Advertisement

Wonder Woman #29 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 276 posts

Wonder Woman #29 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Wonder Woman #29  Preview

Possible SPOILERS inside, kids

Source: IGN previews

DC's solicit says:

If the helmet fits…then it’s time to play God !

Written by:  Brian Azzarello
Art & Cover by:  Cliff Chiang
Robot Chicken Variant Cover by: RC Stoodios
32 pages
$2.99  (US)
On sale:  March 19, 2014

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Wonder Woman #29 Preview

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:03 pm

I haven't read all my new comics for this week yet but so far this one is a contender for Comic Of The Week 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 201 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

This was a good read, in a week of great comics.

I am not looking forward to the creative team changing on this book.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Azzarello and Chiang’s Wonder Woman has been awesome since #1, but I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that this issue is probably the best yet. All of the various subplots and characters come together atop a ruined Olympus, and the stage is set for an epic last few issues of this run. Don’t get me wrong, I’m annoyed that this team is leaving to be replaced by David Finch, but still, we have a lot more greatness to come.

The issue begins with Hera, in a very funny scene where she tries to decide what to order at the restaurant, before she’s blasted by a strange green orb. After that, it’s time for everyone to make their way to Olympus. Artemis and Hermes see the explosion, and then Artemis senses that her brother is gone. They teleport there, only to have Cassandra’s ship land right on top of them. Wonder Woman managed to keep it going long enough to ensure a safe landing at least.

Once everyone is together (Zola and Zeke wisely stay hidden), Artemis goes after Cassandra, thinking she is the one who killed Apollo, but of course it wasn’t her, it was The First Born. He reveals himself as hideously charred corpse, but he’s claimed the throne of Olympus, and is more powerful than ever. He can send out weird red tendrils that can drain the life-force from people, even Gods. He gets Artemis to death’s door, and with what she thinks is her last breath, she tells Wonder Woman to fulfil their bargain by no longer denying her mantle. First Born rants and raves like a true villain should, but just as he has everyone at his mercy, Hera arrives, and oh yes, she has her power back. That green orb was Apollo’s last act, he restored her to Godhood. I’ve enjoyed seeing Hera struggle with mortality, so I’m sad to see that end, but it had to come to this, and those struggles have changed her, she’s not a villain anymore. She realises that they need an army to defeat her son, so she teleports everyone away to safety, including Zola.

Safety is Paradise Island, and Hera isn’t done with her good deeds, as she revives all of the Amazons to be the Army. Wonder Woman delivers a rousing speech to her fellow Amazons, asking them to fight for her, not because she’s the Princess… but because she is the God Of War. Oh yes, there’s that mantle reclaiming we wanted! I had initially thought that Azzarello had bungled Wonder Woman becoming the new War, but I shouldn’t have done so, he waited until just the right moment, and man, those last few pages were just spine-tinglingly good. I can’t wait for the next issue, and to see how this team will wrap everything up. The Amazons are back, so that’s one big change restored, but what else will happen?

Chiang’s art was of course amazing, it’s getting a bit dull just heaping praise on him, but he’s just that good. All of the momentous events in this issue would mean nothing without a good artist, and he’s better than good. This was the best issue of DC’s best book, I can’t wait to go back and re-read it all when it’s done, it will be a complete story, and I won’t even have to think about Finch at all.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to Previews