Advertisement

Did anybody else read Futures End #1 today? (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Did anybody else read Futures End #1 today? (spoilers)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Again, there might be spoilers to come in this thing. Be warned!

But really, I'm just curious if anybody else picked it up.

I did, and I have some thoughts, but it's only one issue in -- two, if you count the Zero issue which I do not have -- and I don't want to be overly negative early.

But I am curious who might be reading this thing, for the purpose of future discussion.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 325 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Did anybody else read Futures End #1 today? (spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:03 pm

I read it.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I read it.

Quick question: Do you have any clue if the Zero issue is online anywhere? It's free, so I wouldn't feel guilty about reading it somewhere. It's not on Comixology or the DC website, which makes no sense to me -- it's freaking free.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?

HNutz likes this post.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:18 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Why reboot the universe if you are going to already have "near future" events? They should be building new stories and developing characters in new and interesting ways, rather than creating 'Age of Ultron'-esque crap that will not end up coming to pass, otherwise are we going to be reading references to events in these events across all DC books over the next 3-5 years? Or will all books just have a "5 years later" intro at some point?

Got me on that one; I wouldn't be doing it for the exact reasons you just stated.

I'm reading it, TBH, in the hopes that it helps pull together some of the lesser characters who are going to be in it like Grifter, who is a longtime favorite, as well as Mr. Terrific, who is also a favorite.

DC...maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I just have this basic feeling when I read DC books that they're jittery. Like they don't really know what they want to do, now that the relaunch is a fading memory and they are 30 issues or more into this thing.

Shared universe? Separate stories? How much interaction, or how little? Continuity? No continuity, as in do we ignore everything that a previous creator did?

I just get the feel that DC, with Futures End...I think they desperately don't want to end up where they were with the previous version of the DC Universe...but they don't really know where they want to go, either. So you keep "Crisising" the line until you figure it out.

That's just my feel.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 549 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed May 07, 2014 8:37 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm not reading, and to be honest, I think DC are making a mistake with Batman Eternal and Futures End.

Well, I have heard something along those lines...

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:DC...maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I just have this basic feeling when I read DC books that they're jittery. Like they don't really know what they want to do, now that the relaunch is a fading memory and they are 30 issues or more into this thing.

Shared universe? Separate stories? How much interaction, or how little? Continuity? No continuity, as in do we ignore everything that a previous creator did?

I just get the feel that DC, with Futures End...I think they desperately don't want to end up where they were with the previous version of the DC Universe...but they don't really know where they want to go, either. So you keep "Crisising" the line until you figure it out.

That's just my feel.

I agree with you. I think they rebooted, and then they've thought "OK, we have a clean sheet and 10,000 characters to work with, let's catch up ASAP."

The problem is, these characters came in to existence and evolved over a period of decades (or more), organically. Trying to force feed them all into the new 52 as quickly as possible has led to a glut of big, epic-sized events over, you know, actual stories. The idea shouldn't be to just try and advance everything to how it was pre-New 52 as soon as possible. Grow it.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 pm

The zero issue kind of creeped me out. I haven't read the current issue, but I have a pretty uneasy feeling about where this is heading.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 127 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Curiously, next year is COIE's 30th Anniversary.
Take that as you will.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 07, 2014 10:04 pm

The first 4 issues of Batman Eternal have been really good. Like Nu52 didn't happen good. I for one am enjoying it massively.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 118 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Curiously, next year is COIE's 30th Anniversary.
Take that as you will.

I take that as meaning...I'm old!!! Thanks for reminding me DC. :smt013

Mr. Log likes this post.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed May 07, 2014 11:47 pm

I got the zero issue and I thought I was reading "DC Comics presents: How we'd do Age of Ultron with DC characters in the New 52!!!". Felt that way too.

The spider legged robotized heroes were even dumber than I expected btw.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 345 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 am

AngusH wrote:I agree with you. I think they rebooted, and then they've thought "OK, we have a clean sheet and 10,000 characters to work with, let's catch up ASAP."

The problem is, these characters came in to existence and evolved over a period of decades (or more), organically. Trying to force feed them all into the new 52 as quickly as possible has led to a glut of big, epic-sized events over, you know, actual stories. The idea shouldn't be to just try and advance everything to how it was pre-New 52 as soon as possible. Grow it.

^^^ This.

They should have introduced the characters gradually.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am

Chessack wrote:
^^^ This.

They should have introduced the characters gradually.

People want Justice League today and not have to wait months/years for enough characters have been introduced for them to form. Given this, Teen Titans couldn't be published for that much longer. And Nightwing even longer from there.

People cry and bitch about Wally West, Donna Troy & that Stephanie girl not showing fast enough. Imagine what the fans of Guy Gardner, John Stewart & Kyle Raynor would be doing if they had to wait and wait and wait for the favorite characters to appear and eventually/maybe get a ring.

The only way a company wide reboot works is setting it at a time when enough of the pieces are in play. Anything else is just unrealistic.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 325 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Quick question: Do you have any clue if the Zero issue is online anywhere? It's free, so I wouldn't feel guilty about reading it somewhere. It's not on Comixology or the DC website, which makes no sense to me -- it's freaking free.

I haven't found it yet either.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand