Advertisement

Lazarus #7 (Women are worth more than horses Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: Shitlord

Lazarus #7 (Women are worth more than horses Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:51 pm

‘Lift’ continues to be a very exciting story, and even though I expected tragedy to hit the Barret family along their journey to Denver, it still hit hard. It really has been a great move from Rucka to have ‘Waste’ characters to focus on alongside Forever.

Just like the previous 2 issues of this arc, the story here begins with a flashback to young Forever, where she asks her teacher Marisol about what it’s like to fight in a war. We then see the next stage in Eve’s training, which is to be caned to shit by Marisol in order to teach her how to withstand pain. Eve doesn’t cry a single tear during the ordeal, but afterwards, she cries when Marisol tells her that if her father orders Eve to kill her, she should. These flashbacks have been excellent, they provide a great deal of explanation for Forever’s present-day character, and they also do a great job at showing just how much of a bastard her father is.

Back in the present day, Eve tries to interrogate the girl she arrested last issue, Emma, who could very well be part of a Terrorist Cell. Eve knows this because Emma doesn’t have an identity chip inside her at all. Forever doesn’t have much luck with her questioning however, as she has no leverage. There is nothing that she can threaten Emma with because her family and the world they live in has already taken everything she ever had. Man, the world of this book is so fucked-up.

Even more fucked-up is what happens to the Barrets who stop for the night in the middle of Wyoming. Desperate to get away from her brother and his girlfriend’s horrendous PDA, Leigh heads out into the night to feed the horses, but she stumbles across a gang of wild criminals who want to kidnap the women and do unspeakable shit to them. A violent shoot-out begins, all of the criminals are killed, but Joe is injured in the shoulder, and Leigh is killed. We’ve only known these characters for 3 issues, but this was still a very emotional scene that again showcases the unjustness of this world. The Barrets have risked a lot to try and be Lifted, and already it looks like it wasn’t worth it. The family ride on, with Joe seriously injured, but they soon come across a sign of civilisation, but it’s not a good sign. They find the convoy of other Waste heading to Denver and it’s stretching 102 miles from the city. Yeah, I don’t think they’ll have much luck.

Back with Forever, we see that she’s beginning a process of weeding out corruption in Los Angeles. She’s brought in Sgt Orioso, who appeared in the first arc, and promoted him to Commander of the LA Garrison. We already know that Johanna is up to no good, so it makes sense for Forever to bring in someone from outside her circle, someone Eve can trust. For as dodgy as Johanna is, she does have her uses, as we see her taking a crack at talking to Emma. She takes a different tack to Eve, and instead offers her, and her family a chance to be Lifted and become Serfs, she could become a dancer, or even an actress, as long as she can offer useful information. I’m surprised that Eve didn’t think of trying something like this before, but I suppose I can buy it, Johanna is probably bending the rules here. We don’t see Emma actually give anything up, but you can bet it’s coming.

Michael Lark’s artwork is still excellent, he really grounds the science fiction elements, and brings you right into the mindset of the characters. Thanks to his realistic art, it all feels very real, and that’s why the tragic scenes with the Barret family work so well. I also really liked the silent page that showed the various stages of the Barret’s journey. Rucka doesn’t need to use words here. This title is just awesome right now, you should all be reading it!

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Lazarus #7 (Women are worth more than horses Spoilers)

Postby Chessack » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Good review. I completely agree about the quality of this series. It is the best comic on the stands right now.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:47 am

It's funny... I have the first trade of this, and when I read it I had two reactions. Firstly, I recognised how good the book is: well written, fantastic world building, beautiful art. Secondly, I realised that despite all of that, I didn't care about the characters enough to be over-bothered about picking up volume 2 when it comes out. It's weird.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:12 am

Wow, really? I love Forever... she's complicated and interesting. Rucka didn't do a huge amount with the supporting cast in the first arc, but he's definitely added a bunch of good ones in the second.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand