Advertisement

Why you lean towards it

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Why you lean towards it

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:13 pm

So I was really wondering why people feel the way they do about Marvel or DC. I knokw we have some here that enjoy the one company over the other, and I understand the these feelings can change at the drop of an Editor.

But I would love to hear some honest feelings about why you like Marvel over DC, and/or vice versa.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:37 pm

I am a DC man, but as anyone who has seen my pull list knows, I am not exclusive.
I dig DC for many reasons... Batman is an important one. But even more so, it is the shared Universe, while both companies have their fair share of continuity problems, DC feels like everything happens together and effects every thing else. What effect is Secret Invasion having on the X-Men? Plus the DC universe seems to be a darker more adult place and I dig that as well.

Don't get me wrong though, I feel that Marvel is the best it has ever been right now. There have never been as many Marvel titles that I was interested in as right now.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:52 pm

I used to love them both equally (though First was always #1 to me). Marvel just lost a lot of its lustre to me over the years, and now has a bunch of writers whom I find unreadable.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:03 pm

I buy both Marvel and DC. These days, I lean more towards DC. Even though Marvel is killing DC in sales, I find DC to be more "fun" to read. DC writers & artists are enjoying their work and putting out great stuff for the benefit of all us readers.

Marvel has seemingly written DC off as competition and is "competing" with itself by plugging multiple company crossovers. X-Men, Hulk, Spider-Man...it's just wearing me down. I'm actually starting to dislike characters I've loved since I was a kid.

Plus, Marvel seems to be more concerned with getting great names attached to books than with putting out great stories. It's almost like they're pointing and laughing at DC and saying "Look at how many TV & movie producers we have writing comics! What do YOU have?"

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:39 pm

I like DC because it has Vertigo. Vertigo is the best thing to happen to comics in a very long time. I dislike superheroes mostly. I find that DC puts too much emphasis on the hero and how he saves the world. I find things are too black and white good and evil at DC. I think Marvel trumps this, they do an excellent job of writing that Watchmen-esque story, which I enjoy. I could never see DC doing something like Bendis's DD run. I like the idea of the hero as a human amongst other humans, and I think Marvel does that better. Of course, Marvel is so contained within that genre, and the way they try to compete with DC is kind of disgusting, so I tend to avoid both nowadays.
SHABBA!

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Keb wrote:I like DC because it has Vertigo. Vertigo is the best thing to happen to comics in a very long time. I dislike superheroes mostly. I find that DC puts too much emphasis on the hero and how he saves the world. I find things are too black and white good and evil at DC. I think Marvel trumps this, they do an excellent job of writing that Watchmen-esque story, which I enjoy. I could never see DC doing something like Bendis's DD run. I like the idea of the hero as a human amongst other humans, and I think Marvel does that better. Of course, Marvel is so contained within that genre, and the way they try to compete with DC is kind of disgusting, so I tend to avoid both nowadays.
Joe Quesada's attitude has turned me off much of Marvel. I realize he's excited about comics and wants them to thrive. But it seems he only wants this to happen on a king of the hill basis. "Knock me down! I dare ya!" It was cute at first, but now it's old. Joe Q needs to grow up a bit.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Marvel's what got me into comics originally, but I find their current output to be drowning in feux grittiness and a bit of narcissistic realism. I don't feel the charm I used to with books like X-Men and Spider-Man (even though those titles are well-written, what they had to do to get there--No More Mutants and OMD--wasn't worth it IMO). There are times when I wish the Marvel heroes would be heroes with no caveats.

DC, while it has it's own share of problems, seems to be closer to what I want from a superhero universe. You get big heroes, big villians, mythology, parallel universes, super-intelligent monkeys, and kids trying to live up to impossible legacies but not losing their sanity in the process. That's why I'm a DC guy.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:21 pm

I like DC because I think they have more variety overall with their characters and stories. However, I feel that lately, they haven't been trying as hard especially with their main universe stuff. Anybody can come up with a Superman vs. Luthor story but there actually needs to be some work and thought behind it.

I like Marvel more as even though it feels like they're just doing whatever they feel like, in most cases (specifically the X-Men and Captain America), it's working. Their biggest miss to me is Spidey right now as One More Day was stupid (I really wish I could use a more thought out well to say it) and Brand New Day doesn't feel all that new, interesting, or important.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:12 pm

I used to be both but I definetly lean towards Marvel now, even with all of Quesada's stupid decisions. I'm specifically a TEAM guy - I refuse to pick up ANY single character title - Spidey, Bats, Supes, Cap, etc. I used to LOVE the JLA and the X-Men. Now I barely like the X-Men and I don't care for the newest incarnation of the JL. That's probably why, along with the lack of budget for comics, I don't hit the comic store but once a month anymore - mainly for the Secret Invasion and it's Avengers tie-ins.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:31 pm

I originally leaned more towards DC, than Marvel, than DC. I really like both equally, but I'm probably more a DC fan. I do love me some Fables.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Marvel has traditionally been better with the team dynamic. They have more well-known teams than DC. There's Avengers, Fantastic Four, Defenders, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, New Mutants, X-Men, The Order, and I could go on and on.

DC has mainly Legion, Titans, JLA, and JSA. Probably just as many team titles as Marvel, but I definitely cannot name as many off the top of my head. Oh there's Outsiders, Shadowpact, Infinity Inc. and so on. But other than the top four I previously mentioned, none of them have made a very splash in the collective fan consciousness.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 pm

Keb wrote:I like DC because it has Vertigo. Vertigo is the best thing to happen to comics in a very long time. I dislike superheroes mostly. I find that DC puts too much emphasis on the hero and how he saves the world. I find things are too black and white good and evil at DC. I think Marvel trumps this, they do an excellent job of writing that Watchmen-esque story, which I enjoy. I could never see DC doing something like Bendis's DD run. I like the idea of the hero as a human amongst other humans, and I think Marvel does that better. Of course, Marvel is so contained within that genre, and the way they try to compete with DC is kind of disgusting, so I tend to avoid both nowadays.

This is largely my opinion.

I do like Batman though, because he's a lot like a Marvel character when you take him out of the Justice League.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 am

I'm a Marvel guy. Always have been, always will. Marvel were the books I started reading as a kid. It started with G.I.Joe, then Spidey and then X-Men etc. I have always like Green Lantern, Hal the most, Flash and Batman. To me, the Marvel heroes have always been more relatable and their universe feels more "real".

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:19 am

with the exception of GL and booster gold i dont actually like many DC books that dont happen within the 'DC universe'. when it comes to that i'd honestly take the MU over the DCU any day right now. vertigo is a whole different breed however, maybe if marvel put that much emphasis into the MAX and icon line's they might even win out on that front too.

Jeff
Post Whore

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:23 am

I can't say I prefer one company over the other but I do have a special affection for DC, for completely irrational reasons. When I was a kid we used to get Marvel Comics in the Diary (drugstore) directly from the States, but with DC they were always funneled through some publishing house in Australia and all we got were crappy black and white reprints. Occasionally we got colour UK versions but they were a rarity. Then, about the time of 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' we started getting the real deal from DC, full colour direct from the States comics. It seemed so wonderful, and such a novelty. To this day there is a part of me that still feels that way about DC, despite the fact that they screwed us over with those god-awful reprints for all those years!
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand