Advertisement

Aquaman #28 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 233 posts

Aquaman #28 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Aquaman #28  Preview

Sharks. Sea monsters. Torpedos. The secret of Triton Base!

Source: Comics Continuum previews

The DC solicit:

He’s saved a diver from a vicious shark attack – but he’ll soon regret it. His most powerful weapon has been stolen from his care – and he’s never even heard of the man who took it.  But Aquaman’s greatest challenge yet may be Amnesty Bay’s ten year high school reunion!

Written by:  Jeff Parker
Art by:  Paul Pelletier, Sean Parsons, Andrew Hennessy
Cover by:  Paul Pelletier, Sean Parsons
Steampunk Variant Cover by:  Richard Horie
32 pages
$2.99  (US)
On sale:  February 26, 2014

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 316 posts

Re: Aquaman #28 Preview

Postby Draco x » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Nothing is scarier than a high school reunion apparently. LOL. :-D :-D :-D :-D

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Turns out the reunion is a large part of this issue as it reveals a few things about what it was like for Arthur as teenager.
Prior to that Arthur saves that diver from last issue. During the scene of him in the medical bay I could totally hear "We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster." :D
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 989 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 pm

This was a surprisingly strong issue that was fun and upbeat for the most part. The interaction at the high school reunion was great, especially when Mera met Arthur's high school sweetheart.
ImageImageImage

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 557 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:During the scene of him in the medical bay I could totally hear "We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster." :D

Yeah, I think we'll be seeing this dude again... 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:51 pm

This was the best issue of Jeff Parker’s tenure on Aquaman so far, and that’s down to the fact that this issue went somewhere completely unexpected and didn’t just carry on the same kind of things Geoff Johns did. I never thought I would ever see Aquaman attending his High School Reunion, but I have, and it was pretty damn awesome.

The issue begins with the mysterious man who’s been sniffing around Amnesty Bay trying to find out about Aquaman making his way closer to the Lighthouse, but we soon move over to the situation at Triton Base, with Aquaman and his fellow Atlanteans tracking the brain of the Karaqan. Initially shocked by what the humans have built beneath the surface, Aquaman soon gets into hero mode and tries to rescue the guy from the end of last issue who was being attacked by sharks. But, of course, things are never that simple, and the Triton Base fires a missile at him. Eventually, thanks to Dr Shin they realise that Aquaman is here to help, and he’s able to get the man back inside the base, but he’s in a bad way, with his legs all bitten off. Aquaman asks Shin for an explanation, but he doesn’t get one, and instead, with guns pointed at his head, is forced to leave. Shin tells Arthur that he has some leave coming up, and he’ll explain soon, so the Triton plotline looks set to be a lengthy runner.

Back on the surface, Aquaman sends the rest of the Atlanteans back to Atlantis, but he and Mera stay in Amnesty Bay, where they are met by a local cop, who went to High School with Aquaman, and invites him to their reunion. I just loved the way the story turned here, you thought you were going to get some serious action and intrigue, but nope, it’s time for some comedy and character development. One of the most intriguing things about Aquaman is how he struggles to balance his Atlantean side with his human side, and lately, with him becoming King and all, this series has focused way too much on the Atlantean stuff, so it was great to have Aquaman have to go back to be ‘Art Curry’ and be put in a very realistic situation. Arthur initially doesn’t want to go to the reunion, but Mera convinces him otherwise, and, after some initial awkwardness, it was a good decision, as we see him begin to reconnect with his old classmates, and confirm that he had been helping them out in secret when any of them got in trouble in the sea. It even turns out that Aquaman’s tortured memory, where he punched a kid so hard he was in a coma for a month turned out all right anyway, as that guy grew up to be proud that Aquaman hit him! With this issue, Parker is seeming to say that Amnesty Bay is Aquaman’s home and not Atlantis, and I can go along with that, I always like my heroes to be humans first, and with this issue, Arthur Curry’s humanity shines through.

But it’s not all fun and games and drinking on the beach, as more traditional superhero danger is just around the corner. The man who Aquaman saved from the sharks is now in a vegetative state, and given that he has no next of kin and it’s too expensive to keep him alive, the scientists at Triton are going to experiment on him, so that’s a new villain for sure. Also, whilst at the Reunion, the stranger breaks into Aquaman’s lighthouse, steals his trident and uses it to open up a portal with something bad behind it about to return.

Paul Pelletier’s artwork was solid as usual, and I was glad to see him draw some more comedic scenes here, he did well at that kind of material back on She-Hulk. If you haven’t been reading Aquaman, I really think this is a good jumping on point, it’s not what you’d expect from the character, but that’s for the best.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 332 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Back in the Silver Age, Jed Coombs was .. Creature King ! :-D

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Not a great cover. There's too much green and brown, which kind of muddies up the cover, and nothing really pops out. I had to look at it two or three times until I saw details like Steampunk Aquaman's mechanical hand and grey diving helmet.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews