Advertisement

If there were no comics message boards ...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

If there were no comics message boards ...

Postby Eli Katz » Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 pm

... how would your reading choices change, if at all? In other words, how many comics (and which ones) do you buy so that you can discuss them online? And which books would you drop or avoid, if there were no internet?

I am more inclined to follow event books, I think, because of online discussions. Without The Outhouse, and I probably wouldn't look at Original Sin.

Advertisement

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 758 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Re: If there were no comics message boards ...

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed May 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Absolutely nothing would change for me. I just buy what I enjoy. I don't buy stuff I'm not interested in just so I can join in on conversations. I would miss out on some recommendations but I rarely join in on comic book conversations because I'm at least a month behind on all my reading.
Last edited by GiveWarAChance on Thu May 22, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

oogy likes this post.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby AngusH » Wed May 21, 2014 11:51 pm

I'd probably be spending a lot less money. When I got back into comics a few years ago I was just grabbing a couple of DC's New 52. Message boards led me to Image/Valiant/Dark Horse/et al who now take most of my money.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 am

Message boards, or comic book websites in general. Pretty much all promotion of comic books occurs in other comic books or on comic book websites, so I think I'd read a lot less. Talking with people on The Outhouse and also reporting on comics has caused me to get into a lot of Image, Oni, Dark Horse, etc. stuff, whereas I would likely just have a subscription to X-Men if not for the comics internet.

If we're just talking message boards, I think that void would be filled by social media and blogs/comments.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 am

Oh, and another point, I keep up with a lot of mainstream comics, particularly the events and big books, almost solely to be able to report on them.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu May 22, 2014 2:26 am

I'd probably miss out on a lot of interesting stuff I get recommended online, but on the other hand, I would be able to enjoy what I do read a lot more, without going online and immediately seeing that somebody else hated it, and how it was offensive and awful.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 22, 2014 4:44 am

Punchy wrote:I'd probably miss out on a lot of interesting stuff I get recommended online, but on the other hand, I would be able to enjoy what I do read a lot more, without going online and immediately seeing that somebody else hated it, and how it was offensive and awful.

How does someone else's opinion of a book flavor your enjoyment of something?

I enjoyed the Fuck out of the new Godzilla movie despite all my facebook friends trashing it before and after.

Pink_Orchid likes this post.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 586 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu May 22, 2014 4:49 am

Eli Katz wrote:... how would your reading choices change, if at all? In other words, how many comics (and which ones) do you buy so that you can discuss them online? And which books would you drop or avoid, if there were no internet?

I am more inclined to follow event books, I think, because of online discussions. Without The Outhouse, and I probably wouldn't look at Original Sin.

Honestly, it would not change my buying habits, other than perhaps giving something a bash because a lot of other people seemed to be enjoying it (as is happening with Marvel's Moon Knight right now).
"Something good, something bad -- little bit of both?"

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu May 22, 2014 6:53 am

Saga. American Vampire, Walking Dead, The Unwritten, Bandette, etc, I only started reading them because of what I've seen on line about them (and if any of you wrote about them - Thanks!).

Events: Civil War, Infinity, AvX, Amazon's Attack, Planet Hulk, etc - I would have stopped buying them early and utterly, but the boards were/are so much fun to revel in how bad many of them were that I (stupidly) bought them just to participate.

So yes, boards have changed my buying habits.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 333 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu May 22, 2014 7:08 am

Eli Katz wrote:... how would your reading choices change, if at all? In other words, how many comics (and which ones) do you buy so that you can discuss them online? And which books would you drop or avoid, if there were no internet?

Dropping - Little to no effect. I don't think this board has convinced me to drop anything I am currently reading. That decision is entirely dictated by the writer and artist of the book, and their inability to deliver content I enjoy and feel is worth both my money and my reading time (as well as space in my comic boxes in the closet). Indeed, I greatly enjoy Gail Simone's Batgirl and have kept reading it despite the generally negative vibe that exists for that series on this board.

Avoiding - Some effect. Sometimes things people say on here make me decide to avoid a story, an arc, a series, or a crossover. However, by and large these decisions are ones I had been considering anyway. For example, as soon as I heard about Future's End, I knew I probably would not partake. The information provided here convinced me the decision was right. It probably saved me the first 1-2 issues, which I might have been foolish enough to try if I had had zero prior knowledge of what the story would be about, but I am confident that, in the end, I would have probably made the same decision either way.

Trying - HUGE effect. Before coming to this board I was largely a DC reader. When one DC book annoyed me, I would drop it and pick up another. This was the same habit I had gotten into in the late 80s to 1999, at which point I stopped reading comics until 2012. But when I came back to comics, I retained the same behavior. Maybe by now, without the board, I would have started switching more to Marvel. But what this board did for me was opened my eyes to some really awesome indy titles. The list of titles I tried because of positive reviews and attention on this board includes Lazarus (my current favorite series), Velvet, Alex + Ada, Ghosted, and Suicide Risk. I have since dropped Ghosted (just this week, in fact), but the other four are at the top of my pull list in terms of quality and enjoyment. Most recently, I tried Rai because of a mostly-positive review here, and really enjoyed it, although whether I'm going to keep it on the pull list remains to be seen (I don't decide that until I have at least 4-5 issues under my belt).

Now, I suppose that indirectly the board has affected what I drop, if you consider that, without books like Lazarus and Alex + Ada to replace the DC items, I might still be sticking with mediocre stuff like Worlds' Finest and Earth-2. But once I sampled these other titles and saw how good they were, and specifically how much better they were than the GNU 52, dropping the DC titles in favor of the Image and Boom stuff was a no-brainer. And that is all down to the exposure these series received here at the OH.

As for how many comics I buy so I can discuss them online -- what a strange reason to buy a comic. No, I don't do that. I buy comics to read them and collect them, period. I come here AFTER reading them to discuss what I liked or did not like, to be part of a conversation that the companies by and large don't allow anymore (no letter pages), etc. I may come here BEFORE buying something to see what the skinny is if I am in doubt. But I do not stand in the shop looking for comics I can buy that I would not otherwise purchase, just so I can discuss them. I can't imagine doing that.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 333 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 am

AngusH wrote:I'd probably be spending a lot less money. When I got back into comics a few years ago I was just grabbing a couple of DC's New 52. Message boards led me to Image/Valiant/Dark Horse/et al who now take most of my money.

^^^ This too.

DAMN YOU OUTHOUSE! YOU ARE MAKING ME POOR!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 22, 2014 7:18 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:Absolutely nothing would change for me. I just buy what I enjoy. I don't buy stuff I'm not interested in just so I can join in on conversations. I would miss out on some recommendations but I rarely join in on comic book conversations because I'm at least a month behind on all my reading.

This guy right here got me into Marvel NOW! comics. Jerk. And Hickman too.

TBH if the OH collapsed it's comics forum I wouldn't post here anymore. Adversely, if I wasn't able to see what people here were reading and taking about, I wouldn't have started buying comics again a couple years ago.

So if I never joined these forums ten years ago, I would have stopped reading comics after Grant Morrison's X-Men and focused on getting a real job.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 22, 2014 8:42 am

I would never know or care about some of you assholes.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Rob Thompson likes this post.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 112 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Thu May 22, 2014 10:36 am

My buying habits wouldn't change, but my enjoyment is often dampened by reviews and opinions on message boards.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 586 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Thu May 22, 2014 10:38 am

Lord Ice wrote:My buying habits wouldn't change, but my enjoyment is often dampened by reviews and opinions on message boards.

:lol:
I do not know if I would go that far, but I do agree no boards like this might leave me feeling less as though I were a minority in the things I enjoy.
"Something good, something bad -- little bit of both?"

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand