Monday, May 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not Multiversity!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Did anybody else read Futures End #1 today? (spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Again, there might be spoilers to come in this thing. Be warned!

But really, I'm just curious if anybody else picked it up.

I did, and I have some thoughts, but it's only one issue in -- two, if you count the Zero issue which I do not have -- and I don't want to be overly negative early.

But I am curious who might be reading this thing, for the purpose of future discussion.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 pm

I read it.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I read it.


Quick question: Do you have any clue if the Zero issue is online anywhere? It's free, so I wouldn't feel guilty about reading it somewhere. It's not on Comixology or the DC website, which makes no sense to me -- it's freaking free.
User avatar

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:18 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?


Got me on that one; I wouldn't be doing it for the exact reasons you just stated.

I'm reading it, TBH, in the hopes that it helps pull together some of the lesser characters who are going to be in it like Grifter, who is a longtime favorite, as well as Mr. Terrific, who is also a favorite.

DC...maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I just have this basic feeling when I read DC books that they're jittery. Like they don't really know what they want to do, now that the relaunch is a fading memory and they are 30 issues or more into this thing.

Shared universe? Separate stories? How much interaction, or how little? Continuity? No continuity, as in do we ignore everything that a previous creator did?

I just get the feel that DC, with Futures End...I think they desperately don't want to end up where they were with the previous version of the DC Universe...but they don't really know where they want to go, either. So you keep "Crisising" the line until you figure it out.

That's just my feel.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed May 07, 2014 8:37 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?


Well, I have heard something along those lines...
User avatar

AngusH

crash test dummy

Postby AngusH » Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:DC...maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I just have this basic feeling when I read DC books that they're jittery. Like they don't really know what they want to do, now that the relaunch is a fading memory and they are 30 issues or more into this thing.

Shared universe? Separate stories? How much interaction, or how little? Continuity? No continuity, as in do we ignore everything that a previous creator did?

I just get the feel that DC, with Futures End...I think they desperately don't want to end up where they were with the previous version of the DC Universe...but they don't really know where they want to go, either. So you keep "Crisising" the line until you figure it out.

That's just my feel.


I agree with you. I think they rebooted, and then they've thought "OK, we have a clean sheet and 10,000 characters to work with, let's catch up ASAP."

The problem is, these characters came in to existence and evolved over a period of decades (or more), organically. Trying to force feed them all into the new 52 as quickly as possible has led to a glut of big, epic-sized events over, you know, actual stories. The idea shouldn't be to just try and advance everything to how it was pre-New 52 as soon as possible. Grow it.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 pm

The zero issue kind of creeped me out. I haven't read the current issue, but I have a pretty uneasy feeling about where this is heading.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 07, 2014 9:38 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?


Curiously, next year is COIE's 30th Anniversary.
Take that as you will.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 07, 2014 10:04 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.


The first 4 issues of Batman Eternal have been really good. Like Nu52 didn't happen good. I for one am enjoying it massively.
User avatar

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Curiously, next year is COIE's 30th Anniversary.
Take that as you will.



I take that as meaning...I'm old!!! Thanks for reminding me DC. :smt013
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 pm

I got the zero issue and I thought I was reading "DC Comics presents: How we'd do Age of Ultron with DC characters in the New 52!!!". Felt that way too.

The spider legged robotized heroes were even dumber than I expected btw.
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 am

AngusH wrote:I agree with you. I think they rebooted, and then they've thought "OK, we have a clean sheet and 10,000 characters to work with, let's catch up ASAP."

The problem is, these characters came in to existence and evolved over a period of decades (or more), organically. Trying to force feed them all into the new 52 as quickly as possible has led to a glut of big, epic-sized events over, you know, actual stories. The idea shouldn't be to just try and advance everything to how it was pre-New 52 as soon as possible. Grow it.


^^^ This.

They should have introduced the characters gradually.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am

Chessack wrote:
^^^ This.

They should have introduced the characters gradually.


People want Justice League today and not have to wait months/years for enough characters have been introduced for them to form. Given this, Teen Titans couldn't be published for that much longer. And Nightwing even longer from there.

People cry and bitch about Wally West, Donna Troy & that Stephanie girl not showing fast enough. Imagine what the fans of Guy Gardner, John Stewart & Kyle Raynor would be doing if they had to wait and wait and wait for the favorite characters to appear and eventually/maybe get a ring.

The only way a company wide reboot works is setting it at a time when enough of the pieces are in play. Anything else is just unrealistic.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Quick question: Do you have any clue if the Zero issue is online anywhere? It's free, so I wouldn't feel guilty about reading it somewhere. It's not on Comixology or the DC website, which makes no sense to me -- it's freaking free.


I haven't found it yet either.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 81 guests