Advertisement

IDW's various Dredd books

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 24 posts

IDW's various Dredd books

Postby AngusH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Anyone reading? I read some 2000AD in the early 90s and have always liked the character, but I don't recall specific storylines, just recognise the odd character and villain when I see them. Overall, I'm really enjoying IDW's take on Dredd, and especially appreciate the 'Dredd History' lessons in the back of each issue.

Swierczynski's (I hope there will be a time when I do not have to google the spelling of his surname) book took some time to grow on me, but the long-term planning he's put in to the story are really starting to pay off, and the most recent arc was great. I'm not a huge fan of Daniel's style re: the art - it's more the tone than the quality, as he's a fine artist, but I think I would prefer a grittier style. I've really liked some of the backup stories too, both the art as well as the way they have tied into the main plot.

Year One was a quality mini, and the first two issues of Mega City Two have been excellent. I will have to get the Mars Attacks cross over mini in trade, as I missed them the first time around.

I'm less familiar with Rogue Trooper but I'm interested enough to pick up #1 based on the quality of Dredd.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: IDW's various Dredd books

Postby Amoebas » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm

AngusH wrote:Anyone reading? I read some 2000AD in the early 90s and have always liked the character, but I don't recall specific storylines, just recognise the odd character and villain when I see them. Overall, I'm really enjoying IDW's take on Dredd, and especially appreciate the 'Dredd History' lessons in the back of each issue.

Swierczynski's (I hope there will be a time when I do not have to google the spelling of his surname) book took some time to grow on me, but the long-term planning he's put in to the story are really starting to pay off, and the most recent arc was great. I'm not a huge fan of Daniel's style re: the art - it's more the tone than the quality, as he's a fine artist, but I think I would prefer a grittier style. I've really liked some of the backup stories too, both the art as well as the way they have tied into the main plot.

Year One was a quality mini, and the first two issues of Mega City Two have been excellent. I will have to get the Mars Attacks cross over mini in trade, as I missed them the first time around.

I'm less familiar with Rogue Trooper but I'm interested enough to pick up #1 based on the quality of Dredd.

I love Dredd but Swiercz wasn't thrilling me with his first couple arcs so I dropped it.

"Long-term plan"? Maybe I'll go back and retry it.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I'm reading them, and generally like them. It's hard to get 2000AD here in the states in some LCS, so it's a good way to get a general intro to the character, which I support.

And of course even in 2000AD, the Dredd stories haven't always been top-notch.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Amoebas wrote:"Long-term plan"? Maybe I'll go back and retry it.

Yeah, each arc has its conclusion, but events trickle down and shape later arcs. I mean, it seems fundamental, but IDW and Swierczynski could've gone with the simple approach of just writting small arcs detailing the main Dredd villains and places without the effort of plotting out a long-term story linking the various arcs. That's what I expected this would be, sort of a "Best of Dredd" type book, and while it is exactly that for the most part, I appreciate the level of detail Swierczynski has put into it.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

achilles wrote:I'm reading them, and generally like them. It's hard to get 2000AD here in the states in some LCS, so it's a good way to get a general intro to the character, which I support.

And of course even in 2000AD, the Dredd stories haven't always been top-notch.

Yeah, I don't think it's actually possible to physically buy 2000AD anywhere here in Australia (that I've seen), but in the early 90s I could pick it up each week from my local newsagency. I was reading it digitally for awhile last year, but for these type of anthology books I prefer to physically have the last couple of issues in my hands so I can flip back and forth between the current and previous months storylines.

I keep meaning to grab the Collected Case files TPBs, but not really sure on where to start, as I expect the super early Dredd doesn't bare a lot of similiarity to how the character ended up.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand