Advertisement

Aquaman And The Others #1 Preview

This is the forum for previews. They'll also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 161 posts

Aquaman And The Others #1 Preview

Postby LOLtron » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Aquaman And The Others #1   Preview

Aquaman's second ongoing title starts here!

Source: Newsarama previews

Aquaman And The Others #1 

A “FUTURES END” prelude! Spinning out of AQUAMAN, the King of Atlantis and his teammates find themselves targeted by an unknown foe that wants their Atlantean artifacts! Don’t miss the start of this all-new series !

Written by:  Dan Jurgens
Art by:  Lan Medina, Allen Martinez
Cover by:  Joe Prado, Ivan Reis
Variant Cover by:  Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund
32 pages
$2.99  (US)
On sale:  April 2, 2014

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Re: Aquaman And The Others #1 Preview

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm

I'll give it a go, but Dan Jurgens writing it doesn't fill me with hope.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 am

Medina's artwork here looks like Reis. That's a very good thing.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:31 am

syxxpakk wrote:I'll give it a go, but Dan Jurgens writing it doesn't fill me with hope.

I feel the exact same way.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Evan Meadow wrote:Medina's artwork here looks like Reis. That's a very good thing.

After reading this I'd say that Medina's art more closely resembles Pelletier's but it's still good on it's own merit.

Fear not, kids. Jurgens' writing isn't bad and the plot moves pretty smoothly. Basically The Others are under attack by someone who wants the Atlantean relics they possess. For some reason
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
the relics all are now powerless.

And another mystery unfolds as Kahina's husband goes to visit his sister-in-law in a psychiatric hospital just as she is kidnapped by the same group that has been attacking The Others. Somehow she has has been having visions of
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
the upcoming DC event "Future's End".

Color me curious 8)
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Does the world really need another Aquaman book? Is he really that popular? I don't know, this book just seems destined to fail.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm

AngusH wrote:Does the world really need another Jurgens book? Is he really that popular? I don't know, this book just seems destined to fail.

How I feel about it.

TS Punk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby TS Punk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:53 pm

First issue was good enough that I am going to buy issue two, so we will see where it goes from there. I really don't see it lasting more than 10 or 12 issues though.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 pm

It might not last very long -- probably won't, if I'm being honest -- but I still think it's worth doing.

Companies still need to build worlds around their main characters. What has made Aquaman a second-tier character for so many years is that there has never really been any reason to view the character as important to all but a nameless/faceless set of Atlanteans who either love or hate him, depending on the day, Mera and Garth.

What makes Batman popular? Or Wolverine? There are many reasons, but some of them include the fact that their interactions with those around them have been so clearly defined over the years -- friendships, alliances, enemies, so on and so forth.

Even if this series lasts...oh, eight or 10 or 12 issues, it will still help to give Aquaman, if he appears often enough, another set of characters to interact with, which helps that character as much as it does define the Others.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 pm

That's a fair point and quite true re: world/character building. I have to say though that there are key elements to both the characters and histories of Batman and Wolverine that have played a big part in making them accessible/popular, while a character like Aquaman... well... I think what has kept him a 2nd-tier character is the nature of his character. I don't think a dude from a Kingdom under the sea is ever going to be a lasting 1st tier character regardless of who is writing him, without significant retcons.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:00 pm

AngusH wrote:That's a fair point and quite true re: world/character building. I have to say though that there are key elements to both the characters and histories of Batman and Wolverine that have played a big part in making them accessible/popular, while a character like Aquaman... well... I think what has kept him a 2nd-tier character is the nature of his character. I don't think a dude from a Kingdom under the sea is ever going to be a lasting 1st tier character regardless of who is writing him, without significant retcons.

I totally see your point -- it is a little more difficult, because at some point with Aquaman, you do have to take it to oceans, and you're always going to lose some people when you do.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 pm

AngusH wrote:That's a fair point and quite true re: world/character building. I have to say though that there are key elements to both the characters and histories of Batman and Wolverine that have played a big part in making them accessible/popular, while a character like Aquaman... well... I think what has kept him a 2nd-tier character is the nature of his character. I don't think a dude from a Kingdom under the sea is ever going to be a lasting 1st tier character regardless of who is writing him, without significant retcons.

It doesn't help that DC did little to really make Atlantis interesting for the longest time. It's just been a generic sci-fi/fantasy place under the sea.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 am

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm

That is his favorite word, isn't it? :lol:

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 101 posts
Title: HRUNK!