Advertisement

All-New Invaders #2 (Special Kree Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

All-New Invaders #2 (Special Kree Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:00 pm

This title is turning into a really great, old-school superhero comic. James Robinson isn’t trying to really deconstruct anything here, he’s just telling an exciting action story with cool characters, and I’ll never not be down for that.

This second issue begins a few hours before the end of #1, Bucky is in Vienna, Winter Soldiering it up and assassinating an ex-Stasi officer. The job goes smoothly, but afterwards he is attacked by those pesky Kree, and much like Human Torch, he is mind-zapped and given that same vision of the past. Bucky is able to interrogate one of the Kree (I love that he can speak Kree, so bad-ass) and finds out that they have Namor held captive, and are out to attack Human Torch. He calls up Cap, and they head to save their friend, which brings us up to where last issue left off. I did like how Cap was annoyed at Bucky for breaking his ‘supposed to be dead’ cover, Robinson does give Cap a bit of an old-fashioned side.

The fight back in Blaketon between Cap, Bucky, Human Torch and Tarnath was great fun, with the villainous Kree throwing around loads of power, and basically smashing the shit out of them. Cap realises that separately they aren’t strong enough, so they need to attack together, but even that doesn’t work. It’s just a pleasure to have these 3 characters working alongside each other, it’s simple, but it put a smile on my face for sure. The only reason the Invaders aren’t killed is that Tarnath receives word that her fellow soldiers have found the last piece of the Gods’ Whisper, so she just ups and leaves. Overall, this was a really great action scene, but it wasn’t all fun and games, as it basically destroyed Blaketon and leaves the townspeople angry and scared towards Jim Hammond. Robinson is doing a fantastic job at making Hammond a compelling, sympathetic character.

Later, on Cap’s Quinjet, Bucky and Jim fill him in on the back-story here. The mysterious vision that they both had last issue wasn’t some kind of fake memory after all, it was real, only after it had happened, and after they had split the Gods’ Whisper into three and hidden it, the other Invaders decided to have Aarkus, the original Golden-Age Vision erase their memories. It was pretty awesome to see such an obscure character show up again, I can’t wait to see the other Marvel Golden Age D-listers that Robinson pulls out of the Mothballs. He managed to make the fucking Red Bee compelling in Starman, so anything can happen. Cap is not best pleased that his friends lied to him, but he realises that their priority now is to rescue Namor from Hala. I loved that even though he knew most other people on Earth would be pleased to have the Sub-Mariner off-planet, they still had to save him, and man, that last line of the issue was a real fist-pumper. ‘We invade them’, totally awesome, it makes the team name make sense on top of being bad-ass.

Steve Pugh’s art was once again very strong, especially on the early Winter Soldier pages, where he was channelling Butch Guice and Steve Epting. This is an old-school comic, and his art fits that to a tee. This title isn’t reinventing the wheel, but it’s well-written, well-drawn and exciting, so it’s well worth your time.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 430 posts

Re: All-New Invaders #2 (Special Kree Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Good review.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 114 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Cap is not best pleased that his friends lied to him, but he realises that their priority now is to rescue Namor from Hala. I loved that even though he knew most other people on Earth would be pleased to have the Sub-Mariner off-planet, they still had to save him, and man, that last line of the issue was a real fist-pumper. ‘We invade them’, totally awesome, it makes the team name make sense on top of being bad-ass.

Ya it was!!! Now I just need some "Imperious Rex" to go with that and I'll be set. I didn't grow up during the Golden Age but man o man, nothing beats it from either of the Big Two.

My kids didn't get to eat yogurt this week(not really) because of Invaders #2 and it was worth it! :wink:

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 pm

It was cool seeing the golden age Vision again. It makes me wonder if we're going to see him again sometime in this series.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Stephen Day wrote:It was cool seeing the golden age Vision again. It makes me wonder if we're going to see him again sometime in this series.

Robinson (or the editor) says we will see Aarkus again in the letters page.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Punchy wrote:
Robinson (or the editor) says we will see Aarkus again in the letters page.

Cool, good to know. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand