Advertisement

Animal Man #27 (Gone in circles Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Animal Man #27 (Gone in circles Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 am

With only a few issues left of this series, every issue has an epic feeling of finality, and, along with Rafael Albuquerque’s excellent art, it really is bringing it as we reach the end.

Most of the action here takes place inside The Red, but there is some ‘real world’ stuff too, as Ellen responds to the hectoring of paparazzi and reporters by punching one of them right in the face. This was a very satisfying moment, as press intrusion on Buddy and his family has been a big part of the last year or so of Lemire’s story, and it was great to see one of the Bakers get some revenge. Unfortunately, it did lead to the reporter pressing charges and Ellen getting arrested. You win some you lose some.

Inside The Red, Buddy is taking the fight to the King Of Limbs, and he reveals that, thanks to The Bridgewalker (who is apparently female, who could tell?), Animal Man is now more powerful than ever, as he can expand his powers and take them from alien animals. Buddy transforms into a giant horned lion gorilla, which is kind of awesome, and takes the fight to the big bad.

At the same time, Shepherd and his warriors have been backed into a corner. With Brother Blood and the Splinterfolk coming their way, the only option left is for Maxine and Socks to hide in the tunnels and try and make their way to the very edge of The Red. Maxine doesn’t want to go there, because she might lose her chance to bring back Cliff, which leads to an emotional moment where Socks tells her that there never was a chance to bring her brother back. I liked that Lemire had Socks realise he was too harsh here, and how it reminded him, and the readers, that Maxine is a lot younger than she acts. Unfortunately, for some reason, following the tunnels has brought Maxine and Socks right back to where they entered, and they come across Brother Blood’s attack on Shepherd, which ends with Shepherd getting killed.

Things are looking bleak for the Baker family right now, Ellen is in prison, Buddy is trapped in a fight against the King Of Limbs, unable to get to his daughter, who is at the mercy of Brother Blood. It’s dark now, but I can’t wait to see how Lemire is going to write his way out of this and give everyone a happy ending. That’s if there’s going to be a happy ending, there has to be a reason for Animal Man to move to Canada, perhaps it’s because the rest of his family are killed? I somehow doubt that, but you never know (I actually do know, as at a recent Convention, I saw some of Albuquerque’s pages for future issues).

As I said up top, Albuquerque’s artwork was great, even though he’s not going to have a long run here, it’s certainly been an impactful one, and he’s been a great choice to illustrate these last few big issues.

Advertisement

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: Animal Man #27 (Gone in circles Spoilers)

Postby AngusH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Outside of the great 2-page spreads, I really wasn't a huge fan of the art last issue. Rafael is back and great here in #27 though. My main problem with this issue is that it read like one long, drawn out climax. It will read better in a trade, but as a stand alone issue it was a bit lacking story-wise.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 am

I'm really going to miss this book, but it's been a perfect run. Having read Grant Morrison's Animal Man, I have to say I prefer this one. Sad to see the Shepherd go, but I saw it happening early in the issue. Bit of a gutwrencher really.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I'm really going to miss this book, but it's been a perfect run. Having read Grant Morrison's Animal Man, I have to say I prefer this one. Sad to see the Shepherd go, but I saw it happening early in the issue. Bit of a gutwrencher really.

I've got a half dozen issues to go on the Morrison run, but there's no question IMO. Morrison's Animal Man was a writing experiment, Lemire's Animal Man is a touching, heartfelt story about a B-grade superhero and his family.

I'm not knocking Morrison's run as it's quite good and certainly very creative, but Lemire's run is much more to my tastes and a better 'story'. It's a shame Rot World took up a chunk of the issues, but I'm willing to overlook it because of the strength of the rest of the run.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I'm really going to miss this book, but it's been a perfect run. Having read Grant Morrison's Animal Man, I have to say I prefer this one. Sad to see the Shepherd go, but I saw it happening early in the issue. Bit of a gutwrencher really.

Agreed, this series and Swamp thing are among the few outstanding series of the New 52.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 pm

AngusH wrote:It's a shame Rot World took up a chunk of the issues, but I'm willing to overlook it because of the strength of the rest of the run.

Yeah, I remember really looking forward to Rotworld before it came out. The execution of that story was really lacking and a great disappointment.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Also, count me among those sad to see Shepard go.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand