Advertisement

Why you lean towards it

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:26 am

Jeff wrote:I can't say I prefer one company over the other but I do have a special affection for DC, for completely irrational reasons. When I was a kid we used to get Marvel Comics in the Diary (drugstore) directly from the States, but with DC they were always funneled through some publishing house in Australia and all we got were crappy black and white reprints. Occasionally we got colour UK versions but they were a rarity. Then, about the time of 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' we started getting the real deal from DC, full colour direct from the States comics. It seemed so wonderful, and such a novelty. To this day there is a part of me that still feels that way about DC, despite that fact that they screwed us over with those god-awful reprints for all those years!

Funny, but its the opposite for me in as much as when I was a kid it was hard to find Marvel comics at newsagents in the UK. You could always get DC stuff (albeit three months late), but not Marvel: and especially not Spider-Man stuff. I remember how excited I was to get subscriptions to certain un-findable Marvel books (the Spidey titles, GI Joe and Star Wars)!

Advertisement

Jeff
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:38 am

nietoperz wrote:Funny, but its the opposite for me in as much as when I was a kid it was hard to find Marvel comics at newsagents in the UK. You could always get DC stuff (albeit three months late), but not Marvel: and especially not Spider-Man stuff. I remember how excited I was to get subscriptions to certain un-findable Marvel books (the Spidey titles, GI Joe and Star Wars)!
The advent of mail-order comic services was a godsend for me. I still remember the thrill of being able to get 'The Watchmen' mere weeks after its US release. Now, it is just a matter of a few days wait and my favorite books are delivered direct to my file at my LCS (but they are a hell of a lot more expensive!). Damn. I really am getting old.
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 am

I wish I could explain why I like DC over Marvel. I started out with DC, reading Batman and Superman comics as a kid. Maybe it's their iconic status that keeps me loyal to them. Spider-Man and the X-Men don't have that. I watched their cartoons as a kid, as I did with Batman and Superman, but they weren't on the same level.

It's not to say I won't enjoy a Marvel comic, as I have a number of them since I started collecting them 8 years ago (when I began undergrad and had unlimited access to 2 comic shops across the street from campus). Recent drastic and unnecessary (IMO) changes to the characters (organic web-shooters was a cool idea, though, while the whole Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn thing wasn't...and the beginning of JMS' run on Amazing Spider-Man was good) and incredible delays on titles with no accountability sapped my interest in Marvel. Quesada seems more interested in sales than quality and is going to the summer blockbuster route with stories - produce something with a lot of bang and flash to keep readers buying more and more.

Something DC and Marvel are doing that really loses my interest is the universe-wide crossovers. I've no confidence that I could pick up a DC comic and know what is going on, save for Batman (though this RIP stuff doesn't seem to be something I want to read, as it may change the foundations of Batman, which I have no interest in reading) and All Star Superman (being outside the DCU).

If I had much discretionary income to work with, cool. But I'm not going to drop $2.99/$3.99 on a book anymore for 22 pages. The prices of Marvel TPBs suck, too, and I've never bought one for that reason.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Trade prices were really decent for a while for Marvel AND DC. But they've started going up again recently. Perhaps a consequence of rising gas prices and shipping. I've only seen this affect hardbacks so far. Ones that were $20 are now $24.99.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 371 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I've mostly read Marvel over time and I just prefer the Marvel Universe. I'm not sure why and its not like I hate DC, I get plenty from them as well.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Dugan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

I grew up on the Marvel 90's cartoons, the comics were more readily available through Pannini's CE reprints and were the first i collected long-term. Starting with Spider-man and then getting some of the other CE's- MWOM thaks to the Defenders, X-men thanks to Whedon, Fantastic Four- Waid and Wieringo and the Ultimate U thanks to Millar.

Then i got into american floppies and really into the hobby after seeing Spidey unmask in the papers and buying Civil War because of it which totally pulled me in and got me buying all sorts of things.

DC comics have just never grabbed me as particularly interesting, SCW was good but i only grew attached to Guy Gardner so i'm continuing GLC because of him and the good writing and GL because it's leading up to blackest night and the good art (though i find the stories since SCW pretty dull). Then Booster Gold was a surprising addition which really impressed me with the first few issues but has gotten steadily less interesting imo and DCU 0 and FC 1 did nothing for me. Actually New Frontier which i bought recently was very good i'd by more DC books if their universe was like that.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 87 posts

Postby misac » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I lean towards Marvel because it's what got me into comics.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Zenguru wrote:Trade prices were really decent for a while for Marvel AND DC. But they've started going up again recently. Perhaps a consequence of rising gas prices and shipping. I've only seen this affect hardbacks so far. Ones that were $20 are now $24.99.

while DC seems to have taken a $24.99 across the board approach... it seems to have to do with length at Marvel... the new Iron Man Hardcover was 24.99 but had 2 more single issues and the annual in it then #1 did. 4.99 for 8.87 worth of comics doesn't seem that bad. Hedge Knight II and Marvel Zombies 2 had that 5-6 comic run in them and retained the 19.99 price tag.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:29 pm

Just wondering but is there anybody on here who originally got into DC and is a die-hard Marvel Zombie now or vice versa?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:43 pm

john lewis wrote:Just wondering but is there anybody on here who originally got into DC and is a die-hard Marvel Zombie now or vice versa?

I am now and always was a bit of both.
I started out reading Spider-Man and Batman. I still read (and collect-- I no longer collect everything I read, a lot gets traded in or sold or given away -- trades I like to donate to the library) both.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am now and always was a bit of both.
I started out reading Spider-Man and Batman. I still read (and collect-- I no longer collect everything I read, a lot gets traded in or sold or given away -- trades I like to donate to the library) both.
I got into Marvel first and, for the times I've enjoyed comics, enjoyed Marvel more so I've always thought that plays a role subconsciously in everyone.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:46 pm

john lewis wrote:Just wondering but is there anybody on here who originally got into DC and is a die-hard Marvel Zombie now or vice versa?
I'd say I was a Marvel Zombie in the 90's. Just before Image came out. Hardcore. I bought EVerything Marvel did back then.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand