Advertisement

Wonder Woman #27 (A rematch Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Wonder Woman #27 (A rematch Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:50 am

Cliff Chiang returns to the pages of Wonder Woman, and at the same time, a lot of the plotlines pick up speed. It’s almost as if Azzarello is saving the big developments for the main artist. Quite a lot of stuff happens in this issue, as after a few issues that were disappointingly slow, everything explodes nicely and this book shows just how good it can be, so let’s get to it.

Throughout the issue we see more of Apollo’s torturing of The First Born, which, while thankfully not as creepy as in previous issues, was still pretty dark. Apollo is still trying to get First Born to join his side and swear fealty, but he refuses, and in the end, First Born finally breaks free of his shackles and attacks. I can’t wait to see how brutal that fight is going to be.

As for Wonder Woman, after an emotional return to Themyscira to talk to the statue of her mother, she’s back on the hunt for Zola and Zeke, and I do mean hunt. After another very well-written scene featuring Hera (I love how Azzarello has developed Hera throughout this series, just fantastic character work), Diana goes off to Russia to as Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, for her help to track down her missing friend. To do this, she has to fight Artemis again, and this time, Artemis is in the form of a giant fucking bear, which is kind of awesome. Wonder Woman fights the giant bear, and surprisingly, is forced to submit. Artemis agrees to help find Zola, but only if Wonder Woman agrees to do her a favour in the future. I was surprised that Wonder Woman lost this fight, but from the sneaky smile on her face, it looks like she has a deeper plan up her sleeve.

Also on the hunt for Zola is Cassandra, but where on Earth is she? Well, she’s in Provence with Dionysus, and for a while, she seems to be happy, and able to talk to someone. Then, some of Dio’s ‘friends’ show up, and they go on a Truffle hunt in the woods. Whilst wandering through the woods, Dionysus’ friends start suddenly getting horny and taking off their clothes. Freaked out by the prospect of being forced into an orgy, Zola tries to run away, but before she can, she sees that this isn’t an orgy, Dionysus is just turning these poor people into pigs to hunt for truffles.

This was a gloriously fucked-up scene, perfectly drawn by Chiang, who really is just fantastic, I can’t praise him enough, and even though the fill-ins are good, when he returns, it just lives everything up a notch. The fucked up pig transformations send Zola running off into the woods, where she runs straight into Cassandra’s ship, and we see that she’s got a Minotaur to help her. Oh yes.

It looks like quite a lot of characters are going to converge in these woods, with Wonder Woman and Artemis soon to arrive to face Cassandra and her Minotaur, and with Dio around, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Apollo/First Born fight ends up there too. This book is never less than good, but with this issue, it took another step above that. If you read only one DC book, it should probably be this one.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Wonder Woman #27 (A rematch Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 am

I know I should really be reading Wonder Woman but, I have too much to read, I still need to read Morrison's Action.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I know I should really be reading Wonder Woman but, I have too much to read, I still need to read Morrison's Action.

Eh...if I had a choice (having read both books), I'd go with this one over Morrison's Action.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Wonder Woman is one of the top 5 comic books being published today, IMO. I think it might even be my number one. Every month the quality of the issues falls somewhere between good and great. Azarello and Chang are brilliant and have penned the quintessential Wonder Woman. Like Snyder/Capullo, I hope it never ends.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 585 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Eh...if I had a choice (having read both books), I'd go with this one over Morrison's Action.

I've already forgotten a lot of that Action run. But I savor every issue of Wonder Woman. So worth it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand