Advertisement

A Different Take On Flashpoint

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8993
Likes: 1142 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

I was thinking about Flashpoint awhile back and originally I had thought the whole event would have been about the Speed Force exactly. Instead we got a Zero Hour/ Infinite Crisis riff which I didn't care for myself. I personally thought Johns was going to do to Flash what he did with the Green Lantern books which was to expand on the Flash mythos and have it branch out a bit. The premise would have been if the Flash and the other Speedsters would have faced the Black Flash and the other Speedsters who were evil( Reverse Flash, Savitar, Rival, etc), which would lead to a Speed Force war. In an objective view, could have that worked or not? Like I said, I didn't like Flashpoint much, but would this alternate take here have worked or not? You decide.

The Old Doctor likes this post.

Advertisement

MrBlack
User avatar
WTF is this rank?
 
Posts: 11305
Likes: 28 posts
Liked in: 99 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am


Online


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby MrBlack » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am

I think that could have been an interesting story, but it runs entirely counter to what Johns ended up doing with the Flash mythos upon Barry's return. Which was, of course, to completely dump it in favor of making everything about Saint Barry.

Scintillant-H
User avatar
Post Whore
 
Posts: 1074
Likes: 997 posts
Liked in: 81 posts
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 pm
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

Having not liked Flashpoint, anything that makes it different, I'm all for.

And that does sound kind of interesting. :D
Image

Draco x likes this post.

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 20666
Likes: 199 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Amoebas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 am

I think most don't like Flashpoint because of what came after it (despite for the first EVER, the phrase, "this will forever change the (fill-in name) universe" actually was true).

As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

The mini mini's around Flashpoint were also good (especially the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war).

As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.

Draco x likes this post.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8466
Likes: 555 posts
Liked in: 995 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am

Amoebas wrote:As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.


The Speed Force is still around in the New 52, they just stripped away any explanation that was given to it's existence prior to Flashpoint, so it's back to being some poorly defined plot device that allows Barry to do whatever they need him to do whenever they need him to do it.
ImageImageImage

Scintillant-H
User avatar
Post Whore
 
Posts: 1074
Likes: 997 posts
Liked in: 81 posts
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 pm
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

Amoebas wrote:I think most don't like Flashpoint because of what came after it (despite for the first EVER, the phrase, "this will forever change the (fill-in name) universe" actually was true).

As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

The mini mini's around Flashpoint were also good (especially the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war).

As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.


Although I get the story, I choose not to connect flashpoint with Nu52. They're not the same, so why lump them in with each other?
I liked the art, but it wasn't anything to admire, even from the dislike standpoint.

Though it sounds like you liked it, and that's the one good thing about bad products. :)
Image

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67197
Likes: 1000 posts
Liked in: 785 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

I avoided Flashpoint because of it being as you said, a cliche and a bad one at that. I hate it as it result in the present state of DC Comics. Little if any good came out of it.

Johns also, would have been basically copying Waid if he did what you suggested. It was Waid that brought in the Speed Force and the rest of the speedsters into the Flash family. Revisiting it and expanding would have been nice, but again, seem cliche.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Draco x likes this post.

ElijahSnowFan
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1843
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 63 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I wanted to break something, when Professor Zoom was mocking Barry for not knowing how to use his powers well enough -- basically, for being incompetent -- and fucking up the entire timeline.

Yeah, there have been multiple resets in DC continuity, and TBH, most of them have been a result of "heroes gone bad."

But none of them were due to basic incompetence, and that's why I dislike Flashpoint to this day, and always will.
Image

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

2 people like this post.

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 70311
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 524 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Amoebas wrote:As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

The mini mini's around Flashpoint were also good (especially the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war).


I think Amoebas read a Flashpointed version of Flashpoint :shock:
Image Image Image ImageImage

Amoebas likes this post.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8993
Likes: 1142 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I wanted to break something, when Professor Zoom was mocking Barry for not knowing how to use his powers well enough -- basically, for being incompetent -- and fucking up the entire timeline.

Yeah, there have been multiple resets in DC continuity, and TBH, most of them have been a result of "heroes gone bad."

But none of them were due to basic incompetence, and that's why I dislike Flashpoint to this day, and always will.


Hand clap for this post.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8993
Likes: 1142 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm

MrBlack wrote:I think that could have been an interesting story, but it runs entirely counter to what Johns ended up doing with the Flash mythos upon Barry's return. Which was, of course, to completely dump it in favor of making everything about Saint Barry.


Precisely on point here.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8993
Likes: 1142 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Having not liked Flashpoint, anything that makes it different, I'm all for.

And that does sound kind of interesting. :D



Thanks.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8466
Likes: 555 posts
Liked in: 995 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I wanted to break something, when Professor Zoom was mocking Barry for not knowing how to use his powers well enough -- basically, for being incompetent -- and fucking up the entire timeline.

Yeah, there have been multiple resets in DC continuity, and TBH, most of them have been a result of "heroes gone bad."

But none of them were due to basic incompetence, and that's why I dislike Flashpoint to this day, and always will.


I think the thing that frustrates me the most about Flashpoint isn't the ridiculous idea that Barry Allen would abuse time travel in such a manner as to cause Flashpoint to begin with or even the fact that it created the New 52. What frustrates me the most is the blanket explanation that was given for the changes that were made to the DCU as a result of Flashpoint. Call me crazy but for the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the magnitude of the changes that were made to the past and the present of the entirety of the DC Multiverse as a result of Flashpoint even when you account for the tampering of Pandora.
ImageImageImage

Draco x likes this post.

Draco x
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8993
Likes: 1142 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Grayson wrote:
I think the thing that frustrates me the most about Flashpoint isn't the ridiculous idea that Barry Allen would abuse time travel in such a manner as to cause Flashpoint to begin with or even the fact that it created the New 52. What frustrates me the most is the blanket explanation that was given for the changes that were made to the DCU as a result of Flashpoint. Call me crazy but for the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the magnitude of the changes that were made to the past and the present of the entirety of the DC Multiverse as a result of Flashpoint even when you account for the tampering of Pandora.


Hand clap for this post.

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14798
Likes: 4036 posts
Liked in: 567 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby HNutz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Draco x wrote:
Hand clap for this post.


Draco x wrote:
Precisely on point here.


Draco x wrote:
Hand clap for this post.


You know, you can "Like" posts now. ;)

Scintillant-H likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN NewsBlogs and 54 guests

Advertisement