Advertisement

Kid Colt Outlaw

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Kid Colt Outlaw

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Apparently, it reached 229 issues--no small achievement--and yet I can say that I've never read or even flipped through an issue. In fact, I know zero about this character.

I'm not going to check it out or anything, but has anyone read some of this series? Amoebas? Chap? Cat Scratch? One of the super old farts around here must have read this book periodically.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 938 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Kid Colt Outlaw

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Apparently, it reached 229 issues--no small achievement--and yet I can say that I've never read or even flipped through an issue. In fact, I know zero about this character.

I'm not going to check it out or anything, but has anyone read some of this series? Amoebas? Chap? Cat Scratch? One of the super old farts around here must have read this book periodically.

First, let me clear away that large pile of dust I just farted...

Okay, the series began back in either the 1950s or late 40 during the Atlas era of Marvel. Back then, Westerns were popular and Marvel had a pretty good number of characters. Some, such as the original Ghost Rider began with another publisher and got bought, but for Kid Colt, I think this was not so. I think Kirby may have had a run on the character as well as John Severin back in the 60s. The series was mostly a bimonthly and yes, it was printed through the 60s although I think there were blips and a number of issues were just reprints of older material. This was mostly so for the 70s and it was on Marvel's many reprint titles, despite the title. Kind of like X-Men for a while there. Basically, if I'm recalling correctly, he was a good guy, cowboy. Typical western formula. His most modern appearance back then was in the pages of the Avengers during the Perez era and the Kang story. He helped Hawkeye beat Kang in the old west and traveled to present day to hang out with Hawkeye and the Avengers for a while. Now, he's gay. Or was in the recent mini.

Two-Gun Kid, Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt and Ghost Rider were the big western characters that I can recall.

I read some of the reprints as a kid back in the 70s. What can I say, I was seriously bored. Also, Kirby western artwork... funky.

Helps?

Come to think about it, it may have been Kid Colt that went forward in time, and yes, whom I first described. Basically, they all had some sort of schtick.

Same with the DC western characters.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 am

I have honestly never read a single issue of any of Marvel's old Old West comics. my knowledge of those guys is mostly from Avengers time travel stories (due to which I can state with absolute assuredness that the Old Doctor has Kid Colt mixed up, at least somewhat, with alternately Two-Gun Kid and Rawhide Kid; Two-Gun is the one who came to the present to hang out with Hawkeye in 70s Avengers, and did it again more recently in Slott's She-Hulk book to hang with Shulkie, while Rawhide is the one who is gay now...maybe, I don't know if Marvel ever retconned that or not). I actually know Two-Gun, Rawhide kid, and Ghost/Phantom Rider a lot better than I know Colt.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

The Old Doctor likes this post.

Bond Hengbu
Post Whore

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 am

Were any of those old western comics innovative in terms of story?
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 am

chap22 wrote:I have honestly never read a single issue of any of Marvel's old Old West comics. my knowledge of those guys is mostly from Avengers time travel stories (due to which I can state with absolute assuredness that the Old Doctor has Kid Colt mixed up, at least somewhat, with alternately Two-Gun Kid and Rawhide Kid; Two-Gun is the one who came to the present to hang out with Hawkeye in 70s Avengers, and did it again more recently in Slott's She-Hulk book to hang with Shulkie, while Rawhide is the one who is gay now...maybe, I don't know if Marvel ever retconned that or not). I actually know Two-Gun, Rawhide kid, and Ghost/Phantom Rider a lot better than I know Colt.

Yeah, I realized afterwards that I was confusing them. Always have. They're so to the bone arch-type for me.

Ghost/Phantom/Night Rider... so silly with the re-namings.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am

Bond Hengbu wrote:Were any of those old western comics innovative in terms of story?

Nope. Formula.

BUT, they had some talent at the artwork that make them worth a look at.

For western comics... I'd say the DC stuff from the late 60s and 70s was generally better. But then, it was still not that great, but for the artwork. Nick Cardy covers...

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 475 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 am

I was into them for a very short period of time, maybe a couple years tops after I first started reading comics.

I was a true Marvel Zombie originally with the exception of the war & western titles. That changed when this classic came out...

I bought every Marvel Western after this arc and I even went into back issue bins looking for books - especially ones with Brer Hawkeye's buddy, the Two Gun Kid (the one Marvel Western hero who didn't have a reprint book at the time). They were fun and a quick read, but then...

I discovered DC and with that came a few issues of DC's western titles. And when compared to Scalp Hunter and Jonah Hex, characters like Kid Colt and Rawhide Kid were just too generic with formula story-telling (and oft times lack luster art whenever Kirby or Ayres wasn't involved).

Around 1990 I lucked into a huge comic collection that had a ton of the original issues from the early 60's. I may have opened three or four in all these years.

DC Western >>> Marvel Western (by miles).

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Don't forget this appearance of the Two-Gun Kid (even if it was only in flashback) :-D

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Amoebas wrote:I was into them for a very short period of time, maybe a couple years tops after I first started reading comics.

I was a true Marvel Zombie originally with the exception of the war & western titles.

You followed the romance titles? :lol:

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:

I'm not that old :smt013

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:

Pre Hellcat Patsy is crap.

What? :smt102

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
Pre Hellcat Patsy is crap.

What? :smt102

Hank McCoy was all falling over the Pre-Hellcat Patsy.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Amoebas wrote:Hank McCoy was all falling over the Pre-Hellcat Patsy.

She was just a cheap fill in for the unavailable Jean Grey. Patsy would wear the costumes too.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 am

Amoebas wrote:Image

I have this issue. In fact, I have all the issues back then. I remember almost nothing about them.

Anyway, thanks for all the info on Kid Colt.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am

Amoebas wrote:Hank McCoy was all falling over the Pre-Hellcat Patsy.

Monday night, I was reading the recap of these events in Avengers #144 - George Perez didn't redraw this particular scene! :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand