Tuesday, January 22, 2019 • Afternoon Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Wildstorm Appreciation Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

Like many of the other appreciation threads I created, I decided to make one of one of my favorite imprints aka the Wildstorm Universe.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:38 pm

The perfect word to define WildStorm is 'erratic'. They have certainly published some really good material, and also a bunch of complete crap. I think that incorporating WildStorm properties into the DC universe was certainly detrimental to their characters.

I recently read an omnibus edition of Ed Brubaker's Sleeper. Very entertaining. This is the kind of material that reveals the true potential of WildStorm.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

I think the best thing I can say about Jim Lee and Wildstorm vs his other Image partners was he was probably the most aware of his abilities.

The dude knows how to draw but maybe not the best writer out there. So he knew he need a co-writer. Granted his picks weren't always great(looking at you Brandon Choi).

However Lee did eventually get a bunch of really good writers like Moore, Ellis, Brubaker, Casey etc etc to polish his stuff. I actually really liked a lot of Lee's ideas but it took better writers to flesh them out.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Spacedog wrote:The perfect word to define WildStorm is 'erratic'. They have certainly published some really good material, and also a bunch of complete crap. I think that incorporating WildStorm properties into the DC universe was certainly detrimental to their characters.

I recently read an omnibus edition of Ed Brubaker's Sleeper. Very entertaining. This is the kind of material that reveals the true potential of WildStorm.

I didn't mind Wildstorm being a part of DC as I liked the contrast they had in regards to the DC heroes. However when Lee cancelled the imprint and merged them with the New 52 then it went down the toilet. Putting the WS characters with the DC ones was one of the main things I hated about the New 52 personally.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I think the best thing I can say about Jim Lee and Wildstorm vs his other Image partners was he was probably the most aware of his abilities.

The dude knows how to draw but maybe not the best writer out there. So he knew he need a co-writer. Granted his picks weren't always great(looking at you Brandon Choi).

However Lee did eventually get a bunch of really good writers like Moore, Ellis, Brubaker, Casey etc etc to polish his stuff. I actually really liked a lot of Lee's ideas but it took better writers to flesh them out.

Some people within the comics industry say that Jim Lee is way better at doing business than he is at drawing. I think there's a grain of truth in this. He certainly seems to have scored a very good deal with DC.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Draco x wrote:
I didn't mind Wildstorm being a part of DC as I liked the contrast they had in regards to the DC heroes. However when Lee cancelled the imprint and merged them with the New 52 then it went down the toilet. Putting the WS characters with the DC ones was one of the main things I hated about the New 52 personally.

WildStorm characters have taken a back seat to DC's characters in the New 52 merger. Some good stories aside, I think it was badly managed.

The funny thing is, it had potential. I'm pretty sure that a "no-holds-barred" Batman & Midnighter team-up could have been awesome. They look similar but are completely different on many aspects.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I think the best thing I can say about Jim Lee and Wildstorm vs his other Image partners was he was probably the most aware of his abilities.

I disagree that Jim Lee was the most aware of his abilities. The actual Image founder who has gotten the best work out of other writers on his properties is actually Rob Liefeld. I love Ellis' work on Authority and quite enjoyed his work on Stormwatch, but it is nowhere near as good as Brandon Graham's run on Prophet or Alan Moore's work on Supreme (even if the artist choices were all over the place). Even BloodStrike by Tim Seeley and Supreme Blue Rose by Ellis were very interesting.

Having said all that I will almost certainly try Ellis' new run Wildstorm once the first tpb comes out. I do have a soft spot for all the Wildstorm characters, purely because of Ellis. I'm also curious to see what Ellis does with Henry Bendix this time. Turning him into a villain the first time around was quite the big twist.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 pm

DJ Convoy

cheese

Postby DJ Convoy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Spacedog nailed it; there's some excellent stuff:

Point Blank / Sleeper
Planetary
Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
The Intimates (no one ever mentions this book, and I love it to death)
Joe Casey Wildcats and Wildcats 3.0
Stormwatch Post Human Division
Adam Warren's run on Gen 13

Then, there's an awful lot of drek. One of the problems with Wildstorm, to me, was that there were neat concepts (Stormwatch, for example) that were often poorly executed. A lot of it probably stems from the too much, too soon expansion that the company went under... quick... find everyone that can draw like Jim Lee and crank out fifty books! I dunno... make, like WildC.A.T.S a decent read before expanding, huh?

They also had a bad habit of running things into the ground, such as the Authority.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Surprised Draco didn't mention the relaunch. I really liked the first issue!

This was also a really good read!

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 pm

HNutz wrote:Surprised Draco didn't mention the relaunch. I really liked the first issue!

This was also a really good read!

I was actually planning on getting around to mentioning the relaunch but I haven't read the first issue yet.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm

I just read the first issue online and it was pretty decent. I am guessing this is going to lead to the Wildcats and hopefully the Daemonites showing up after Cray failed to kill Marlowe in this issue.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 am

Draco x wrote:I just read the first issue online and it was pretty decent. I am guessing this is going to lead to the Wildcats and hopefully the Daemonites showing up after Cray failed to kill Marlowe in this issue.

Just thinking out loud, what might be fun would be to play Stormwatch, the Authority, IO and Halo off against each other in a giant superspy type story. No real good guys, they all do some good stuff and some bad stuff.

Draco x

Not a Kardashian

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 am

leave a comment with facebook