Advertisement

Batman / Superman #8 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts

Batman / Superman #8 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Batman / Superman #8  Preview

Jae Lee returns as Artist in part 1 of the FIRST CONTACT cross-over

Source: USA Today

DC's soliciit on this universe-crossing event:

The Worlds’ Finest teams of two worlds meet at last in chapter 1 of “First Contact”! With Power Girl’s abilities on the fritz, see what happens when her long-lost cousin Superman approaches her! And a major threat returns in a way you won’t believe!

Continues in this month’s WORLDS’ FINEST #20.

Written by:  Greg Pak
Art & Cover by:  Jae Lee
Steampunk Variant Cover by:  Tommy Lee Edwards
32 pages
$3.99  (US)
Combo-Pack Edition:  $4.99 (US)
On sale:  February 26, 2014

This issue is also offered as a Combo Pack Edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

And be sure to check out USA Today's interview with Greg Pak and Jae Lee on their thoughts and  approach to the characters and what's upcoming for  this series. 

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Batman / Superman #8 Preview

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Pretty good issue, actually. After some quick intros and identity validation, Superman tries to help Powergirl with her recent power fluctuations while Huntress goes on a mission with Batman. It was really fun to see Bruce and Helena in action together "again".

Part 2 in Worlds' finest #20 reveals the scope of this cross-over is larger than expected. Batman teams with Powergirl and they discover that
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Kara's power problem is the result of a nanite infection caused by a villain named Kaizen who is this Earth's double of the Earth-2 guy Ken that Kara went on a date with in Worlds' Finest Annual #1. He also has somehow grafted Kryptonian DNA onto humans to create his own super-army and he plans to use Kara as a means to create a bridge to Earth-2 !

To be continued in Batman/Superman #9
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Just as an aside...does anyone but me think it's strange that Batman reads like he should but Superman feels...oddly wrong? It's not the costume or the de-aging, but two years in and I don't see this guy as Superman. *sigh* Maybe I'm the Danny Glover in this scenario...just too old for this ****.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 258 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Just as an aside...does anyone but me think it's strange that Batman reads like he should but Superman feels...oddly wrong? It's not the costume or the de-aging, but two years in and I don't see this guy as Superman. *sigh* Maybe I'm the Danny Glover in this scenario...just too old for this ****.

It's not you. Superman hasn't "read right" since the New 52 started.

But then, I could say that for lots of other characters, especially his cousin.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Supes costume on this cover looks a lot better than the one from the Superman book. It just screams "Superman" more.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Astonishingly, both this and Worlds' Finest, which is also out currently, are pretty decent books. Nothing earth-shaking, but much better than the normal level for Worlds' Finest at least.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 258 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:11 pm

achilles wrote:Astonishingly, both this and Worlds' Finest, which is also out currently, are pretty decent books. Nothing earth-shaking, but much better than the normal level for Worlds' Finest at least.

I actually gave up on Worlds' Finest about 3 months ago because it had gotten too repetitive. It felt like I was reading the same story over and over again. So at least this seems to be moving things forward.

It's not enough for me to start reading WF again though... and I have no interest in B/S after the awful first issue.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Jae Lee returns with this issue, and so does the spectre (not ‘The Spectre’ as in the big green vengeance guy) of Earth-2, as Batman and Superman meet up with their alternate reality relatives, Huntress and Power Girl for the first time in the new continuity. I’m still kind of mad that those two stole the title ‘World’s Finest’ from it’s rightful owners, but it’s a crossover that makes sense, and this was a good comic.

Greg Pak begins in the Bat-Cave, where Batman has Huntress imprisoned. She tells him that she is his and Catwoman’s daughter from an alternate reality, and that she and Power Girl travelled to this dimension after Darkseid attacked and killed all of the heroes there. Batman doesn’t want to believe her, but his wiped memories of the first arc of this series resurface slightly, and he does begin to trust her, but not before he decides to knock her out and run some tests. Batman is such a gloriously paranoid dick, I love it. Batman’s tests prove that she is a Bruce Wayne’s daughter, so now Huntress can explain why she’s come to her ‘dad’ for help, and it’s because Power Girl’s powers are getting out of control. She’s on the beach, going crazy and releasing blasts of energy. Huntress and Batman head off to stop her, but they do tell her they are coming, which leads to a fun bit where Power Girl is mad at her friend for teaming up with Batman, because he might be an evil alternate universe version. To us readers, the New 52 is the main universe, but for these characters, it is an alternate reality, so it was cool to have that perspective. And to be honest, the New 52 Batman is kind of evil compared to the more traditional Earth-2 version!

Batman decides to not to inform Superman that a fellow Kryptonian is freaking out somewhere, but of course, it’s hard to keep a secret from Big Blue, and he flies to the rescue. I loved that splash page of Superman coming into save the day, with cute bulldog in hand. A great moment of subtle humour, perfectly sold by Jae Lee’s art, which is fantastic throughout, he really makes these characters look iconic and larger than life. June Chung’s colours also deserve praise, as panels featuring Batman and Huntress are far darker than those focusing on just Superman and Power Girl, that really sells the difference between the characters, acting alongside Pak’s narration.

Superman is able to stop Power Girl’s rampage by slamming a rock onto her, and he takes her out to the middle of the ocean where she can unleash her excess energy safely. Meanwhile, Batman and Huntress work out where the source of Power Girl’s problems are coming from, a country called ‘Rheelasia’ that is under the control of a certain Kaizen Gamorra. I may be wrong, but isn’t that a character from the old Wildstorm Universe? I think he was actually the villain of the first arc of the Authority, although the New 52 version looks different, he’s not an old man for one thing. Bats once again decides not to tell Superman this info, and Huntress doesn’t fill in Power Girl either, because apparently, the Earth-2 version of Gamorra used to go out with Power Girl! Very interesting indeed. As Bruce Wayne and one of his random hook-ups, Batman and Huntress are able to infiltrate one of Gamorra’s parties, and sneak around, with Huntress discovering something big, and at the same time, Superman and Power Girl are close behind, which is bad news, as Gamorra plans to ‘detonate’ her. Power Girl panics and flies off into space to explode on her own, but Superman isn’t going to let that happen, and he flies off after her, and when she explodes, he’s right there with her. That’s certainly an intriguing ending, but it’s not exciting enough for me to want to pick up the issue of World’s Finest that will continue the story.

This was a solid comic, with fantastic art from Lee, and I like the fact that, despite the memory wipe ending, Pak hasn’t forgotten the previous storylines, and I continue to love the way he contrasts his title characters, it’s just annoying that once again, this book can’t really stand alone. I haven’t read Earth-2 or World’s Finest and I’d like a story that didn’t rely on those books.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews