Advertisement

Hawkeye #15 (Spoilers Eventually, Bro)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 833 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Hawkeye #15 (Spoilers Eventually, Bro)

Postby Grayson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:04 am

Bro...seriously? Seriously, bro!

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 148 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Hawkeye #15 (Spoilers Eventually, Bro)

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Grayson wrote:Bro...seriously? Seriously, bro!

This is what I said when I read the letters page .... and found out that Aja's next issue is #19 :roll:

Obviously I should have been reading Bleeding Cool :smt017
http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/78943-more-hawkeye-changes-17-18-19-a.html

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Bros, holy shit, bros...those last 2 pages? Broooooooooooo.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 pm

chap22 wrote:Bros, holy shit, bros...those last 2 pages? Broooooooooooo.

Bro. Bro, bro, bro. Broooooo! What the hell happened?! I did not see that ending coming.

Did I read it wrong or did the Clown shove an arrow through Clint's head?! Also poor Barney!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Grayson wrote:
Bro. Bro, bro, bro. Broooooo! What the hell happened?! I did not see that ending coming.

Did I read it wrong or did the Clown shove an arrow through Clint's head?! Also poor Barney!

yeah, I think that's exactly what happened (well, maybe not "through" technically, but definitely into)...probably what causes the
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
new deafness
mentioned in the next Aja issue's solicit.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:44 pm

So are we at a consensus that this is Marvel's best book?

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 pm

habitual wrote:So are we at a consensus that this is Marvel's best book?

Hab

Yeah, I think so. There's a good group of books just behind it (DD, Thor, WatXM/Amazing X, All-New X, Uncanny Avengers, and a bunch of other new books that show promise like Avengers World, Black Widow and Loki), but I think it's #1.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 am

Despite the ending being a little hard to follow.....wow bro.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:34 pm

I kinda want to go back and reread all of the "Clint" portions of this arc to see what kind of clues and/or hints I have missed.

chap22 wrote:yeah, I think that's exactly what happened (well, maybe not "through" technically, but definitely into)...probably what causes the new deafness mentioned in the next Aja issue's solicit.

Hmmm...good call, I totally forgot about that.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:28 am

Hot on the heels of #16 comes the issue that was meant to come before it! This numbering snafu doesn’t really matter too much to be honest, with the title’s current alternating between Kate and Clint issues, and really, it was just great to have this book back, and to have a plotline that has been spinning it’s wheels (albeit very entertainingly) for what seems like months, finally move forward again. This issue really brings back the Hawkeye/Tracksuit Draculas War to the fore, as well as continuing the relationship between Clint and his brother Barney, and it does so all with that usual Hawkeye style and charm.

The issue begins with Hawkeye once again looking like an idiot, as the Draculas have him surrounded, guns aimed at his head, and he has his trousers round his ankles, because he’s lost his belt and he can’t tie the string properly. I think at times Fraction pushes it a little bit with Clint’s stupidity, I mean, how can you be an Avenger if you can’t keep your trousers on? But since it all works out and it provides enough of a distraction to allow Barney to take them out, I suppose you can justify it. We also see Clint and Barney have to go inside the building to rescue Clint’s neighbours from more Draculas, so they have a way inside.

Intercut with Clint and Barney’s confrontations with these Draculas, we see the Barton brothers trying to investigate this enemy alongside Clint’s recurring ex-Girlfriends. First Mockingbird, then Black Widow, and finally Spider-Woman. It’s great seeing these characters appear and just condescend to Hawkeye. I’m not sure what the significance is of Barney playing the crossword in the background, or if it has any at all (with Fraction, it’s always hard to tell what’s meant to be taken seriously and what’s a joke). Clint slowly works his way through the Draculas, until he finds out about their hitman, the Clown, the man who killed poor, poor Grills.

At the same time, we find out more about what the Draculas’ plan is, and wow, it’s not what I expected. They have been buying up real estate in Clint’s area of New York, in order to knock it down and build a luxury shopping mall, and only Clint’s building is standing in their way. I actually really dig this, it’s not your typical supervillain plot, and it really puts Hawkeye’s hero on the street nature into focus. Unfortunately however, the Clown peruses the documents, and sees that Clint technically doesn’t really own this building, he didn’t buy it legally really, he just thought he could skate along on being an Avenger and being rich. But of course, he couldn’t. Without the law in his way, the Clown realises that he doesn’t need to hold back and can really attack Hawkeye head on, which, well, he does.

The issue culminates in a truly shocking scene, where, after ruminating on it with Barney and Spider-Woman (and once again being told what an idiot he is by an ex), Clint realises that the Draculas have a way into the building (the old lady from the Dog issue!) and might still be inside! He rushes out, but the Clown is lying in wait, with 2 of Clint’s own arrows in hand. It’s not clear what exactly he does to Hawkeye, but it looks like he stabs him right through the ear. Barney comes running, only to be shot right in the chest, leaving Spider-Woman alone with two possibly dead Bartons.

These final 2 pages were fantastic, with Aja telling it all himself with the art. It’s just great in general to have his art back again, and whilst this issue doesn’t contain as much experimentation as previous Hawkeyes have, every panel is perfect and stylish and the pacing of the action works brilliantly. Even though Marvel Now sparked an artistic renaissance at the company, this is still it’s best looking comic for me.

I was truly shocked by the ending of this issue, now obviously Hawkeye isn’t dead, but he certainly won’t be the same, and Barney probably is dead, so the fall-out from this should be amazing. It’s going to be quite a long wait for the follow-up though, which is the only real problem. I’m sure the Chris Eliopoulos drawn #17, and the next Kate issue will be great, but damn, that cliffghanger!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:33 pm

chap22 wrote:Bros, holy shit, bros...those last 2 pages? Broooooooooooo.

Yeah, that was shocking as all hell.

I loved the tension building up to that ending though. You knew some thing bad was coming, especially when it became clear that the bad guys knew that Clint's current situation precluded him from calling the authorities for backup.

Thank you Troy for the sig

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby AngusH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Is the whole young-adult detective Kate stuff just a way to ensure Aja is available for all the Clint issues?

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby AngusH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh and, yeah, #15 was awesome.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 pm

AngusH wrote:Is the whole young-adult detective Kate stuff just a way to ensure Aja is available for all the Clint issues?

It may have started that way but I think that it has evolved into it's own thing that may intersect with Clint's arc eventually. In fact, with the new revelations from this issue I wouldn't be surprised if these two arcs converge sooner rather than later.

AngusH wrote:Oh and, yeah, #15 was awesome.

:smt045
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand