Advertisement

A Different Take On Flashpoint

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 326 posts

A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

I was thinking about Flashpoint awhile back and originally I had thought the whole event would have been about the Speed Force exactly. Instead we got a Zero Hour/ Infinite Crisis riff which I didn't care for myself. I personally thought Johns was going to do to Flash what he did with the Green Lantern books which was to expand on the Flash mythos and have it branch out a bit. The premise would have been if the Flash and the other Speedsters would have faced the Black Flash and the other Speedsters who were evil( Reverse Flash, Savitar, Rival, etc), which would lead to a Speed Force war. In an objective view, could have that worked or not? Like I said, I didn't like Flashpoint much, but would this alternate take here have worked or not? You decide.

The Old Doctor likes this post.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Re: A Different Take On Flashpoint

Postby MrBlack » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am

I think that could have been an interesting story, but it runs entirely counter to what Johns ended up doing with the Flash mythos upon Barry's return. Which was, of course, to completely dump it in favor of making everything about Saint Barry.

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

Having not liked Flashpoint, anything that makes it different, I'm all for.

And that does sound kind of interesting. :D

Draco x likes this post.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 am

I think most don't like Flashpoint because of what came after it (despite for the first EVER, the phrase, "this will forever change the (fill-in name) universe" actually was true).

As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

The mini mini's around Flashpoint were also good (especially the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war).

As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.

Draco x likes this post.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am

Amoebas wrote:As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.

The Speed Force is still around in the New 52, they just stripped away any explanation that was given to it's existence prior to Flashpoint, so it's back to being some poorly defined plot device that allows Barry to do whatever they need him to do whenever they need him to do it.
ImageImageImage

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

Amoebas wrote:I think most don't like Flashpoint because of what came after it (despite for the first EVER, the phrase, "this will forever change the (fill-in name) universe" actually was true).

As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

The mini mini's around Flashpoint were also good (especially the Aquaman/Wonder Woman war).

As for Draco's all out Speedfest Battle Royale - anything to get rid of the Speed Force works for me. Never liked the concept.

Although I get the story, I choose not to connect flashpoint with Nu52. They're not the same, so why lump them in with each other?
I liked the art, but it wasn't anything to admire, even from the dislike standpoint.

Though it sounds like you liked it, and that's the one good thing about bad products. :)

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 785 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

I avoided Flashpoint because of it being as you said, a cliche and a bad one at that. I hate it as it result in the present state of DC Comics. Little if any good came out of it.

Johns also, would have been basically copying Waid if he did what you suggested. It was Waid that brought in the Speed Force and the rest of the speedsters into the Flash family. Revisiting it and expanding would have been nice, but again, seem cliche.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Draco x likes this post.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I wanted to break something, when Professor Zoom was mocking Barry for not knowing how to use his powers well enough -- basically, for being incompetent -- and fucking up the entire timeline.

Yeah, there have been multiple resets in DC continuity, and TBH, most of them have been a result of "heroes gone bad."

But none of them were due to basic incompetence, and that's why I dislike Flashpoint to this day, and always will.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

2 people like this post.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Amoebas wrote:As for the mini itself - a well written and good story that was drawn pretty darn good. I liked it a lot (but then I'm a Barry fan (not that I'm not a Wally fan, it's just that the last year plus Wally Flash stories were more about his kids when I wanted to read about the Flash.

I think Amoebas read a Flashpointed version of Flashpoint :shock:
Image Image Image ImageImage

Amoebas likes this post.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I wanted to break something, when Professor Zoom was mocking Barry for not knowing how to use his powers well enough -- basically, for being incompetent -- and fucking up the entire timeline.

Yeah, there have been multiple resets in DC continuity, and TBH, most of them have been a result of "heroes gone bad."

But none of them were due to basic incompetence, and that's why I dislike Flashpoint to this day, and always will.

Hand clap for this post.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm

MrBlack wrote:I think that could have been an interesting story, but it runs entirely counter to what Johns ended up doing with the Flash mythos upon Barry's return. Which was, of course, to completely dump it in favor of making everything about Saint Barry.

Precisely on point here.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Having not liked Flashpoint, anything that makes it different, I'm all for.

And that does sound kind of interesting. :D

Thanks.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Thought Flashpoint was ridiculous -- not necessarily because it changed everything. But because it had Barry Allen fucking up time travel as the reason.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most about Flashpoint isn't the ridiculous idea that Barry Allen would abuse time travel in such a manner as to cause Flashpoint to begin with or even the fact that it created the New 52. What frustrates me the most is the blanket explanation that was given for the changes that were made to the DCU as a result of Flashpoint. Call me crazy but for the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the magnitude of the changes that were made to the past and the present of the entirety of the DC Multiverse as a result of Flashpoint even when you account for the tampering of Pandora.
ImageImageImage

Draco x likes this post.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Grayson wrote:
I think the thing that frustrates me the most about Flashpoint isn't the ridiculous idea that Barry Allen would abuse time travel in such a manner as to cause Flashpoint to begin with or even the fact that it created the New 52. What frustrates me the most is the blanket explanation that was given for the changes that were made to the DCU as a result of Flashpoint. Call me crazy but for the life of me I just can't wrap my head around the magnitude of the changes that were made to the past and the present of the entirety of the DC Multiverse as a result of Flashpoint even when you account for the tampering of Pandora.

Hand clap for this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 567 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Draco x wrote:
Hand clap for this post.

Draco x wrote:
Precisely on point here.

Draco x wrote:
Hand clap for this post.