Friday, May 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "30 charges and no convictions."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Why Superman Needs His Red Shorts Back

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am

MrBlack wrote:The boots/jeans/t-shirt look makes him seem very working class. The cape is a bit awkward, but I think that's the point; he just seems like a normal guy who has opted to become a superhero. I love that look for what it was used for (Superman as a working class hero), but I do think that something more "official" looking was necessary as Superman became a fully recognized hero.


Take out the "Supes as Working Class Hero" thing where Supes goes after "The Man" trying to keep down "The Little Man," which even Morrison has barely touches, and the jeans and t-shirt look even more out of place.

I don't mind the new costume, but I miss the yellow belt. I liked how that and the red trunks broke up the field of blue that made up the majority of the costume. I'm willing to admit that the trunks look a little ridiculous in this day and age (sorry Nac, but baggy basketeball shorts do not equal skintight trunks), but I think there has to be a better solution than the red belt.


It's as close as a modern-day real world version as you're probably going to get.

And I think it would be real hard to find a replacement for the red shorts that would really work for Supes' costume without it looking like the other blue costumes out there. I doubt making the pants red would help either.
User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am

Punchy wrote:I think he should be wearing the jeans and t-shirt look in every title.


I agree with Punchy.

I also agree with Black that he needs something other than the red belt to break up the blue. If we have to have the armor costume, I'm in favor of bringing back the yellow belt.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 am

mrorangesoda wrote:
I agree with Punchy.

I also agree with Black that he needs something other than the red belt to break up the blue. If we have to have the armor costume, I'm in favor of bringing back the yellow belt.



Like a little yellow belt instead of a little red belt would do any good. :roll:
User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am

The Nacireman wrote:

Like a little yellow belt instead of a little red belt would do any good. :roll:


It would do more to break up the blue since it doesn't blend in with the cape.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

mrorangesoda wrote:
It would do more to break up the blue since it doesn't blend in with the cape.


Coloring the current belt yellow by itself would probably take away from the costume more than it would add to it. It wasn't that interesting in the first place. The yellow belt on the old costume only worked because it complemented the red shorts.

Besides, it would make the costume start to looking a little too much like Marvelman's uni.

Image
User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

The Nacireman wrote:The yellow belt on the old costume only worked because it complemented the red shorts.


It ties into the shield as well- the new costume is out of balance. On the old, you had a yellow accent for each red piece (shield, cape, and shorts), on the new there's only one. A yellow belt would bring that balance back.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

mrorangesoda wrote:
It ties into the shield as well- the new costume is out of balance. On the old, you had a yellow accent for each red piece (shield, cape, and shorts), on the new there's only one. A yellow belt would bring that balance back.



It would have to be more than color though. The K-armor belt needs to be seriously distinctive, and just not a belt with a mini shield on it,
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:58 am

The Nacireman wrote:

It would have to be more than color though. The K-armor belt needs to be seriously distinctive, and just not a belt with a mini shield on it,


Needs to have a codpiece or something, IMO.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 pm

BlueMole wrote:
Needs to have a codpiece or something, IMO.


Like Supergirl's :twisted:

Image
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I love how this entire thing was an op-ed piece, with Nacireman giving his opinion on what the suit needs, but if anyone else expresses their own opinion, he shoots them down immediately. "No. Only my opinion can be right."

You sure you don't think like a British Teen, Nac? :twisted:

I keed, I keed!
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

MrBlack wrote:I don't mind the new costume, but I miss the yellow belt. I liked how that and the red trunks broke up the field of blue that made up the majority of the costume. I'm willing to admit that the trunks look a little ridiculous in this day and age (sorry Nac, but baggy basketeball shorts do not equal skintight trunks), but I think there has to be a better solution than the red belt.


Image

I think the E2 Supes belt is a nice compromise.
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 pm

:smt102 I like the lack of red shorts myself. Superman's look has always been a bit corny, glad they tried to get away from it.
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm

For the record, I liked the red shorts and the yellow belt. The only change to the classic suit I ever liked, actually, was the "Kingdom Come" look they introduced after "Our Worlds At War", where they replaced the yellow in the S-shield with black...
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 pm

xaraan wrote::smt102 I like the lack of red shorts myself. Superman's look has always been a bit corny, glad they tried to get away from it.


Agreed, the panties are too an easy mark for detractors.

Also NBA players are clowns and Tybow is a fucking GOOF so what they wear is irrelevant.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Image

I think the E2 Supes belt is a nice compromise.[/quote]

I think the Earth-2 costume is by far the better design. Looks like Superman to me, whereas the Kryptonian armour doesn't. Dropped all Superman & League titles as I don't like the new characterisation, let alone the designs, of DC's major heroes.
Earth-2 has done it best.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, Google [Bot] and 109 guests