:The new reader problem has to do with the product itself not accessibility to the product.

Don't think accessibility is a problem? Try being a comic fan in an area where the nearest comic shop is 30 minutes to an hour away.

For example, Gainesville Ga.(which is in the northernmost part of the about 30-county metro ATL area) doesn't have a comic shop (at least It didn't last time I checked). The closest one that I know of is in Buford , which is about 20 minutes away. Luckily for G'ville, there's a Books-A-Million, which does sell comics. But the selection is kind of limited to the best sellers of Marvel and DC, and the more popular independents. Most of North Georgia isn't so lucky.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Arion wrote:

I don't think it's pride as much as just being so dependent on the LCS for so long that it began to ignore the need for mainstream outlets.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Arion wrote:

The problem is that FCBD is really at cross-purposes with getting new readers on a large scale. Digital is the future and pushing more digital content at lower prices is going to be more sustainable than a $4 printed comic that takes you 5 minutes to read.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Regulator wrote:
The problem is that FCBD is really at cross-purposes with getting new readers on a large scale. Digital is the future and pushing more digital content at lower prices is going to be more sustainable than a $4 printed comic that takes you 5 minutes to read.

The prices on Comixology for new comics now are still pretty close to cover price. You've got to wait a few months for the price to go down to at least $1.99.

- Sons of the Desert

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 am

Juan Cena wrote:

The prices on Comixology for new comics now are still pretty close to cover price. You've got to wait a few months for the price to go down to at least $1.99.

I still think 1.99 is too much for a digital comic. Why, I can probably find back issues for 1.70 or 1.30 in MyComicShop. And let's not talk about quarter bins.

Regulator wrote:

I think, in that way, Marvel giving away 700 digital issues is a good idea. Poorly executed, though. And not just because Comixology crashed but because only pre-existing comic fans found out about it. So again they won't get new readers out of it...

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I went by a store on Saturday evening (about 6:00) and they had Superman & The Walking Dead left. They said they gave away 10,000 comics earlier that day - apparently they had a FCBD event from 10:00 - 2:00.

Are new readers getting in on the comics scene or has it become a widely known day for moochers?
-

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 pm

outsider wrote:I went by a store on Saturday evening (about 6:00) and they had Superman & The Walking Dead left. They said they gave away 10,000 comics earlier that day - apparently they had a FCBD event from 10:00 - 2:00.

Are new readers getting in on the comics scene or has it become a widely known day for moochers?

The problem is that a lot of fanboys out there consider FCBD books as rare collectibles, and they try to grab as many of them as possible.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Arion wrote:
The problem is that a lot of fanboys out there consider FCBD books as rare collectibles, and they try to grab as many of them as possible.
I figured by 6:00 that they would be out of some of the smaller-print issues, but the free Marvel comic? That's just nutty.
-

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Tue May 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Arion wrote:I still think 1.99 is too much for a digital comic. Why, I can probably find back issues for 1.70 or 1.30 in MyComicShop. And let's not talk about quarter bins

$1.99 is about the max I'm willing to pay when I switch over completely to digital, but so far I have always waited for $.99 sales (or less) to get digital things unless I really want to finish a storyline where I missed the printed comic.

Also, DC and Valiant only take about a month for the price to drop on Comixology. Marvel is the one that takes a long ass time.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Arion wrote:
I still think 1.99 is too much for a digital comic. Why, I can probably find back issues for 1.70 or 1.30 in MyComicShop. And let's not talk about quarter bins.

I think, in that way, Marvel giving away 700 digital issues is a good idea. Poorly executed, though. And not just because Comixology crashed but because only pre-existing comic fans found out about it. So again they won't get new readers out of it...

This. How many non-comic readers know that Comixology know that it even exists?

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Arion wrote:

This again. FCBD isn't attracting either new readers to comics or new customers to comic shops. It's just being used to attract new readers from the current base of comic readers.

- Sons of the Desert

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
This. How many non-comic readers know that Comixology know that it even exists?

The initiative was good, but more people needed to find out about it.

Juan Cena wrote:
This again. FCBD isn't attracting either new readers to comics or new customers to comic shops. It's just being used to attract new readers from the current base of comic readers.

Which is a problem. FCBD could be the perfect opportunity to get new people interested.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 am

Arion wrote:
The initiative was good, but more people needed to find out about it.

Which is a problem. FCBD could be the perfect opportunity to get new people interested.

Which goes back to the need to expand it outside of the comic shops. Comic books need to try to regain the mainstream retail space that was lost in the 80's and 90's.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand