Advertisement

Do you read Indie comics?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Do you?

Yes
10
83%
No
2
17%
 
Total votes : 12

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

kingbobb
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4803
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:01 am


Postby kingbobb » Wed May 03, 2006 12:49 pm

Croaker wrote:Don't be scared Bob. :)

Check out Local or Supermarket by Brian Wood, you might be really surprised.


I've heard so many good things about Supermarket, but what's really there that grabs people so much? Is it a social/politicall commentary thing? Are there superpowers involved at all? Or is it like a Clerks thing, where there's no real point, just kinda cool on it's own?

Advertisement

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 12:52 pm

kingbobb wrote:
I've heard so many good things about Supermarket, but what's really there that grabs people so much? Is it a social/politicall commentary thing? Are there superpowers involved at all? Or is it like a Clerks thing, where there's no real point, just kinda cool on it's own?
social/political commentary inside a really cool mafia plot for 4 issues with incredible art.

Strict31
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41969
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 167 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am
Title: Ain't enough space bitches


Postby Strict31 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:59 pm

I've read independent books in the past, A lot of Vigil stuff, Lone Wolf and Cub, Hero Alliance, Mantra...stuff like that. But that was back in High School, and then again in the mid to late 90s. As my interest in mainstream titles began to drop off, eventually, so did my interest in all comics, period. Since I'm currently in a phase of increased comic book interest, maybe I'll develop an interest in independents once more, but who knows?

However, my interest in independent titles extends primarily to action-adventure and superhero-adventure material. So, I really don't know how "indie" that is.

On the poll, I'll say "Yes", but provisionally.
Image

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."


Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Croaker
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3709
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Right behind you.


Postby Croaker » Wed May 03, 2006 1:02 pm

woznia17 wrote:social/political commentary inside a really cool mafia plot for 4 issues with incredible art.



What he said. :)

And the art is just amazing!

After you read it, I always like to go back and skip the text and just look at the purty pictures.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 1:03 pm

Croaker wrote:

What he said. :)

And the art is just amazing!

After you read it, I always like to go back and skip the text and just look at the purty pictures.
Me, too! Kristian is great. I can't wait for the trade to come out, so I can see it all in one book, sans breaks.

Croaker
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3709
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Right behind you.


Postby Croaker » Wed May 03, 2006 1:09 pm

woznia17 wrote:Me, too! Kristian is great. I can't wait for the trade to come out, so I can see it all in one book, sans breaks.


That would be cool, but I generally don't buy trades of books I already own, though I might have to make an exception for this one.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Croaker wrote:
That would be cool, but I generally don't buy trades of books I already own, though I might have to make an exception for this one.
I'm not going to get 3 and 4, but hold out for the trade.

Croaker
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3709
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Right behind you.


Postby Croaker » Wed May 03, 2006 1:11 pm

woznia17 wrote:I'm not going to get 3 and 4, but hold out for the trade.



:shock:

How can you stand it?
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Croaker wrote:

:shock:

How can you stand it?
It's $4 for each of the next two issues. And I'm starting a Brian Wood library of trades and GNs.

kingbobb
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4803
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:01 am


Postby kingbobb » Wed May 03, 2006 1:26 pm

woznia17 wrote:social/political commentary inside a really cool mafia plot for 4 issues with incredible art.


See, that's it. It's just not my thing.

Croaker
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3709
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Right behind you.


Postby Croaker » Wed May 03, 2006 1:27 pm

woznia17 wrote:It's $4 for each of the next two issues. And I'm starting a Brian Wood library of trades and GNs.



That's cool. I do like what he said that the trade wouldn't be cheaper than buying the singles. I think more people/companies need to do that.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 1:35 pm

Croaker wrote:

That's cool. I do like what he said that the trade wouldn't be cheaper than buying the singles. I think more people/companies need to do that.
And that's fine. I just don't want to be buying the same thing twice anymore. Hence, I buy DC monthlies (though, I think I'm going to read Morrison both monthly and in trade).

Croaker
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3709
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Right behind you.


Postby Croaker » Wed May 03, 2006 1:39 pm

woznia17 wrote:And that's fine. I just don't want to be buying the same thing twice anymore. Hence, I buy DC monthlies (though, I think I'm going to read Morrison both monthly and in trade).



Yeah, I just liked how he was upfront and honest about it.

Normal superhero comics I just don't care for in trade. They lose something for me. Stuff like Fables and Y:TLM reads really well in trades.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Croaker wrote:

Yeah, I just liked how he was upfront and honest about it.

Normal superhero comics I just don't care for in trade. They lose something for me. Stuff like Fables and Y:TLM reads really well in trades.
I'll buy the trade if it's a fantastic story.

I have the first 2 Nightwing trades (need to finish my Dixon/McDaniel run), Red Son, Daredevil: Guardian Devil, Batman: Year One, and then a bunch of graphic novels or indies. I know for sure I'll be getting All-Star Superman in trade, too, even though I am getting the monthlies. I'm thinking about getting Whedon's AXM, because it's really the best I see Marvel producing for a while (haven't read Civil War yet).

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40031
Likes: 194 posts
Liked in: 334 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Postby Keb » Wed May 03, 2006 4:30 pm

kingbobb wrote:But normally, Indie books scare me, like Vertigo books do.
Dude, Vertigo makes some of the best books on the market right now (insert Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets pimping here). You're missing out!
SHABBA!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 67 guests

Advertisement