Advertisement

Why Hasn't Tom Scioli Found a Publisher Yet?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

The Godland artist has had difficulty finding a publisher for his latest work.

Source: Twitter

Has Tom Scioli quit comics?  That's what his Twitter followers are wondering.  Scioli, whose past work includes Godland and American Barbarian, has had difficulty finding a publisher for his latest work, Satan's Soldier and Mystery Object.  Scioli's been publishing both comics on his website, and he's begun submitting both series to publishers, only to be met with rejection by at least a few publishers.  Things reached a fever pitch this evening, when Scioli suddenly announced that he was quitting comics and deleted his Twitter account a few moments later.

So why does this matter?  Well, Scioli's not exactly an unknown quantity.  He's a Xeric Grant winner, his work has been nominated for Eisners, and his art is deliberately reminiscent of Jack Kirby's.  This also isn't the first time he's approached publishers to collect his webcomics.  American Barbarian was published at his website before being collected in a gorgeous hardcover by Adhouse.  His work's also damn good, especially if you're a fan of trippy comics that are simultaneously call back to the Silver Age of Comics while remaining on the cutting edge of comtemporary alternative comics. 

Now, I don't know much about the comic industry and small press stuff, but I do know that Tom Scioli's stuff is fantastic stuff. And hopefully this will all blow over, and we'll have more gorgeous Tom Scioli hardcovers gracing our shelves soon.  In the meantime, if you haven't read Scioli's work before, check out his website, where both Satan's Soldier and Mystery Object are currently hosted in their entirety.  If you're a publisher and you haven't sent him a contract yet, make the man an offer or we'll make a cruel and petty website devoted to mocking you on a daily basis.  We've done it before and we're not afraid to do it again.  

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1181 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Why Hasn't Tom Scioli Found a Publisher Yet?

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 pm

:smt102

He touches himself at night?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

:-(

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 pm

I notice both those webcomics are stylistically very different from Godland, American Barbarian, or any of the other Scioli books I have. Much looser and sketchier, designed more for the screen than they page IMO

So I wonder if that has anything to do with his problem? Keeping in mind two things, 1) that the publishing industry isn't always eager to bear much risk these days, and 2) even established artists and writers can face a lot of skepticism when they make a shift like that.

An artist working on a solo webcomic follows their own vision without much restraint, but what happens when the result is less commercial? I'm own several books with art by Scioli and have recommended them to others, but having now read the bulk of both webcomics I have to say they do not feel as substantial as Scioli's other work. They feel more like explorations than finished narratives.

I don't mean to say they aren't worthy of publication, just that I would see them as more of a risk as well. That being said, I'm sure he'd smash through a kickstarter campaign.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Obama!!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand