Advertisement

All-New X-Men #23 (Very bad luck in space Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

All-New X-Men #23 (Very bad luck in space Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 pm

‘The Trial Of Jean Grey’ was already very enjoyable, but now that the X-Men and Guardians Of The Galaxy have met and are on the same page, it’s even better! It’s a lot of fun to see these two groups interact, and what makes it all the sweeter is that the reason for the team-up makes sense.

Bendis kicks things off with the unconscious Scott Summers dreaming of Jean Grey, before waking up on a space-ship full of weird aliens. He’s understandably shocked, and whilst Beast, Iceman and Angel are loving being in space, Scott only has one thing on his mind… Jean.

Jean has of course been captured by the Shi’ar, and we see her come face to face with Gladiator and the rest of the Imperial Guard, who tell her that she’s been brought to them to answer for her crimes, but since she hasn’t actually done them yet, she’s rightfully pissed off. Later, we see Jean interrogated by Oracle, the Imperial Guard telepath, who reads her mind and can tell that Jean has no memory of her crimes, because, as I said, she hasn’t done them yet. Jean yells at her, but all Oracle can say is that she needs to watch her temper. I’m sort of thinking that Jean is going to get so pissed off at the injustice of what’s happening to her that she’s going to go full Phoenix and cause even more damage.

Most of the middle portion of the issue is the Guardians and X-Men interacting and tons of funny Bendis dialogue and moments. I loved Iceman saying talking to Rocket Raccoon made him feel like a Disney Princess, that’s going to pour more fuel on the ‘Iceman is gay’ rumours and beliefs (I personally don’t think he is, but whatever, it was funny). Rocket Raccoon’s anger at being called a Raccoon is continues to be a great running joke as well, although Bendis is probably running the fake swear-word ‘krutack’ into the ground. It’s not long however before the Shi’ar attack the Guardians’ ship, and it’s action stations. Angela, Drax and Groot head out to stop the attack, and just as Gamora is preparing to join them, another ship arrives to help.

The identity of this ship and it’s crew shouldn’t be a surprise, given that this story is all about the Shi’ar, but it is. It’s the return of the Starjammers, and I’m talking the classic Starjammers here. Ch’od, Raza, Hepzibah and of course, their leader, Corsair. Corsair is supposed to be dead, and there’s no explanation for why he isn’t in this issue, but there’s still been no explanation for why Star-Lord isn’t dead, so I don’t mind too much. It’s comics, and having Corsair be alive is a great story decision because he is Cyclops’ father. Young Scott doesn’t know that his dad is alive yet, so it’s going to be fascinating to see how he reacts and what their relationship is like. Hell, it’s so fascinating it’s getting it’s own series!

Stuart Immonen’s art was so good it’s getting boring just talking about it, in an issue with so many (too many?) characters, each one stood out and had personality, and he made a conversation in a dark room just as interesting to read as an epic space dog-fight. His art is key to selling Bendis’ humour, I think under a lesser artist, the jokey lines wouldn’t land nearly as well. Marte Gracia’s colours and Wade Von Grawbadger’s inks are also crucial to the look of this book, with strong lines and bright colours making everything pop. I’m really enjoying this crossover, I always love it when the X-Men go into space, and this is no exception.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: All-New X-Men #23 (Very bad luck in space Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm

I liked the ending too. I'm surprised that Corsair is back with no explanation. I'd heard that he had been killed off, but since I tend not to read the X-books, I just assumed that he had been brought back at some point.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: All-New X-Men #23 (Very bad luck in space Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 pm

I've got to say that even as much as I have been enjoying Bendis' work on the X-Titles and even the past few issues of Guardians of the Galaxy, I am starting to get a little tired of the way he has just been pulling character's out of his ass without any explanation. Thanos, Star-Lord, Drax, and now Corsair. Excuse me if I am forgetting anybody but I would like to have some form of an explanation sooner rather than later.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand