Advertisement

Wonder-Con Responds to Controversial Coffee/Fangirls T-Shirt

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Wonder-Con issued a response to an inquiry by the Outhouse over a controverse.

We've reported on the controversial t-shirt printed by Tankhead Custom Tees, which proclaimed hatred for "fangirls" and the response its provoked by the blogosphere and fans.  While there's been a lot of justifiable outrage over the t-shirt and Tankhead's response, there was a smattering of complaints regarding whether WonderCon should have taken action and asked the exhibitor to remove the shirt. 

The Outhouse reached out to WonderCon and received this response:

Thank you for your inquiry. No we did not have any complaints on the t-shirt, and were unaware of it until your email.

Our shows have always been open to everyone and our attendees have been welcoming in embracing the differences that makes each of us unique. Had we received complaints during the event, we certainly would have had a discussion with the exhibitor.

Presuming that WonderCon's telling the truth and that the convention was unaware of the shirt until Monday, when I emailed them, a whole lot of controversy could have been spared if someone would have spoken to the con organizers.  While I think conventions bear some responsibility to police and monitor their events in order to make the experience enjoyable for everyone, it's nearly impossible for them to catch everything without the help of con-goers.  

So, remember: if you see something, say something. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 185 posts

Re: Wonder-Con Responds to Controversial Coffee/Fangirls T-S

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Remove the stick people.

Yes the shirt is mean and kinda sucks, but who cares. If you don't like it don't buy it. I'm honestly convinced that some people need to find something to bitch about.

I'm more offended that it's just not funny.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

oogy likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 202 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:18 pm

If, as Tankhead had stated, this shirt was next to a shirt with "Fanboys" printed on it, then it is curious why the other shirt wasn't mentioned.

Both shirts are stupid as fuck by a company who only cares about money and doesn't give a shit who they offend.

Scintillant-H likes this post.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 185 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:If, as Tankhead had stated, this shirt was next to a shirt with "Fanboys" printed on it, then it is curious why the other shirt wasn't mentioned.

Both shirts are stupid as fuck by a company who only cares about money and doesn't give a shit who they offend.

Exactly.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Hypnotoad
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Hypnotoad » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 am

I don't object to the "outrage" expressed by people who've been critical of this shirt and it's weak attempt at humor, but a much better and more interesting story would have been how WonderCon reacted to this during the con. I realize that it's more fun for people to experience the visceral thrill of internet rage, but I would much rather have seen how Wondercon dealt with this. Then again "Wondercon forces exhibitor to remove offense shirt" is a much less satisfying headline for a certain segment of fandom. Some people just have to get their rage fix I guess.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand