Advertisement

Wolverine and the X-men #37 (Battle of the Atom #9)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Wolverine and the X-men #37 (Battle of the Atom #9)

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

An uptick issue leading to the finale. This series shouldn't have been 10 issues it's dragged for the last 2-3. This issue has it's highlights and wtf time travel moments…Storm's a mother. Wolverine realizing he's had a kid with Mystique, "I'm never having sex again." Quentin Quire asking when he gets out of the school. But it all leads to Cape Citadel the place it all started where Xoobies is teaching the past/present/future X-men that the future is terrible because she's going to launch all of shields missiles at the base and the various time traveled X-men….so the future is terrible because Jean was plucked from the past, brought to the present, unable to go back to the past so she grows up to become Xoobies so she can go back to the past to missile everyone to show them how bad the future is? Yeah that doesn't at all make sense. I still look forward to the conclusion but they're definitely running close to tanking this series.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Wolverine and the X-men #37 (Battle of the Atom #9)

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:42 am

This is probably my favorite X-crossover of the decade.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 am

Chris wrote:This is probably my favorite X-crossover of the decade.

Having done my best to stay away from X-overs this has been a great series and rather than focus on the team that the book is in its just been a nice cohesive constantly progressing story. It's being done well.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:31 pm

And can someone remind me, that is Mystique as Dazzler still right?

- Les Paul

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:And can someone remind me, that is Mystique as Dazzler still right?

i believe so

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1497 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 pm

As much as I have enjoyed Battle of the Atom so far, this was probably my least favorite issues so far. That's really disappointing for me because I wouldn't have expected one of Aaron's issues to have been so lackluster.

There's so much going on right now, with the future Brotherhood abducting the original X-Men, the future X-Men attempting to prevent the current X-Men from discovering too much about their own future, they mystery of why the original X-Men couldn't travel back to their own time period, and everything else that's going on right now. Yet, suddenly there is still enough time for posturing from Wolverine's X-Men towards Scott's X-Men. Then, on top of all that, Xoobie's logic in this issue is just mind numbingly awful. You're going to convince the past X-Men that you are correct by controlling S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarriers to open fire on all of the X-Men?! What? :smt017
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Grayson wrote:As much as I have enjoyed Battle of the Atom so far, this was probably my least favorite issues so far. That's really disappointing for me because I wouldn't have expected one of Aaron's issues to have been so lackluster.

There's so much going on right now, with the future Brotherhood abducting the original X-Men, the future X-Men attempting to prevent the current X-Men from discovering too much about their own future, they mystery of why the original X-Men couldn't travel back to their own time period, and everything else that's going on right now. Yet, suddenly there is still enough time for posturing from Wolverine's X-Men towards Scott's X-Men. Then, on top of all that, Xoobie's logic in this issue is just mind numbingly awful. You're going to convince the past X-Men that you are correct by controlling S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarriers to open fire on all of the X-Men?! What? :smt017

Thank you.

And yeah I don't fully understand that at all….it's just mostly messed up. I really think 2-3, maybe 4 less issues and this would have been a great story arc. Instead it's a good crossover which well lets face it. The bar for crossovers is very very, low.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm

This is the penultimate chapter of ‘Battle Of The Atom’, and it pretty much does what penultimate issues are supposed to do, and that’s set up the big finale with a doozy of a cliffhanger.
The issue opens inside of Cyclops’ head, as Jean-Xorn tries to manipulate him, and she pretty much succeeds, buying the Brotherhood time to escape from the school. I liked how Aaron didn’t just have the two sides of the X-Men immediately team up to go after them. The tensions between Wolverine and Cyclops have not gone away, and they argue here, with Wolverine initially not wanting Cyclops’ team to help at all. It would have been easy to have this threat cause everyone to properly reunite, but I’m glad that’s not happening, the X-Men books have been so good lately with all of the ideological and moral splits, I want it to continue.

The Brotherhood (I was surprised to see that Molly Hayes and Xavier weren’t dead, but Xavier was appropriately crippled) and their prisoners, the OG X-Men, are still reeling from the discovery that the Originals can’t be sent back in time, so Future-Beast moves on to Plan B, and that’s to attack Cape Citadel, the military base that Magneto attacked waaaay back in Uncanny X-Men #1, and where the X-Men made their first ever public appearance. This of course draws the attentions of SHIELD, and we get the welcome return of Maria Hill’s hatred of the X-Men, which is always funny.

Before the big battle, Aaron makes time for a small scene between Quentin Quire and his future, Phoenixed-up self, which was good stuff. I don’t feel that Aaron has done as well as Wood has at making sure his own book’s unique tone and characters have been present in the crossover, but this scene made up for it, and so did the fun stuff with the various Icemen.

The X-Men head to Cape Citadel, and another big-ass battle with the Brotherhood begins, and it looks like the X-Men are winning, but it was all a trap. Even with Xorn-Jean as the only one left standing, she is able to use her powers to cause the 3 SHIELD heli-carriers at the scene to open fire against their will, making the X-Men believe they are being attacked by the humans, which doesn’t bode well for the future, dystopian or otherwise.

This was another very enjoyable issue of a fantastic crossover, and it really did feel like a big tribute to 50 years of the X-Men, not only because all of the characters were there, but because it returned to Cape Citadel, and even smaller stuff, like Jean-Xorn’s last line of the issue being ‘hope you survive the experience’. For long-time X-fans, this story has just been a treat, and Aaron has set things up very nicely for the final chapter next week. Giuseppe Camuncoli only provided breakdowns for this issue, and you could kind of tell, things looked a little rushed, but it was still strong stuff, and considering this event has been weekly, a small price to pay, especially since Esad fucking Ribic is drawing the finale.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm starting to wonder if we'll begin to see in the next year that the Originals' inability to go pact to the past is related to the broken System in Avengers.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 pm

This event started off strong, but, has really limped to the finish.

Hab

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:19 pm

habitual wrote:This event started off strong, but, has really limped to the finish.

Hab

Yeah this issue was an uptick but it's still no where near it's greatness what? A month ago?

- Les Paul

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 am

It was a solid issue and really underscored that Future Jean is all kinds of bat-shit crazy. This cannot be understated, because I feel like so many times Jean Grey is treated like the Mutant Madonna and must always be presented in soft lights and somber tones and a heaven choir singling softly in the background or something. But here, there's a version of her that is the out-and-out bad guy. And while they had shown it several issues back, it really is front and center here.

The true Future X-Men... I kinda don't care. I mean, it's kinda cool, but they strike me more like the X-Men version of that Avengers Next movie that came out a few years ago. Everyone is either just an older version or a suprisingly-powered-up version or the child-of-so-and-so version. Again, just don't really give much of a shit about them.

As for the story of this issue itself, it's a little convoluted and there were a couple of parts that I had to go back and re-read just to figure out what in the wide, wide, world of sports was actually happening, but it wasn't terrible. Minor quibble though: I really wish that all of the people writing Maria Hill would have a pow-wow and decide how she's going to sound, because in Secret Avengers, she's like Jack Bauer with boobs, but here I get the impression that she comes to work at SHIELD after class lets out for the day. It's actually really jarring.

I've enjoyed this crossover a lot. Is it the best X-Event ever? No. But it's been fun and in the process, it has actually moved the meta-story of the X-Books forward by starting to get past the whole Logan vs. Scott thing. I'm a fan.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 559 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:11 am

Flynn the Pirate wrote:.. Jean Grey is treated like the Mutant Madonna and must always be presented in soft lights and somber tones and a heaven choir singling softly in the background or something.

Why hasn't Flynn been recruited for Front Page articles ? :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand