Advertisement

Fondest Memory of a Comics Event

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Fondest Memory of a Comics Event

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 09, 2014 9:25 am

With the release of Original Sin #1, I started thinking about all the major, mostly summertime events that the Big Two have released over the years. And I realized that I've been reading these universe-shattering story lines for 30 years now. Secret Wars, if I remember correctly, was the very first event book that I followed avidly. That was back in 1984.

Then I started to think about all the events that I have read since: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Wars II, Ten Nights of the Beast, Evolutionary War, Inferno, Infinity Gauntlet, Second Clone Saga, and so on. Since the late '80s, every year has seen the publication of several event books, major crossovers, maxi-series--or whatever you want to call them--that promise, and sometimes even deliver, world-altering outcomes. The Big Two have put out so many of these books, in fact, that you could easily compile a top 100 list of events. And readers could argue endlessly over not only which books are best, but also which books qualify as events.

And finally, I tried to think of which event, however defined, I enjoyed most as the story unfolded. Which book, issue after issue, sparked in me the emotional glee of "Oh my God, what will happen next? I can't wait to find out. I have no idea how this impossible situation can ever be resolved." Most events, even the mediocre ones, start off this way. The opening issue promises so much--a cool premise, an unusual pairing of heroes, and high-stakes threats--but all too often they lose momentum (Secret Invasion) or they fall apart and resort to contrived plot devices (Civil War/One More Day) to resolve the action.

So, because of the abundance of truly mediocre events, I didn't have to think hard or long to select my favorite one. It's easily Kraven's Last Hunt. I know, I know ... it's a classic, regarded as one of the very best superhero stories of all time, so that makes it an easy choice. A safe choice. But it's also my favorite event because I remember how it was released: each week, for three weeks each month, over a two-month period, a new chapter would come out. Every Wednesday, as the newest Spidey issue hit the shelves, whether it was Web, Amazing, or Spectacular, I would race to my local comics shop and pick up the latest installment. And I would read the issue in the shop before purchasing my books, because I had to find out what happened next. I'm not sure any story, in any medium, has ever excited me more. Maybe the early seasons of 24 or the very best episodes of Breaking Bad are comparable. But that's about it. And those shows, even at their best, couldn't sustain that level of tension through an entire season.

Kraven's Last Hunt is perfect. But more important, it was perfect. Perfect writing. Perfect art. And maybe, equally important, a perfect publication schedule that unfolded over a tight, white-knuckled, two-month period in 1987. Nothing before or since has ever possessed me more. No story has ever been so consuming, so addictive. And I probably continue to read comics to this day, three decades later, because I keep longing for stories that can reignite some of that excitement. It won't ever happen, of course. But it's fun looking and hoping.

HNutz likes this post.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 271 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Fondest Memory of a Comics Event

Postby Rockman » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

My fondest memory is for a truly terrible event and that's Maximum Carnage.

I actually think the whole event was released long before I even started buying comics here and there but I thought it was so cool with all the villains, and at the time Venom and Carnage were the best. They even had a video game based on this event.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am

This is not necessarily the sort of event I think the OP was talking about, but for me when I think of my fondest memory of a comics event, it was in the summer of 1976 when Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man was released. I still geek out over that book!
"The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury."
~Marcus Aurelius

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 am

Certainly nothing in the last 10 years or so.

All-time favourite though, without doubt, is Crisis on Infinite Earths. 12 issues of pure epic - I really couldn't wait for each issue. All you needed to read were those 12 issues, no tenuous spin-offs required and top quality writing and art from Wolfman & Perez. A real epic with actual major long-lasting changes. Not all of them great, I'll grant you, especially what was the start of a long lingering (decades long) death for the Legion. I was also sorry to see the demise of Earth-2 and the likes of the All-Star Squadron & the JSA but COIE itself was everything I think comics should be.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 am

UnionJack wrote:Certainly nothing in the last 10 years or so.

All-time favourite though, without doubt, is Crisis on Infinite Earths. 12 issues of pure epic - I really couldn't wait for each issue. All you needed to read were those 12 issues, no tenuous spin-offs required and top quality writing and art from Wolfman & Perez. A real epic with actual major long-lasting changes. Not all of them great, I'll grant you, especially what was the start of a long lingering (decades long) death for the Legion. I was also sorry to see the demise of Earth-2 and the likes of the All-Star Squadron & the JSA but COIE itself was everything I think comics should be.

That was a goody! That really got me steadily reading DC comics for the first time in my life. Up until then I was primarily a Marvel reader.

I also enjoyed Marvel's Secret Wars which was running around the same time.
~Marcus Aurelius

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

Honestly, I can't think of any that were truly great. All of the classic, wonderful stories I remember most fondly were in-series story arcs -- Simonson's Beta Ray Bill/Surtur stuff... The Rom: Spaceknight Hybrid arcs... The Dark Phoenix saga... Body and Soul from Peter David (Supergirl)... The Drupsa Tau arc from Hawk and Dove... None of those are crossovers or events. They're just damn good stories.

In terms of events... it's mostly ugh. Secret Wars sucked. Premise sucked. Characterizations were terrible (Shooter got onto my shit list that year and has never gotten off of it).

Crisis had awesome art and was fairly well written, and I was right there with them... until after they reset the continuity, the old stuff had somehow "still happened." The logic fell completely apart, and they lost me on the last couple of issues. I will say one thing I respect is that, although they killed off my favorite character, they did it well. Original Kara's death is probably the ONLY well-done superhero death I've ever read. All the rest of them have been awful.

Everything else that I can think of has been complete and utter dreck. Secret Wars II was laughable it was so bad. The Illyana-Madelyne Pryor thing (I can't even remember the name of it) made me stop reading Marvel Comics it was so terrible. Zero Hour, Final Night, Millennium Giants... Death of Superman... you name the event, it sucked. They're universally HORRIBLE.

I can't think of a single one that was great. I would give most of them a D or an F grade. I'd give Crisis a B-... mostly for Perez's art, and for the issue 1-7 part of the story. After that it faltered and it went completely off the rails in 11-12.

And this is why I have sworn off all events, gimmicks, and crossovers. I buy series. Period. If something "bleeds over" into one of the last couple of series from DC that I collect, or the one from Marvel, I will buy the issue, accept that the story will confuse me, and on subsequent re-reads of the full series, ignore that issue (like I do with the Millennium Giants issue of the Peter David Supergirl run). But I will NOT buy extra issues, mini-series, event gimmick comics, etc. I am done with that shit. Permanently.

Schlemmer likes this post.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 73 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am

Infinity Gauntlet is my "warm & fuzzy" event.

It's what got me buying super-hero comics in my youth. Prior to that I mostly just read the G.I. Joe comics I could get at the grocery store, with the occasional Batman or Spider-Man.

I still get excited whenever I flip through it.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 am

I got into comics pretty late. My first big event, and the thing that led me into comics, was Identity Crisis. The mystery aspect really drew me to it, and I remember how excited I was to grab the final issue the day it came out. The lead-up to Infinite Crisis gave me nearly the same level of excitement, even if the story ultimately fell flat. 52 was a balm to soothe that burn, but nothing since then has come close to generating as much excitement for me as those final issues of Identity Crisis and Final Crisis.

Actually, the end of the first "season" of Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye gave me nearly that same feeling, even if it wasn't an event.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 am

Crisis on Infinite Earths, hands down. I started reading Secret Wars first, and loved it at the time (even though I had a lot of problems with it). Then I started reading COIE and was blown away. I remember thinking "THIS is what a 12 issue mini series could/should be...Secret Wars sucks in comparison!" I bought a lot of Crisis crossovers, too, especially GL.

To this day, I can still reread COIE, but SW is ... not good. There are moments in SW I do love, admittedly, and I'm glad I read the full series (many times). It's not really fair to compare them. A better comparison for SW would the the Super Powers books, DC's series made entirely to sell toys like Secret Wars. COIE had a larger purpose, so of course it's going to be more complex, more enjoyable.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 am

The last recent event I found myself truly enjoying was the JLA/Avengers mini-series. Just wonderfully well done, I thought.
~Marcus Aurelius

UnionJack likes this post.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 am

Can we count the original OHOTMU as an event? It certainly felt like one at the time. I couldn't wait for the next issue of each one of those.

2 people like this post.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 am

Rob Thompson wrote:The last recent event I found myself truly enjoying was the JLA/Avengers mini-series. Just wonderfully well done, I thought.

Yes, how did I forget that? For some reason I wasn't considering it as an event. It was fantastic - I liked it so much I bought the Absolute version.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Postby Rob Thompson » Fri May 09, 2014 11:27 am

UnionJack wrote:
Yes, how did I forget that? For some reason I wasn't considering it as an event. It was fantastic - I liked it so much I bought the Absolute version.

Me too! :D
~Marcus Aurelius

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Fri May 09, 2014 11:41 am

What got me back in comics was Alan Davis on Excalibur; I picked up a copy of the Cross Time Caper storyline, and was hooked!

I bought up all the back issues, and was excited each new issue, even tolerating the delays and substitute artists.

Then Davis left Excalibur....

But still, fond memories!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 244 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am

Legends, JLAvengers, Legion of 3 Worlds, 52, Annihiliation, Sinestro Corp War, Amalgam Comics - so many excellent 'events' - but one stands above them...

PS: (It's just me, but I don't consider Kraven's Hunt an 'Event' in the conventional term)

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand