Advertisement

Hey Chap - Re: Avengers Undercover #3 (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Hey Chap - Re: Avengers Undercover #3 (Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 pm

I this thread:

the-news-stand/new-marvel-now-series-t101679-15.html

we had this conversation:

Stephen Day wrote:I don't mind Avengers Undercover, but I want more Zemo and less Arcade dammit.

chap22 wrote:Spoilers for issue 3: I don't think that's gonna be a problem for you anymore.

Stephen Day wrote:I haven't read issue #3 yet, but good. The series was sold to me as something dealing with young heroes and Zemo and the Masters of Evil. I don't hate Arcade, but Zemo is what sold me on this series.

chap22 wrote:Yeah, I think 3 should make you happy. ;)

I've read issue #3 now and my response would be that you're right, but you're also wrong. I'm happy that Arcade is out of the way (I wasn't surprised to see him get killed off), and that the plot has shifted to Zemo's plans. I have to say though, I'm still not happy that it took three issues to get the story to the point that this series was advertised as being about with the solicitations for the first issue.

The first issue was good and set things up nicely. Zemo not appearing until the last page didn't bother me as the Murder World survivors are supposed to be the main focus. The first issue was needed to establish them and their reasons for searching out Zemo and his Masters of Evil. My problem has been with issues #2 and #3. There was a hell of a lot of stuff that could have been, and should have been, edited down. The two issues could easily have been combined into a single issue. I recognize that what happened here needed to happen in a lot of ways, but it didn't need to be told over the course of two issues.

As an example, this issue was essentially one big fight sequence leading up to Hazmat killing Arcade. Arcade is not the main villain of this series and there's no real good reason why this fight should have been as long as it was. There really was no need for it to take up an entire issue. If this fight sequence had been shortened, along with some other things that I saw being equally too long in length from issue #2, the two issues could have been combined into one. This issue could so easily have been about Zemo's recruitment of the Murder World survivors in the wake of Arcade's death.

Having said all of that, am I enjoying this series so far? I enjoyed the first issue, and had some problems with the second and third, but fully expect to enjoy the read from this point forward. The start has been a little rocky, but it still looks like it's going to be a fun series.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Re: Hey Chap - Re: Avengers Undercover #3 (Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:09 pm

The bastardization of the Runaways continues. :smt011
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

RoosterHardwood
Opera Singer

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Cock of the Walk

Postby RoosterHardwood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm

So I keep meaning to read this because I adore Nico, but I did not enjoy Arena. How are the former Runaways being bastardized? Will I cry?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:19 am

re: the OP,

Yeah, Stephen, I agree they probably could've condensed 2 and 3 into one issue (I agree with you, #2 felt largely pointless), but I really liked a lot of what was in issue 3 and don't know how much of that I would've cut. the interactions between Cammi and Nico and everyone else arguing what to do about Arcade really stood out to me as important, necessary scenes for what t his book promises to be, namely an examination of just what these kids have inside them, and whether they will truly end up heroes or turn to evil as has long been expected of basically all of them. I also loved the bits showing Zemo and his new "masters" (Constrictor? really, Helmut? kinda scraping barrel-bottom for new recruits, aren't we? :lol: ) watching and betting on the kids...some good character bits there too.

regardless, it's clear by that last page that this series is gonna immediately move to typical Zemo-machinations mode next, and that excites me greatly.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Arcade is dead? :shock: Bout frickin' time.

I've been a Zemo fan since his Phoenix days - I might check this out.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am

RoosterHardwood wrote:So I keep meaning to read this because I adore Nico, but I did not enjoy Arena. How are the former Runaways being bastardized? Will I cry?

They aren't really being bastardised. Chase is being a bit of a dick, but that's it.

It's better than Whedon's run!

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:16 pm

RoosterHardwood wrote:So I keep meaning to read this because I adore Nico, but I did not enjoy Arena. How are the former Runaways being bastardized? Will I cry?

If you like the Runaways stay away FAR FAR AWAY. Same with Avengers Academy. Its as bad as Arena if not more so.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Punchy wrote:
They aren't really being bastardised. Chase is being a bit of a dick, but that's it.

It's better than Whedon's run!

Not even close to as bad as Whedon's run.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Amoebas wrote:Arcade is dead? :shock: Bout frickin' time.

I've been a Zemo fan since his Phoenix days - I might check this out.

He's died before he'll die again.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 187 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I've enjoyed Runaways, Avengers Academy, Arena, and this series. I really don't see the "bastardization." You're talking about characters who have tough lives so there are going to be tough decisions made by them. Not every character has to be Spider-Man or Superman.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Seriously characters are allowed to change. It may not seem like it reading Marvel/DC but this is far from a "bastardisation"

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 376 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm

chap22 wrote:regardless, it's clear by that last page that this series is gonna immediately move to typical Zemo-machinations mode next, and that excites me greatly.

In the end this is the most important point. :-D

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand